Menopause Community
Excessive bleeding at 50

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Excessive bleeding at 50

I realize I'm in my peri-menopausal phase. I've been through excessive bleeding a few times now that lasted more than a tow and three weeks at a time... and then back to regular periods, light periods, often periods and even missed periods for about 3 months, until now. Been doing this now for a couple of years off and on. I don't have insurance, and can't afford to go see a doctor. I am normally a very healthy athletic-type person. But this time... I am getting a little concerned... because I started with a very light period for about two weeks. Then about 2 weeks ago I started bleeding heavily again... major blood clots too, sometimes as large as a baby's fist. I can't imagine where all the blood is coming from. I'm trying to keep hydrated, knowing I'm losing so much blood. I'm going through about 2-4 super tampons an hour... and often finding myself just sitting on the toilet to just "drain" some of the clots and blood out, to save on the expense and the hassles of the tampons and pads.
I've already done the emergency room visit many months ago when it was my second run in with the excessive bleeding and large clots. Of course their only basic comments were that I needed to go see a physician, have some tests run for the uterine walls and get put on birth control pills to help regulate my cycles. I know it's easy for them to tell me to go see a doctor... but that's why I was there in the first place! If I had the means to see a doctor, I wouldn't have gone to the emergency room.
So here I am, back in the same place. Getting more concerned daily about what my body is doing to me. Is there anything in particular that I should watch out for that should alert me to go back to the emergency room? Like I said, I don't have a doctor. I don't have money to start making appointments, nor get treatments.
??????
Hi -- You may want to try and repost here on our expert forum where you can ask a Dr:  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Gynecology---Womens-Health/show/103

Keep us posted and feel better soon!