Menopause Expert Forum
Low Back Pain 1 week Prior to Period

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Low Back Pain 1 week Prior to Period

I am 38 and for the past 6 months have noted that exactly a week before my period (which has been erratic), my tail bone/lower back goes out.  It is quite painful, stopping me from running and a lot of other activities.  Also, it tends to go "out" during this time, when I lean over mostly.  I go to a chiropractor who adjusts me (and comments that it is really out of alignment).  And, on most occassions, I receive an acupuncture treatment (which really helps).  I am in pain, stress about it, have higher than normal anxiety for about a week.  Then, magically, the day my period starts, my back is fine.  

I have started bc pills (Yaz) for the past month and into my second month of pills.  I know this is hormonal with the erratic bleeding and periods.  They did a blood test to see if I was starting menopause.  The day that they took the blood, I felt fine and knew the test would be normal.  It was.  

I have a small belly-button hernia that is being repaired in 2-3 weeks.  I am hoping this will help my low back issues.  

Could this be related to pre-menopause / hormone imbalance?  I am to see my gyn in another month, but the anxiety of all of this is starting to take its toll.

Thanks for any help.
Low back pain is a very common problem. It can be caused by a great many things. Certainly, skeletal alignment problems are one of them. However, it could also be due to endometriosis, a condition in which menstrual blood flows backwards into the abdomen and implants there and eventually starts to menstruate internally. One other gyn cause could be blocked and swollen fallopian tubes. The third week of the cycle the fluid normally made by the tubes can cause swelling and pain if they are blocked. A pelvic ultrasound can help figure that out. There are also many other things that could cause these symptoms though probably not perimenopause.

Though possible, it is unlikely the umbilical hernia is causing this. You might consider seeing the gynecologist soon. He/she might want to do a laparoscopy (belly button operation) and look inside of your abdomen to see if there is any endometriosis at the same time you have the umbilical hernia repaired so it is only one anesthesia.  They might also get an ultrasound. You might also want to see an orthopedic surgeon to evaluate your back.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD