Menopause Community
I have a frozen shoulder, did lack of estrogen trigger it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Hi, new to the group and glad I found this site. I'm post menopausal, 53, have frozen shoulder for almost 2yrs. After reading all the posts, I wonder if it's lack of estrogen. I've been to 3 drs about my shoulders and they all say the same, it's inflamed and takes about 2 years to heal. I don't have severe symptoms. Light flashes during the day, no nite sweats, but sex drive is gone, I'm sexually dead inside, I hate it, my boyfriend hates it, I'm a senior caregiver, I exercise thru out the day, my diet is clean with a few indulgences :). Before menopause and frozen shoulder, I was having the time of my life, take no prisoners. Boy did menopause change my life, with the clean diet, exercise, my joints still ache like crazy. Lately, my hip joint us so sore and stiff. I was wondering if it's the lack of estrogen. I read somewhere that estrogen is like lube for a woman body. I would love to hear what u ladies think. Thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Frozen shoulder most often occurs with no associated injury or discernible cause.  Frozen shoulder most commonly affects patients between the ages of 40 to 60 years old, and it is much more common in women than in men. If there is prolonged joint immobilization, the risk of developing a frozen shoulder is highest.
Pain relievers, such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with frozen shoulder. Stretching exercises will help maintain as much mobility in your shoulder as possible. Injecting corticosteroids into your shoulder joint may help decrease pain and improve shoulder mobility.
However the night sweats and low sex drive may be attributed to low estrogens and HRT may help with this.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.