Macafem Work?
Hi Everyone.  How are you?  I'm new to this board and am hoping that you ladies can help me.  I am thinking about trying macafem supplements and wondered if you have tried them and if you got an results?  How long did it take to start working?  I'm at the end of my rope and need to get some help fast!  I'm currently 42 years old and started into menopause around the age of 38.  I'm not sure if I have "normal" meno symptoms or not but I have been tested and that's what it is.  I am freezing cold all thur the day [yes I have had thyroid tested its normal] and than at night I'm so hot I can't sleep!  I have gained 60 pounds over the last year and a half [thinking it's due to lack of sleep as well as chocolate cravings that are unbearable!]  I have no sex drive at all, in fact I got married a year and a half ago and we have had sex once - that is not like me at all - before meno I had a high sex drive!  But the biggest issue for me with meno is the tiredness I have.  I am just so tired I can't do anything!  And I mean nothing - I lost my job about 6 months ago because I just couldn't do the job due to being so tired!  I have been to tons of doctors and they all say it will get better when you get peri - I can't wait that long!  I looked into going with BHRT but the cost for the first visit with labs would be about 1000.00 and not covered by my insurance!  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I read some great things about macafem and am thinking about trying it but before I order it at about 30.00 I would like others thoughts.  Any ideas or info you can give me would be great.  Thanks and have a great day  ~  Wellness_Seeker
Thank you for your blog. Was really interested in macafem as my libido was on the floor and was recommended to get some. Now I will check out the health store for macca. Hope your flushes have abated by now as it's 2014 lol
I wanted to add for anyone reading this now in 2016, that I hope you are doing well. I have no problem with libido but the fatigue really hit me and I found out I got hypothyroid. I had gained weight as well. I have never been hypothyroid in my life. So maybe menopause can bring that on as well or peri-menopause. So for those of you with fatigue. Get your TSH taken!!! I have lost 20 lbs and feel better.
mkh9
New here. In regards to your post in reply to another ill informed one...

May I take this moment to stand up and applaud.

That post is the one that is going to make me join this community.

I just started too! Hoping it works!! Lots of dryness! Nervousness, lack of sleep, restlessness! I will take your dosage..wasn't sure how to take it, thanks!
Try Revital Hair .... My husband has never been happier wen finally he has a full head of hair ... N result shows in 3 weeks ...
So so sorry to hear what is going on with you. Just a quick question. Have you ever had a hystretomy?? If not thats what I would do first and you will see most of these things with subside.
Best of luck.
Hi, thanks for your encouraging testimony.  I am 55 and gained 15 lbs. in the last couple of years.  I never used to have a weight problem until going through menopause.  I work out pretty regularly too and can't seem to lose one pound.  I have started taking Macafem and been using for about 2 weeks.  I have noticed a slight improvement with the hot flashes only.  How long did it take you to start losing weight and getting your libido back after taking Macafem?

Thanks and good luck.
FYI - Please stop by our new Bio-Identical Hormones expert forum where Kenneth N. Woliner, MD will answer your questions!

Click here:  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Bio-Identical-Hormones-/show/1799

Best,

Cheryl
MH Community Mgr
I am 52 and never thought much about my hair getting thinner or why my fabulous memory was getting worse. I have had trouble sleeping and waking up every hour and a few months ago started having problems digesting food and could not find out why . I also had a knee injury over the last year and blamed my weight gain on that . I had always exercised and never had a problem loosing weight until now . I have read all your stories and see we are in the same boat. Thank you for the info on Macafem and I also found Macasure online . I will test them out and let your know  .I would be interested to know if anyone else is having this stomach problem, basically no food stays with me and this has been going on for months and have tried everything . Thanks
I just turned 47 years old and I love this blog!

It's so good to know that I'm not crazy or going crazy because I can honestly say that doctors don't know anything when it comes to these symptoms.

