Menopause Community
Hotflashes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Hotflashes

I am 52 and I suffer horribly from hotflashes. I have gone a year with no period , so I am at Menopause stage. I can't take hormones they don't agree with me plus I have allot of cancer in my family. Is there anything else that will make these hotflashes go away without taking hormones?
Go to the natural food store and they will give you something natural to take.  Don't let them sell you a ton of stuff.  Just go to the aisle that says "women and menopause".  They have something there that you can take and it will limit your hot flashes.  My girlfriend is taking them because she also has cancer in her family.  I went through menopause at 50 and just tolerated the hot flashes.
Thank You! I have tried Natural stuff like black Cohosh that doesn't seem to do anything. What did you friend take?
This is EmilyMary's friend Linda.  I went to the health food store and got something called Menopause AM/PM formula.  You take two pills twice a day, one in the morning and one at night.  The pill in the morning contains green tea and ginsing for energy during the day and black cohost for the hot flashes. The pill that you take in the evening contains black cohost, valarian and hops. Black cohost again is for the night sweats and the valarian and hops help you to sleep NATURALLY without hormones. It took about 4 weeks to take effect but I am noticing a difference with the hot flashes and the insomnia.  Try this and see if it helps you.  Good Luck!
Ok, Thank You!
I am 47 and post-menopausal.  I had severe hot flashes for 4 years, but refused to take HRT.  I could not take it anymore, and just began using Lexapro.  WONDERFUL!!
Thank you for your reply compumom61....I have bad side effects from SSRI antidepressants so I stay away from them, worse than gaining allot of weight from it. I'm so sensitive to pills. I could open a drug store with the pills I have in my medicine cabnet that I have tried and couldn't take,
Hi Mel:

Have you asked your doctor about Estroven?  My doctor told me to try that.  It works wonders.  There's 4 different kinds.  I started having hot flashes in the days and then all through nights for over 2 weeks.  I called my doctor then so I bought a box--there's 24 in a box and it started working the very first night.

Hi Postie,

Thanks for your reply, no I haven't asked him about Estoven, but I did try Estroblend it was allot cheaper for 30. I don't know if it was working or not, it did seem a little more milder but I stop taking it and it was sorta better, if it starts up heavy again I guess I'll get another box. They all seem to have Black Cohosh and soy. My doctor once told me that soy can cause cancer so I am scared of that too.I have allot of cancer in my family. I know that Black Cohosh is the Natural ingred for Estrogen.