Menopause Community
Irrational Behaviour

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Irrational Behaviour

My mom is going through a rough time with Menopause, and it is taking over our home.  She's constantly nagging, and keeps over reacting to the smallest things.  Seems like i can't even talk to my her, because she's always upset with something.
Any suggestions as to what she can do? Or what we can do for her?

Thank you
Hi...I went through that with my sister. We finally sat her down and talked to her, along with her husband. She went to the doctor, started on medication and is doing very well. Sometimes it's hard to tell a person that their irrational but be persistant. I used to look at my sister when she'd flip on me and say "are you done"? Sometimes she'd laugh, sometimes she'd want to throw me out a window I'm sure. I think for a woman that's going through menopause, it can be very hard first of all to admit and go see a doctor. It's admitting we're getting old and that's not always easy. So talk to your Mom, sit down...first make a cup of tea for her and hide all sharp objects.....
Good luck......it will all work out.....
its hard going through menapause. i had to have a hysterectomy and after it no hormone meds, cause of ca. and the mood swings and hot flushes are awlful. but im trying to deal with it. i get upset also over little things. maybe you all need to have a family talk and let her know and ask her how you all can help her in the house etc.
Mala, I agree that your family needs to talk to your mom about what is going on, and encourage her to see a doctor to help her -and you!- out.  I went through something similar with my mom years ago.  She was very irritable and angry and over-reacted to the point that we were always walking on eggshells around her; anything could set her off!  It was only years later that I realized her emotional problems may have been related to menopause. Living in that kind of environment is not good for you.  That is why it is so important for you to encourage your mom to get help.  You deserve a healthy emotional environment to grow up in!  Also, there are  books on menopause now that may help her recognize similarities to what she is going through both emotionally and physically.  They also discuss the various approaches women may consider to deal with their symptoms.  2 good books are "the pause" by Lonnie Barbach , PhD, and "Healthy Transitions" by Neil Shulman, M.D. and Edmund S. Kim, M.D.  Good luck!