Menopause Community
Feeling Confused

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Feeling Confused

Hello.
I am 39 yrs old, will be 40 on July 22nd.
I am feelng confused because - for about 5 yrs now I have been on various kinds of birth control to help with menopausal symptoms and hormone regulation that I had been dealing with since I turned 31. Usually, except with this last brand I've been on now for almost 9 months, after some time on them I'd get heavy periods and break thru bleeding every month. Not with these newer ones I've been on.
Back in March, on the 24th, my GYN/Onc did an Endometrial Ablation using Novasure, D&C, and removal of my Cervix for "cockscomb cervix" - At that time, I had not had a period for 3 months and only very little spotting which was stress related a few days before that surgery.
Well, it's a few days before July, and I have gone another 3 months with no period and no spotting - so, almost 7 months now with nothing.
At my 2nd post op appt on Friday of last week, the dr sent me to get a FSH blood test, I know what it is... I should hear back today on those results.
My question is: What could all this mean that my body has been going through, even after the surgery now.. and still not having periods even after having been on the pill for almost 9 months? (total time on all pills, 6 yrs) it seems my body, even on the pill, has not been regulating hormones anymore.
Is this normal? Am I normal? :(
Well, an update. I just heard back from the nurse at the GYN office with my results of the FSH blood test. She said, I am not in Menopause. My level was 7.4

I don't understand then, why for 9 ys, I have had the night sweats, hot flashes (every day!) Thinning hair with some loss, crazy periods, middle weight gain, you name it I've had it. And no period for almost 7 months.

5 yrs of continuous birth control pills to help regulate periods and my hormones as well to help alleviate or relieve some of my symptoms all this time.

Please someone help me to understand what is happening to me after all this time?
If I am not menopausal, then wth is happening/going on?

I have had my thyroid tested and that too is fine.
Hi, did the dr test the Free t3 and free t4 or just TSH? Sometimes, they only test TSH, and it can be normal, but the others out of range.
I realy don't know - all she said was the FSH was 7.4 and that meant I was not in Menopause.
Now you know why I am still so confused :(
TSH and free t3 and free t4 is for the thyroid. Get those checked, because the thyroid has some of the same symptoms as the menopause.
Oh, well like I said in my first post; I did have my thyroid tested first and that came out fine. I had it tested 2 weeks before they did the FSH.
My 2nd post, not first.
like I said in my first post, did they do a free t3 or free t4 or just a TSH>
Friday they did just the FSH and nothing more. I had the thyroid tests done a few weeks prior, other than that just cbc and other normal pre-op tests for surgery that I had done. I don't know any other tests, their names or what they mean or do, just the FSH and thyroid ones. I'm sorry.
It really sounds like you have POCS.  Has a doctor ever mentioned this?  The thinning hair, weight gain around middle, irregular periods...there are some great web-sites out there you could check out.  http://www.****.org/.  Just a thought.
good luck!
Hello Mid, thank you, and no my dr neve mentioned this before..I am going to read up on it, and maybe find out if there is some test that can be done for that too.. I appreciate you giving me that to read on.. I feel so confused with all this mess, I'm sure you understand.
I am sorry if I come across as ignorant about terms and tests, etc.. I am so new at this medically, not physically. You know?
wow, even facial hair! I have chin hairs and even some on my upper lip.. you know, mustache - I take and pluck them all, each week! Thats just another thing on that PCOS that I read and have had for yrs! So far, it's as if this was written using my own story!
Glad to hear you found the info helpful.  I hope you can find a doctor that can help.  They are out there.  I used to work for a gyne that was very knowledgeable in that area, and she helped out a lot of women.  Hang on there is hope!
Thanks so very much, I really appreciate it.