Menopause Community
Low Iron level in 49 yr old female

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Low Iron level in 49 yr old female

I am a 49 year old female.  My doctor informed me that my iron level is low and she suggested that I have a colonoscopy.  I do not have the lab test  numbers.  What would she be looking for if this test is performed?  Are there other tests that should be performed before a colonoscopy is ordered?
I am 47, the Dr founded iron low as well. She send me to do a home test first to see if blood was on the stool. The test consist that for three consecutive days I needed to put a little stool sample in three like little envelopes that she gave me with the date. Then I took them the her office. The result was ready a couple days later; negative. Everything was normal. Started taking Iron pills.
A colonoscopy wont hurt you anyway...
Take care