My nightmare began last year when I began having severe lower stomach pain, both my primary doctor and my OBGYN pretty much blew it off as a sign of getting older. My periods were not consistent, I had severe lower back pain. Finally I went to my OBGYN and said this is NOT normal, he decides to do an ultrasound and guess what he finds? A fibroid tumor the size of a plum! He acts all surprised and just can't believe it. Says he wouldn't have thought that was the problem...WHAT....I was bloated, getting UTI's which I had never had trouble with before. It was crazy. He immediately schedules me for a hysterectomy but tells me my ovaries are good so he wants to leave them so I can continue getting estrogen and not get thrown into menapause. Surgery goes well enough, there were some problems, but nothing compared to what I was going through.

So now it's been almost a year and a few months ago I begin having migraines, mood swings, severe joint pain, libido (none), sleepless nights, there are times my breasts hurt so bad that I don't want to take my bra off and if I do I still have to hold them because any movement HURTS!  And to top it all off my hair coming out like it's never come out before. I pull it out in handfulls as I shower. Thank God I have thick hair and I'm hoping I won't go bald before this is all over.

I begin with my primary doctor for the migraines, she does an MRI, making sure there isn't a tumor, thank goodness that was clear. She puts me on Topomax which worked great for the migraines but the symptoms that comes with that aren't worth it. I was a "bear" to everyone around me. I stopped taking it and did my own research and found that even though I have my ovaries they may not be putting off enough estrogen which could lead to menapause and trigger all these other symptoms. By now I've had blood drawn by my primary doctor 2 times checking me for arthritus, lupus, and whatever else she can find. All is coming up clear.

Just yesterday I go to my OBGYN to discuss doing an estrogen level test. He actually acted like he didn't want to do it but to ease my mind he would. He said I'm too young to be in the process of menapause and that last he checked my ovaries were fine and that it only takes one ovary to give enough estrogen. I ask him about Macafem/Maca, he says he's never heard of that....WHAT? Again I'm amazed that these doctors haven't done the research I've done. I guess they aren't suffering, but their patients are. Anyway he says to me if it works take it, if it doesn't don't take it. I ask about HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy), cancer runs in my family, if my estrogen level is low I don't want to do the HRT, he tells me as long as breast cancer and ovarian cancer doesn't run in my family I'm fine and I can do the HRT. Well any kind of cancer to me that runs in your family puts you at risk, in my opinion. I lost my mom last year to cancer, so I'm not putting myself at risk if I can find something natural to take. Also just to let you ladies know, my doctor recommended a drink every night to help me sleep. Yeah...he did. I told him I'm not starting that habit. REALLY? He also wants to put me on anti-depressants. Which is not going to happen I've been there and done that, usually symptoms from those are worse as well.

My faith in doctors is not at a high level at this point.

I ordered the Maca organic herb on Amazon, $23.00 shipping and all. Two bottles 100 tablets each/800mg and I'm taking 2 tablets a day to begin with to see how that works for me. I've only been taking it now for about 2 weeks.

I'm curious to get my estrogen level test back and when I do I'll give an update.

Until then, I feel like we women are on our own to figure out what will work for us and what doesn't. Hard to believe this is the 21st century.

God Bless and good luck to you all! Any similar stories I would love to hear about your experiences.

P.S. Update....just got a call from my doctor. My hormone levels are half of what they should be. Wants to start me on hormone patches. I'm skeptical but thinking may be good to get levels up to where they need to be and then go back to the Maca. Anyone have suggestions or experience with the patches?
Having all the same issues, feel like I am going crazy.  How is the product working for you?  Lisa.
Yes, I have the hair loss issue as well.  Very thick hair down to showing through to scalp in just a few months.  Have you found anything that stops hair loss?
Most likely your thyroid. Hypothyroid.
At 51 I started menopause and was on nil medication previously. Now 55 and take Thyroid , BP ,Cholestroyl,Reflux, Vit D, Fish oil, St Johns Wort, Magnesium, and huge weight gains/ day night sweats/ dry hair/ broken fingernails/ dry skin/brain fog/ low libido/currently trying HRT patches. Have had bad crying episodes previously on them. Mother passed at 36 yrs from breast cancer so not happy on HRT.  Estrogen level is extremely low at 44.  At a loss at what to do.....
That is an awesome slideshow, thanks for sharing.
I started taking Macafem almost 4 years ago and it worked for me. All my severe menopause symptoms left and I lost 68 pounds in the course of the 1st year and a half. I was stoked!! I felt like a million buck!! It literally saved my marriage. At 2 years of taking Macafem,  I also found that the health food stores and GNC carried their own brand of maca root so I switched to them because of the saving. Well, after taking them for over a year I have put back on 23 pounds and those brands were not taking care of my menopause symptoms 100% like the Macafem had been. 5 months ago I switched back to Macafem and the menopause symtoms are gone again but I am struggling with getting the 23 pounds off, its not melting off like it did when I first started taking Macafem. I had a hysterectomy the 1st week of this past October and I have been out of work since mid September so I know I haven't been as mobile as I was and those have everything to do with my weight battle at the moment, as well as being 44. Getting old *****!! LoL. At anyrate I wanted to let y'all know what my experience with Macafem and the "other maca brands" was. I'm trying to get strong minded and get some sort of a exercise routine together soon and drop this extra weight but the Macafem is the only one out of, honestly, 11 brands that I tried, that really worked consistantly.
Luci - Your ob/gyn has not been honest with you or needs to educate himself. Removal of any female sex organ can disrupt the whole system (even if the surgery is done after menopause). Studies show that there is a 35-40% chance of ovarian failure after hysterectomy. And even when the ovaries continue functioning, menopause usually occurs earlier in women who have had a hysterectomy. Having only one ovary increases these chances. Here is one study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20729494.

How did the patch work out? I did not do well on the patch. I was a basket case in every way...was even suicidal!! Generic Estrace pills work much better for me. But we are all different so sometimes it can take a bit of trial and error.  
I know this was written a couple of years ago, but I'm responding in case someone comes across it while searching. I had what I thought was neurological symptoms. I felt certain that I had a serious illness. Finally, after reading other people's posts, I came to realize that the tingling, dizziness, muscle weakness, and other crazy symptoms were due to perimenopause. It has been a crazy ride, but I am much, much better these days. To anyone going crazy with meno-hell, hang in there! It gets better.  
Hi, I have had some good results with macafem and I'm happy! When I quit having my period I was having more than 20 hot flashes daily and around 10 at night. A friend of mine suggested I try Macafem and less than 3 weeks later I rarely feel even one hot flash a day and I don't have any more night sweats.
How much Macafem are you taking? And what brand? What time(s) of day do you take it? I'm considering trying it, as acupuncture, which worked very well for me for awhile, unfortunately stopped working. I tried a Chinese herb combo from my naturopath which had no effect at all.
I will have to say that Macafem has worked AMAZING for me!  I was having lots of hot flashes a day and mood swings. I have been taking for about (3) years now and cannot believe the difference.  I am almost 10 years into perimenopause and think I may finally have hit menopause (been 8 months since period).  
It takes a couple of weeks for full effect and you need to start out with (3) a day and increase up to (6) a day.  I would increase every 3-4 days until hot flashes decrease drastically.  The most you can take is (6) per day.  I take (5) a day ... (3) in the morning and (2) at night.  I have tried to decrease dosage a couple of times but the hot flashes and moodiness come back within a few days.

I also take (1) Vitex Chaste Berry Extract 225mg (Solaray Brand) at night with my night dose of Macafem.

Hope this helps!

