Menopause Community
Has anyone had stress incontinence, leak urine when coughing, etc.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

I have a few specific questions about stress incontinence.  I finally talked to my gynecologist about it who described the tests they do, etc., but said she wanted me to see a urologist to be sure I'm doing Kegel exercises correct and for biofeedback.  I've had this for at least 3 years and I'm now 52 years old and premenopausal.  I leak urine with harsh coughing, sneezing, laughing hard, heavy lifting and sometimes running.  I've adjusted my lifestyle to try to live with this, no heavy lifting or running or laughing hard.  If I'm alone and cough, etc., I cross my legs to stop the leak which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  Does it get worse as I proceed through menopause?  Since I don't leak urine on a daily basis, would it still be worth the time, embarrassment, etc. to proceed with the urologist and all the tests? I'm 5'6" and weigh 186 pounds, but is this considered obesity and making the leaking worse?
hi i am 50 yo premenopausal. i have had urine leakage since i gave birth to my son 17 years ago. it's not too terribly bad though. it happens when i cough, sneeze, laugh or do jumping jacks. it has gotten a little worse as i have aged.

a relative had the prob chronically (she had to wear a pad all the time) and she had surgery to correct (i think they tightenend the tissue that holds the bladder in place & put a "sling" under it to prevent it from drooping again). she has been fine since the surgery about 2 yrs ago.

if you see the problem as interfering with your lifestyle, seeing a urologist would be in the cards. your weight may be a factor as well.

gl
I've been dealing with this problem for some time, too.  I'm only 27 and it's bad enough that I have to wear pads and disposable undergarments every day since I was in college.  I've seen a urogynecologist and am in the middle of an evaluation.  I've done a lot of Kegels, but have not had much improvement.  Unfortunately, the doctor tells me she doesn't want to recommend surgery yet because I've never had children.  I'm not totally sure why that disqualifies me, but we'll see.

-Rachel
Rachel,

It shouldn't disualify you for the surgery if you are willing to consider  a C-section. If you were to deliver vaginally it could break the sling... this could also be replaced... might want to get the opinion of another doctor

H
i am 14 and have that problem for sometime too.i havent have my period yet so i am very embarrassed to ask my mom for pads.whenever i go to PE i will pee.my teacher is male and dosent understand.i always go to toilet before PE but that doent help.sometimes it is very noticeable and my friends all laugh at me.boys tease me too.kegels dont seem to have any effect but crossing my legs seems to work sometimes but sometimes it doesnt.it also happenes when i laugh and cough hard and i have to stuff tissue paper in ther everyday and it gets all soggy and torn and hard to remove.please help me any ideas would be welcome.
I hope you got help because you need it.

As a shy teenager that must have been agonizing.

Jean
I am very surprised to hear everyone suffering with this..My sisters had the same problem and had this fixed by their OBGYN suggestion, and they were in and out in a day and are fine and do no longer have this problem. it has been years. This is such an easy fix. I am astonished that there is not more information about this. An OBGYN knows the test that needs to be reun and it can be fixed easily..