Menopause Expert Forum
How to tell if I'm menopausal

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

How to tell if I'm menopausal

I'm 48 1/2 years old. I'm still on the pill (Mircette), which I've taken continuously for years with a break every 3-4 months due to endrometrios issues. I've notice that my periods are light to non-existent this past year, so I switched to the monthly plan to check what happens on a monthly basis. I only get a period for one day. That's it. And it's always the same day. This has happened three months in a row now. (I use to get a very, very light period for three days.)  I know the pill will cause a period, but only one day? Is that an indication that I might actually be menopausal?  I've had night sweats and hot flashes for over a year, maybe two.  I'm currently uemployed so I don't have health coverage which leaves out a test from a doctor.  I'm going to take a break from the pill for two months to see what happens, (and to save money), but how can I tell, after being on the pill for so long, if I am truly menopausal?
Mircette is a low dose combination pill. After being on it or any birth control pill for a long time, it is not unusual for periods to get lighter and shorter. It will take a month or two off the pill to see if you are in menopause. You will know you are if your symptoms increase.  It is possible that you are already in menopause if your symptoms of hot flashes, etc. occur while you are on the Mircette.  While you are off the Mircette for a month or so, you can have a test for FSH. If it is elevated, it suggests you are in menopause. However, as mentioned, if your symptoms increase off the pill, that will also suggest  you are truly in menopause. The Mircette might be helpful to you in preventing osteoporosis so if you come off the pill, get a bone density in a year or so to see if your bones are thinning.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thanks. And, silly me, I'm 49 1/2 years old!