Menopause Expert Forum
HIgh FSH normal Estrogen

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

HIgh FSH normal Estrogen

I was told at 27 that I had pof (FSH was 165, estrogen was undetectible). I was given bcp and took them until 3 months ago (I am now 39). I stopped the pills because I suddenly started having really high blood pressure peaks. The bp is normal again after stopping. I have had no menopause symptoms since stopping the pills. I even had obvious signs that my body is producing estrogen, such as fertle mucous, increased energy, etc. In the last 7 days I have had cramping, extreme hunger and spotting, which is now becoming heavier like a period.  My doctor tested my hormones 4 days ago and the results confused her. My FSH was still high at 121, but my estrogen was normal at 60. She said I had the blood tests of someone on birth control pills and was confused because I have been off of the pills for a little more than 3 months. She said that possibly my ovaries are kicking back in and just to watch it for the next four months. Every doc. that I have told about the pof has questioned it because I have had 3 children naturally and never had any problems with hormones, periods or getting pregnant. Also, I was diagnosed with subclinical hashimotos about 5 months ago, even though my thyroid and tsh levels were just borderline low and high, I had antibodies. I have not been treated, but my thyroid tests were run with my hormones this time and they were normal now. Could there be a relation there?

Thanks!
Your FSH levels are consistent with premature menopause. If you were on the pill, the LH and FSH values would be low, not elevated as they are. Have you gained weight? Some of the estrogen could be from the fat cells. There could also be other sources. It does not seem your ovaries have "kicked back in" because the FSH and LH are still high.

Thyroid and estrogen are related. The higher the estrogen, the lower the thyroid and visa versa. So the fact you are off the pill could make your thyroid levels in your blood slightly higher than they were. At some point, you will likely need to take thyroid hormone.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD