Menopause Expert Forum
High FSH 79.4

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

High FSH 79.4

I am 40 yrs old. I got off bc at the beginning of the year, I still have not gotten my period.  The doctor started me on provera and it didnt' work.  I got a FSH test done and came back at 79.4 which is menopausal. I also had a prolactin and Thyroid test done and came back normal. Does this mean my ovaries have completely stopped working?
The doctor still doesn't know why at my age the FSH would be so high.  Is this normal?
Your hormone level does suggest you are in menopause. Although the mean age of menopause in the United States is 51, and the range is from 45 to 55, there are about 1 - 2% of women who go into menopause before age 40. That is called premature menopause. Some women can go into menopause even in their 20s or teens. Since you were on the pill which makes FSH levels lower, you might have been in menopause for some time and just didn't know it. It does not mean you are "abnormal". It is just atypical or less common.  

Since you are in premature menopause, talk to your doctor about whether or not you want to continue on estrogen. Get a bone density to know the baseline levels of your bones' thickness, and talk about a treatment plan.

Although some women do rarely restart their periods, it is very uncommon.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thank you for your prompt and informative response.
The same thing has happened to me (went off bcp and no period--even tried provera)--but I am 25. Ugh. Good luck!
Looking back i had a a 93.8 FSH when i was 31 years old and my doctor said it was just stress and since i wasn't trying to conceive at that time i didn't think much of it.  Be aware of all the doctors that give you the same talk about just being stressed.  
My FSH level is a 142 which is scary! More bloodwork has been ordered, so we'll see what happens next.