Menopause Expert Forum
High FSH level with no symptoms of perimenapause..

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Hello,  I am a 36 y/o, healthy woman.  Recently, I decided to get tested to see my fertility level (FSH).  To my surprise the level was 23.7.  My doctor is also scratching his head, for there is no other evidence of perimenapause or POF.  I am currently on the birth control pill (Yasmin)uninturrepted for 7 years.  The FSH level was tested on the fith day off the hormones.  The doctor also ran a CBC and thyroid test...both came back with NO abnormalities.  My mother and grandmother both started perimenapause at about the age of 47. I get regular peroids and never missed a month with noraml PMS.  I originally went on the birth control pill purely for protection from pregnancy while in a serious relationship and never to regulate my cycle.  The only symptom I get and I have been getting for several years on and off are night sweats(sometimes the week off the hormons or mid month)...I believe this to be related to Yasmin.  I have decided to stop the birth control pill and retest the levels within 3 to 6 months.  

My question is...Can the FSH level be off do to the hormones in my body for 7 years straight?        
For the FSH level to be accurate, you have to be off the pill for at least a week. The fact that you had an FSH of 23 does suggest you are going into perimenopause. But these levels fluctuate quite a bit and your level next month could be back down to normal levels. However it seems that the direction is towards perimenopause.  Being on the birth control pill for 7 straight years would not make your FSH level rise. Unless you want to have another child, having an FSH of 23 should not matter. It does sound like a good idea to begin taking calcium and protect your bones and get a baseline bone density. You might not actually go through menopause (defined as one year after your last menstrual period) until you are well into your 40's. It takes about 10 years once perimenopause begins.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thank you Dr. Seibel...I appreciate your time and expertise!  One final concern and question..I do not have children and so badly would like one..also, I am not in a serious relationship at this time.  Do you think I could be a candidate for freezing my eggs?