Menopause Community
Help! Fallen Bladder!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Help! Fallen Bladder!!!

I am 40 and have never been pregnant or given birth. i am actively trying to get pregnant and have very regular periods. however, i have recently been diagnosed with prolapsed bladder. this is upposed to happen in menopause and in women who have given birth! what could be the cause of this and what are my treatment options??? i'm so confused. i am due for my period on the 25th and have no usual symptoms.Please help!!!
thanks, angela :(
Angela, I've been going along with a prolapsed bladder AND uterus for nearly 20 years now.  I was in my 30's when mine happened.  It can be a bit of an inconvenience with a bit of incontinence but, that's about the extent of the problems I've had.

And, no, it's not always childbearing that causes the bladder to prolapse.  It's more common in women who have given birth but, it also happens in women who have never given birth.  

A prolapsed bladder is caused by weakened pelvic floor muscles.  It can be caused by all sorts of things like being overweight, chronic straining during bowel movements, heavy lifting, or just a predispostion to weakened pelvic floor muscles.  Kegel exercises can help (Google Kegel to see how to do them).  It won't reverse the prolapse but, it helps greatly to keep incontinence under more control.  

Surgery is what fixes this.  They tighten up the musle/ligament that holds the bladder in place.  

To the best of my knowledge, a prolapsed bladder will not affect you getting pregnant or your pregnancy.  It may make incontinence a bit more of an issue during the pregnancy but, it won't prevent you from getting pregnant or going through a normal pregnancy.  My gynecologist at the time said that he didn't want to touch my prolapses (both bladder and uterus) at the time in case I wanted more children and told me that I'd be fine during a pregnancy, even with a prolapsed uterus.  The bladder was of no concern during it.  

Talk to you doc though and ask these questions.  Given your age, I'm not sure that you'd want to wait around to have it repaired, recovery time and then, try....only to have it possibly prolapse again after giving birth.  The doc likely won't want to touch this until after you're finished having children.  I'm not a doctor though so, best to talk it over with him/her.  It's no big deal and as far as I know, it won't interfere with you getting pregnant or a pregnancy.

Let us know!  Please update us.  Best of wishes!
Thanks so much for all of the helpful info. i went to the doctor this week and he actually said what u said about not touching it with surgery until after becoming pregnant and giving birth and reccommended a c-section if i ever get that far.
its kind of discouraging to be so young and have this problem. i know all about kegels and have been doing them for years. apparently it wouldnt have mattered either way if it is a genentic abnormality or just plain hereditary.
again thank you so much for all of your input you have definitely helped to put my mind at ease. :)

jewelrygirl1169