Menopause Expert Forum
Endometrial Stripe Measurement

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Endometrial Stripe Measurement

I have always been regular with my period. It began when i was age 11, and I will be 50 next month. I assume I have been going through peri-menopause for a few years now since my period gets irregular every so often. Sometimes I would get my period twice in a month, or sometimes it would skip a month.. But basically it was still regular. I might add that my periods have always been long, 7 days, and heavy, especially on my fourth day when I would pass many clots.

Just this past summer, I missed 2 months.. Then this November 11th I got my period that lasted a little over a month. It stopped for 2 weeks and came back with a vengeance.. Heavy with much clotting.My doctor ordered a sonogram. The results came in and now I need a biopsy which is scheduled for Jan. 8th.

The results of the sono were as follows. : The uterus measures 10.6 cm in length and 6.73 cm by endovaginal examination. Endometrial Stripe measurement is 3.7 cm, which is prominent, and this finding requires further examination. No myometrial abnormality is identified. Left ovary is larger, measuring 3.4 x 3.0 x 1.6 cm, and contains a mildly irregular 1.8 x 1.4 x 1.0 cm hypoechoic cyst. No free fluid is demonstrated within the pelvis.

A little background. I have 5 children, had 4 miscarriages. I took progesterone suppositories with 4 of my pregnancies. Not sure if there is any relation to the thickening of the endometrial lining.

Needless to say i am a nervous wreck thinking of the possibility that I may have cancer..
It sounds like your doctor is going about this in a very good way. The next step of checking the lining with a biopsy will tell what the thickness is due to. Cancer takes a long time to happen and the precancer stages can usually be reversed with hormones. There are also benign causes of thickened uterine lining that are not due to cancer at all. The ovaries are not particularly enlarged and the cyst could be normal and just need a follow up ultrasound to see that it goes away in a few months. The number of pregnancies and needing progesterone for some of them is not likely to be related to the thickened lining.

The good news is that you are looking into this very soon and it takes a good amount of time for benign things to turn malignant so hopefully this will all turn out well for you.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.. It is very much appreciated.. I do feel a bit more hopeful now...Thank you again..