Menopause Expert Forum
Endometrial Biopsy

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Endometrial Biopsy

I am 52 yrs old and menopausal.  My last period was almost 2 years ago.  Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer (caught it at a very early stage).  Had to go thru several sessions of radiation,  Took taxoxifen for almost 8 mos and stopped it a few months ago - couldn't take the side effects (hot flashes, etc.) started seeing a Naturopathic Dr. instead.  Few months ago (2-3 mos) I have been spotting intermittently.  Ultrasound results showed thickening of the uterus lining.  Aug 14th went for a biopsy to GY - I was told that I shd expect some spotting for a couple of days after the procedure.  It is day 5 today and  Im getting heavy period with lots of clots - not sure if that is normal.  I wont be able to talk to a doctor till Tuesday and Im very concerned - what could it be??
One thing that tamoxifen can do is to increase the uterine lining and make it thicker. That could contribute to your extra bleeding. The lining should thin out some now that you are off the Tamoxifen. Your doctor might want to check your uterine lining again with an ultrasound in another 3 to 6 months to see how things are going.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
i just had a endometrial biopsy last week cause of bleeding so much and found out i have uterine cancer, and have to see a oncologist tomorrow and im scared, and shocked that i have this. can the biopsy be wrong?  my brother found out  he has prostate cancer and my mom and sis had hysterectomy.  i keep telling myself this is wrong and i dont have this. is this normal ?