Menopause Expert Forum
High FSH but recently pregnant

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

High FSH but recently pregnant

I stopped taking the pill in August 2006 and started having reg. periods every 40 days give or take a few days. After Christmas we started trying to get pregnant and got pregnant in May. 7/8 weeks later I miscarried. After 3 months with no period I went to the doctor and got the following blood results:

FSH  60.9 U/L
LH     17.2 U/L
Progesterone    1.2
Oestradiol       46 pmol/L

My GP spoke to an endocronolgist and I am now taking Primulot N to bring on a period.

Does this high FSH mean I am in menopause? And if yes how could i get pregnant 5 months a go?
Will I be able to get pregnat again?
What if I don't get a period after Primulot?
Is it possible to have a high FSH as a once off and it be meaningless? If I am mid-cycle and the FSH is high is that less significant than if it was high at day 3?
I have just turned 32

Very scared.
Thank you in advance.
What you are describing is very confusing and upsetting for a young woman trying to conceive. At 32 it seems you should have plenty of time to get pregnant. But for about 1 percent of women, the transition to menopause comes much earlier than expected, sometimes when a woman is in her 20s or even in her teens.

The fact that you got pregnant is very good. But it does not mean you can or will again. Your blood tests suggest you might have been able to conceive because you were on the pill and this was shortly after coming off of it.

Go see a reproductive endocrinologist and talk with them (ie a fertility expert). They might try giving you medications that contain LH and FSH to try and stimulate an egg to develop. They might give you another type of medication to turn off your ovaries for a while like the pill did and then treat you with fertility medications. They might draw a blood test every few months and when the FSH goes down, use that window of time to treat with fertility drugs. They might talk with you about using the egg of another woman to try and conceive (egg donation) but using your husbands sperm and you carry the pregnancy. Whether or not you bleed after the Primulot will not determine if you can have a baby. So go see a fertility specialist soon.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Dont be scared you are pregnant and the last thing you need is anxiety.  Your FSH levels are very high indeed but you see you got pregnant anyway and that just goes to show that it is all about a higher force rather than those FSH levels and Estradiol etc..

I am 40 and my FSH levels are under 10 and I havent been able to get pregnant. Consider yourself very lucky.  Good luck with the baby and pray for me.
I am not pregnant...I miscarried and since then have had no period...
Dear Dr Seibel,
From your answer, I understand that you think I have premature ovarian failure? Is this correct? Is there anyway of looking at these blood results which may mean I DON'T have premature ovarian failure?

I don't physically have any other symptoms, beyond being irritable with my husband a little to often...
I feel physically fantastic, and have an excellent diet and exercise 5 times a week (although prob 5 kilos overweight) Looking forward to your reply.