Menopause Community
Joint Pain and progesterone cream

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Joint Pain and progesterone cream

I am 49 years old have been experiencing joint pain, primarily in my hips , ankles and thumbs for the past couple of years. My joints feel almost like they are losing their lubrication and are "loose". I have had several xrays and have been to a rheumatoligist to rule out arthritis. Xrays and blood work do not point to rheumatoid or osteo arthritis. As a side note, I experienced similar joint  pain (and heart palpitations )when I was pregnant and went away after delivery which makes me beleive that this joint pain is hormonal.  I have also been experiencing other perimenopausal symptoms, difficulty sleeping, night sweats, occasional heart palpitations, vaginal dryness, mood swings and depression. My PCP checked various blood work, FSH ( within normal range) low Vit D, ( replaced) and because my periods are still regular, although much less flow, he does not believe I am perimenopausal. I disagree. Is it safe to assume that I , in fact, am in perimenopause?
I have tried several anti inflammatory medications, ibuprofen, arthritis strength tylenol, naprosyn to name  a few, and nothing seems to alleviate my discomfort. A friend suggested I try using progesterone cream ( natural Yam) and I immediately felt relief of my joint pain. Is joint pain an actual symptom of menopause?  Is progesterone cream safe to use?  The comfort I gain from using the cream seems to wear off toward the end of the day. Can I use it twice a day? Is there any thing else I should be doing or using?
Dear Donna,
Just read your posting and wanted to make a comment. I am starting to believe more and more that the joint pain is due to menopausal or pre-.  specially that I hear from several the same symptoms when pregnant.  This might have to do with the water collecting around the joint and salt saturation. I would say to at least reduce your salt intake.  I am going to the Rheumatologist for my joint pain today to make sure no other illnesses.
I can't help you with the progestron take. How ever the herbal hormone balance formulas are starting to reduce my hot flashes and sleep disorder.

Good luck to you!
Katia
I was feeling the same symptoms and after visiting several doctors, (who by the way told me it was all in my head I was just stressed and attempted to put me on anti depressants).  I started to do my own research and decided to go see a GYN who dealt in natural hormone replacement.
After a simple saliva test she had a compound pharmacy put some hormone replacement creams together for me and most of my symptoms went away.  After two years I started to lower the dose down to almost nothing and the joint pain and other symptoms are back, so is back to the HRT for me again.  My doctor tells me in time I will be able to get off the meds as she did with out any symptoms, but for now the Natural HRT have helped.
Read Suzanne Sommers book on hormone replacement therapy is an eye opener. she has done all of the research for us.
Good luck,
Mari
I have had severe joint pain every other month around my cycle for almost 2 years.  Each month I have it, it gets worse and I feel like my hips are loose and spreading.  It is as if I were pregnant, but I have not been pregnant for 3 years and don't plan on it.

I also have night sweats, weight gain and sore breasts.  The joint pain and hip stretching is the worst.  I bought progesterone cream and was planning on using it to see if it helped.

Have you found any other answers?