Menopause Community
How long will hot flashes last?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

How long will hot flashes last?

I am a 61-year old woman who had a hysterectomy at age 40 but my ovaries were left intact.  Since I no longer had a period after that, it was difficult to determine exactly when menopause started.  My doctor put me on HRT at age 48.  I took those for 7 years and then decided to stop after all the negative reports about HRTs came out.  Once I stopped the HRTs, I started with very severe hot flashes and night sweats.  This has gone on for almost 7 years now and while their severity has lessened some, I still experience hot flashes at least once an hour during the daytime and every 20-30 minutes at night.  I have tried all the soy-based products, black cohosh and a prescription drug for blood pressure that my doctor said may help with hot flashes but none of them had any effect at all.  After 7 years of hot flashes 24/7, I am at my wit's end.  The only remedy my doctor has for me is to start back on HRTs which I don't want to do.  Has anyone had this experience of hot flashes for such a long time and is there any hope they will stop anytime soon?
I am 56, and had a hysterectomy when I was 39. I took HRT for 7 years also, I am still having awful hot flashes. Sometimes I can have 4--5 at night, and probably 3/4 in the day. The daytime ones are not as bad. I get a horrible anxious feeling with them as well at times. I am also wondering when this will all end. I have been to my doctor and had loads of test, according to him I am still in peri menopause.!!  Lack of good sleep and feeling so awful is really affecting my quality of life.  Have you had any answers yet.??  I have tried all kinds of natural remedies, nutritional help, etc. I am feeling at my wits end.  
I am aged 60, had a hysterectomy at 48, did not need HRT till 5 years later, came off of them last August 2011 on doctors reccomendation, I am trying at the moment anti depressants, as doctor said these help, but i'm so tired and the sweats are really bad, day and night, I really do sweat, so much so I want a sweat band round my forehead, it pours out of me, anyone got any new ideas please.
I am pretty much the same.  Had a hysterectomy in 1989 aged 42 and started having hot flashes at age 49.  Was prescribed HRT and they stopped the flashes.  Stayed on HRT until doctor advised they weren't good for me.15 years later.  I stopped the HRT and within a few weeks the flashes had started back severely.  I saw the doctor and said my quality of life had diminished to zero so he said to go back on them.  Another 2 years on and another doctor has said to get off them again.  I have been reducing the dosage gradually and am back down to one per week but the flashes are back with a vengeance.  I am considering upping the dosage until I gain some control of my life.  There has to be a better way.  Surely medical science can come up with something to help women that isn't going to kill us in the end. I have just read about black cohosh and also Phyo soy and will give those a go before I do go back on HRT.  Maybe they will help.  I will keep you posted.  Good luck ladies.