Menopause Expert Forum
Long, light period

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Long, light period
I have been having an abnormally long period this month.  My normal period is 3 or 4 days, and they have been regular for as long as I can remember.  Suddenly, this month, after what appeared to be a normal period (although it arrived about a week late), my flow seems determined not to end.  I have been going about 12 days now, and while it had been quite light, today it is more in the moderate range.  
I am 44, and am wondering if this could be peri-menopause.  I don't smoke, am healthy and active, and have never had any irregular paps.  I am a bit weak feeling today, but think that is probably because I am getting sort of worried.  This probably isn't related, but I have always had asthma--its controlled and I exercise daily--but today that seems worse as well--maybe stress?  I am under tons of stress as well, as I am in grad. school and teach, and the demands seem to increase daily.
I would appreciate any input on this--Thanks!
A. There are several things. First, stress can cause abnormal bleeding. However, so can a lot of other things. If you are feeling weak, ask your doctor to get a blood count (CBC). They may also want to check your thyroid hormones. Perimenopause is another cause and blood tests for LH, FSH and Estradiol can help sort that out.  If your asthma seems worse, it could be do to allergies, but could also be due to other lung problems, stress or other problems as well.
Given all these things, it sounds like you should go and have a visit with your doctor.  Get examined and have some blood work to figure out which of these things are the cause of your problems. One last thing. If there is any chance you could be pregnant, get a pregnancy test as well.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD