Menopause Community
Is this normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Is this normal?

New to this, so I may not word it right...49 yr old female, had 4 children-the last one almost 15 years ago. At that time I had a tubal ligation. My period has been regular until a couple months ago. Had my normal cycle 2/28/2013, then no period at all in March. Went on vacation in the mountains in April and my period started, heavier than normal and lasted almost 10 days. I chalked that up to the change in pressure, etc of being in the mountains. Well, as I said my period lasted almost 10 days, stopped for about 6 or 7 days and started again, and has been going for 9 days. Is this normal for perimenopause/menopause? Should I be worried? I am calling my doctor Monday to see when she can fit me in, but my husband is terrified of the possibilities of cancers. I have to admit that the more I think about it, the more it worries me and concerns me also. Any thoughts?
Could easily simply be your hormones acting up... I am a 43 yo woman, and have had similar hormone 'spikes' that cause weird periods, as well as breast pain, and even lactation.  Sometimes my sex drive will even go way north or way south.  My husband hates 'south' (snicker).  No reason to be terrified until the doctor gives you a reason.  You will find out soon enough.  God bless - Blu
Another thing that can readily happen in the 40s is a uterine fibroid.  If they happen to be near the cervix, it is common for them to cause long, constant periods.  (They are not cancer, and totally benign, though the bleeding can become an issue.)  Your ob-gyn could sign you up for a uterine MRI if she wants to check that.
Sounds like typical perimenopause symptoms to me.  I too am 49 years old and my cycle has become very erratic. I've gone as long as 10 weeks without getting it and other times it shows up after just 15 days. This is to be expected as you approach menopause.  Wouldn't hurt to see your doc, but I don't think there is anything for you to worry about.
Have you checked your thyroid?  In addition to ruling in/out fibroids as AnnieBrook mentioned, hypothyroidism causes changes that have symptoms similar to perimenopausal symptoms.  For me, I didn't have strange cycles, just fewer and fewer.  Typical cycles up to about about 46, then 10 the next year, two the next, two the next.  I didn't have long periods ever, never had two a month.  Each person is different so its important to check out anything questionable with your own doc.
I have had the whole night sweats/hot flashes/lack of sex drive for about 8 years now...drives me nuts and my husband nuts too! Everything is so unpredictable, you don't know what each day will bring! I talked to my doctor and she advised me to keep track of the syptoms (symptoms)/periods or lack of periods for the next 3 months. Then we will go from there. I was not too happy to hear that from her since if it is something bad it can grow in those 3 months, but, she told me that my pelvic exam was normal, I am not bloating, and I am not constipated all the time(just occasionally), that it was safe to do the 3 month wait. So, I am on the 3 month wait, keeping track of everything I feel, and everything weird my body does! I will keep everyone updated on here. Thanks for your advice! Nice to know that I am not the only one who is feeling this way!
They checked my thyroid and told me it was in normal range. As I told BluCrystal above, the doctor wants to give it 3 months (with me keeping track of everything) and see where it goes as all the tests/exam were normal. I guess I should just chalk it up to aging and changing! But, we do have a history of different cancers in my family so I tend to be overcautious. Thanks for your advice!
Thank you! I went to the doctor and she thinks it is all just typical perimenopause too. She told me to keep track fro 3 months, then come back as my pelvic exam was normal, and all my tests were normal. So, I just keep riding the rollercoaster!