Menopause Community
Is FSH test reliable for menopause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Is FSH test reliable for menopause?

I'm almost 57 and haven't had my period in 5 months. I recently had my FSH test and estrodial. My estrodial was 46 and my FSH is only 8.   It sounds like my estrogen is low but given my low FSH what exactly does this mean in terms of when I'll go into menopause?   The only time I get hot flashes is in summer, in winter I'm always cold and putting the heat up.  Is the FSH test reliable for menopause?
Hi heart2heart.  In my case, when I spoke to my gyno about when I will be going into menopause, she told me that we cannot rely on the FSH test regarding peri-menopause or menopause; that basically, its mostly usless and a waste of the patients money.  She told me that it is because what is considered the "normal range", regardless of age for some, is not necessarily what is "normal range" for others at that age.  I've been told basicly the same by various doctors regarding blood pressure readings, cholesterol readings, blood sugar readings, etc..  She told me that the only way, I as your doctor, can claim that you are in fact in menopause, is to hear from "you" that you have not had a period in "12 consecutive months".  Then, you can come to me and report it and I will be able to tell you "Yes, that you are in fact in menopause."  That was pretty much the end of story for me and my doctor on that subject.