Menopause Community
FSH levels bounce

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

FSH levels bounce

Can you tell me why my fsh level was 41.5 two months ago (no period for 7 months) and then dropped down to 15.8 recently?  My doctor had told me that I was post-menopausal in June and I was quite surprised when I began menstruating recently.  The doctor ordered bloodwork again and it is no longer in the post-menopausal range.  I have been struggling with left lower abd pain that was diagnosed as diverticulitis.  My mom died from fallopian tube cancer so I try to be cautious and diligent.  

Thanks in advance,
DL
I've had the same thing happen to me.  My FSH was at 35 (which is considered post menopausal), then dipped and I had 3 periods more after that.  As I've had it explained to me by my doc, it seems that our bodies do fluctuate with hormones and the FSH levels are not "stone" to go by.  It's more symptoms than that level as it does fluctuate it seems.  Our ovaries and other hormone systems dictate that.  

Stress can throw a curve-ball into our hormones as can diet and exercise levels which can all wreak havoc on our FSH levels as well.  I don't think that you need to be concerned over the FSH levels as it's more or less a guide and can fluctate greatly, depending on our bodies.  

The fact that you're under a year with no periods is still peri-menopausal stages so, the fact that you've gotten another period means very little as long as the period is within normal realms (although, after 7 months, it could be much heavier and longer lasting so, stay calm about that).  

Given your family history though, it's best to keep an eye on things and if something doesn't sit right with you, question it until you get answers that make you feel comfortable with it all.  

Keep us updated!!!
I believe my FSH levels were artificially high due to the extreme stress of living with a schizophrenic step-son and other factors. My periods had gotten erratic and I was experiencing some menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes. My GP checked my FSH level in 2010 and found it to be 10. It was rechecked in June 2012 and had reached 60+. I was greatly dismayed to be told I was in menopause. I went six months without a period, but then they started up again in October and I have had completely normal periods in October, November, December, and January. I am wondering if the June FSH test could have been impacted by the fact that I had just had mono (diagnosed in early March). I also had to travel for work in May and had never flown before, so I was terrified leading up to that event.