Menopause Community
Dry Mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Dry Mouth

I am a 47 year old woman with terrible dry mouth.  I have had several tests and the doctor can't find anything in the blood tests.  This is miserable!  Could this be a symptom of perimenopause and is there some type of medication that could help?  I have tried many over the counter remedies and nothing seems to help.

Tags: dry mouth
I don't know if it is related to perimenopause, but I have been experiencing the same thing off and on. This past week I have especially noticed it. I drink a lot of water throughout the day, yet my mouth and throat feel so dry. Last night it was really bad, I kept waking up to take a drink of water, and this morning I woke up with my period.
I have not yet seen a Dr. for this specific problem, but have seen the Dr. for the many other "perimenopausal" symptoms I have been experiencing. Of course the Docs. can find no cause for any of my symptoms and even the 40 something female docs act as if they have never heard of menopause.
Each and every month seems to bring on something new, it can be quite frustrating.
Forgot to mention I also had really bad dry eyes yesterday and last night, seems a little better today???
I don't know if dry mouth is related to menopause.  I know it can be caused by certain medications and a lot of thirst can even be one of the signs of diabetes.  I read that caffeinated beverages can cause dry mouth.  Dry eyes I heard is something that comes with menopause and it certainly has come to me.  I have to use eye drops.
Did you ever get a response about your situation with your mouth?  I too have starting having these symptoms over the past 45 days.  
Thanks. Lisa