Menopause Community
Fever, Profuse Sweating, Exhaustion - Menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Does Perimenopause and Menopause have symptoms of having a fever, breaking out sweating, and physical exhaustion after an episode of this?

I am 48 years old and am in Perimenopause. I have periods where I spike a low grade fever, 100 degrees to over 101 degrees. After a while I break out in a full body sweat, have chills and feel extremely exhausted. I have spoken with/seen my PCP and he told me to sit in front of a fan it would help. He also told me it was caused by hormones.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem? Is this possibly due to Perimenopause?
I'm not sure that we actually get a fever during hot flushes.  I have not taken my own temperature during one but, I'd say that if you've got a steady body temp of 100 to 101, there's something else at stake here rather than hot flushes.  

More often than not, a hot flush can leave you feeling drenched with sweat and exhausted and you can get "chills" after them because we're usually wet from sweating.  Exhaustion can come often after these hot flushes but, feeling exhausted all of the time or having a fever for more than the duration of the hot flush is not (to the best of my knowledge anyway), part of hot flushes.  You may actually have some sort of other problem going on within your body such as a virus or infection of some kind.  

If you have a steady temp of 100 to 101 (not just during a hot flush) and/or you are exhausted all of the time with chills etc., I'd go and see your doc or another one.  

In the meantime, dress in layers so that you can peel some layers off during one of these flushes and put them back on during the "chill" phase.  
You are definitely in the throes of peri (or in my case) full menopause, and yes, all of what you are feeling is exactly what happens to you... feel terrible but it is part of being estrogen deficient - get your levels checked right way and find ways to remedy.

The fever I get all the time as well as the crushing fatigue - ***** but its a normal, icky part of what we all live through in this phase of our changing bodies.
I just wanted to add that I bought a remote control fan for my bedroom.  Nights have usually been the worst time for these for me.  With this fan, I use the remote to flip it on during the hot flush and turn it off or the speed down during the "chill" phase.  I also no longer sleep with a comforter on but, rather a couple of thin sheets.  I pull one or all off during a hot flush, then put them back on in layers as needed.  The comforter is folded at the end of my bed to pull back on again if I am really chilled for as long as is needed.  I drive my hubby nuts! LOL

I have found that if I stay away from caffeine a few hours before bed and in general (I've switched to decaf coffee, teas and if I drink soda, it's decaf) if I stay away from caffeine, hot and spicey foods and try to control my stress levels, they are far less or weaker in intensity.  

You're not alone in this conundrum that even medical authorities don't quite know what to do with. :)  

(By the way, I just want to clarify what I meant about the fever part of my response.  IF you have a steady body temp of 100 to 101, it *could* be something other than a hot flush.  Our body temps DO rise during a hot flush but, should not stay raised on a regular basis.  It should be in normal ranges when you are not in the throes of a hot flush.  If you have a regular body temp of 100 to 101, it *could* mean something else is going on along with the hot flushes.  If you are only getting these body temps during hot flushes, it can be normal as long as it decreases to more normal levels while not in the throes of one.)
I just want you to know that you are not alone.  I have been having actual fevers for about eight months now.  They would come with no other symptoms and eventually I realized that they correlated with both my ovulation and my menstrual cycle.  All my blood tests at my regular physician are fine.  The fevers start at 99 but often go as high as 102.  They have lasted as long as a week at a time.  Then they go as fast as they came and I'm fine.  I have also noticed a sudden loss of leg hair and very weak periods.  I believe the fevers (although very unusual) are a result of changes in my hormones.  
Hello Dear,
Yes it is due to Peri-menopause. Many women experience the same issue in it. Don't Worry. Take proper diet food and add lots of vitamins to it. Do regular exercise. This all will helps you to take relief from menopause. Even you can take some herbs like Red clover, **** Quai this will helps you for hot fleshes
i went thru menopause early started when i was 44 i actually got really high fevers 102 sometimes higher that would last about 3 days, chills really bad too.  this would happen on average 2 times a month and lasted a year, i had alot of headaches and felt like crap in between these fever bouts.  once i finally had fully gone thru menopause it all went away.  yet the doctors did a million tests saying it wasnt the menopause that caused the fevers they could find nothing else wrong.  My conclusion is that some people's bodies react differently to going thru menopause.
I agree with your conclusion.  My awful experiences of everything mentioned above have been going on for approx 10 years now and the medics have not come up with any answers that I've found consoling or helpful such as what I've read in this forum.
Thank you
I'm so glad you posted this because I've been doing this and suspected it was related to perimenopause. I'm 44 and it seems like a have had a new symptom every few months for the past couple of years. I had hot sweats about once/week for a month and haven't had them since. I didn't have a period for 5 months and then they started back up again. I had increased hair loss for a while but that has stopped. I have bouts of aches and joint pain, especially after a long vigorous workout. I have breakouts of painful androgen acne around my ears, back of my neck and sometimes on my chin line. It seems like every symptom can be explained by perimenopause, so I'm chalking it up to that. I had my thyroid checked and it was normal. I take a hot bath and it feels really nice and alleviates the fever symptoms. I think we all just need to baby ourselves :)
I SWEAR I HAVE HAD EVERY SYMPTOM LISTED FOR PERIMENOPAUSE...MIGRAINES, FEVERS, SEVERE BODY ACHES AND PAINS, VERY MOODY,ANXIETY, PANIC ATTACKS, YOU NAME IT, I GOT IT..MY DOCTOR SAYS NONE OF THESE SYMPTOMS ARE RELATED BECAUSE MY HORMONE LEVELS ARE FINE AND I STILL GET MY PERIOD EVERY MONTH...HAD OTHER TESTS DONE AND ALL CAME BACK NORMAL...I AM VERY FRUSTRATED AND I FEEL NO ONE ELSE AROUND ME CAN RELATE...I AM 47 YEARS OLD AND MOST OF MY FRIENDS ARE AROUND THE SAME AGE AND THEY ARE NOT HAVING ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS...READING THIS BLOG MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I AM NOT ALONE GOING THRU THIS HORRIBLE TIME...I JUST WANT TO FEEL LIKE ME AGAIN!