Hi all, I just joined this board. When I turned 42 I started feeling menopause symptoms, especially hot and cold flashes. Macafem has been a solution for my symptoms. The first 2 days I felt bloated and then all was fine, I'm glad I didn't stop taking it cause it helped me A LOT!
Hello girls! I am 45 and in my peri but my progesterone is a bit higher than normal, oestradiol is low. Gained 12 kg in a last 1,5 years. Started having my weight gain problem earlier but it was manageable with the strict diet & exercise, NOT ANYMORE! I do spend 1 hour in gym everyday ( resistance training, weight training, cardio) + power walk 30-45 min + walk my dogs, there are a lots of things I dont eat anymore -  but my weight was slowly going up, no down, especially on mid section. Started Macafem 2 weeks ago 3 tablets a day - what a difference! I am not moody, not bloated, sex drive is back,my breasts fit in my bras again, fluid retention is not as bad as it was, and lost a kg !!  Not much but before Macafem it wasn't moving down at all. Apparently it is the only herbal solution which is not a replacement of hormones but a solution for balancing them.
I'm taking 4 tablets daily - 2 with breakfast and 2 with lunch. That worked perfect for me, but it really depends on each person, the dosage that works for my friend is 3 tablets and she takes 1 with each meal but her symptoms were different so try it and check what dosage works for you :) Xx
Good morning ladies, I think I have to be thankful and share my experience. I'm 51 and started the horrible menopause a little while ago with at least 5 hot flashes a day, 3 or more severe night sweats, my emotions were going up and down, thinning hair, palpitations, fatigue and more. So I found macafem and started 2 weeks ago, the first week the night sweats and fatigue disappeared, the hot flashes are less in number and intensity, and I'm hoping all the symptoms get disappear soon
Thanks for ur review on macafem.  I was considering using it to regulate my hormone levels and for my daughter's irregular periods.  Your review was very helpful.  Thanks!
can you tell me your result with maca.my hair is thinning too
It helps but you must do your part too. Check out these tips  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZO8qpyLdw
I am 47 and experience gain weight with menopause.I hurt about Macafem,but don't know what is the dose to take and have effect?

Thank for your help.
Macafem has been really good to me for hot flashes and night sweats for over a year. I think it could help you lose weight  just because it will balance your hormones BUT you must play your part by working out and eating healthier if you want faster and better results. In my case I love walking my dog for at least one hour a day and I started preparing fruit and vegetable juices to stop cravings... that has helped me a lot to maintain a healthy weight. Good luck.
Dear Mari Belle Thanks for your up date post I also have those neuro symptoms  will start maca next week, already tried Climara patch no help. Gald to know at some point things improve. Take care Dee
Thank you for sharing your information, I had chemo and radiation a year ago and had a forced menopause,  I am doing some dilating... and even with a cream, it hurts, that is just because the gateway closes.  Thanks for sharing I will purchase some pills and if it works, I will share this information with my chemo and radiation friends. :-)
I am in exactly the same boat you are in.  I started this journey when I was 38.  It started off with heart palps, night sweats, and extreme allergies.  I didn't know what was wrong and it sent me to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack.  I did not have health insurance, so testing wasn't an option.  Finally, a few years of misery later, and gaining 50lbs (without diet changes), I exercised 3 - 4 times a week and in a year and half I went from 147 to 190.  I finally capped at 220...No matter what I did, the weight would not come off.  I finally got insurance, and had a pap.  They said I had cervical cancer.  That was removed in November 2014, I lost 20lbs in a month.  So, since then, I've began seeing a trainer, workout 4-7 times a week, both cardio and weight lifting (I am 43 now).  I finally had my hormones tested (which everyone refused to do because they thought I was too young), I found out my levels are all post-menopausal.  This was discovered just a month ago.  I've had cancer screenings, thyroid tests, etc.... After two months of non-stop working out, I've lost 10lbs (appx).  I fluctuate between 189-194 now.  Still slow going.  I get the fatigue you are talking about.  Got it yesterday, and it is debilitating.  It takes ALL my thought power to just move, dizzy spells, vertigo, etc.  I go up and down like a yoyo, one day abundant energy, then the next day, just dragging.  I was looking into Macafem too.  I am a biologist, so I will refer to my botany books and other scholarly resources I have access to and get back with you.  I really wish the medical community would pay more attention to women's health issues.  We are sole providers for our families sometimes and early menopause, or finding ovarian cysts too late to treat is just unacceptable.  
Hi ladies, from what I understand Macafem stimulates my body's own hormone production, that's why it does not work immediately but it DOES WORK!
I've been on macafem more than a year, it took away my severe hot flashes and mood swings.
I also take thyroid medication daily, along with a number of supplements (Vit C, Vit D, milk thistle, Vit B + and a multi vitamin.)  I was diagnosed with breast cancer 8 years ago- have been clear since treatment but am on my second round of tamoxifen, for a total of 10 years on the drug.  I have had night hot flashes since the age of 45.  Anyone know if the combo of tamoxifen and thyroid meds will affect the efficacy of something like Macafem?
katiejor, if you are in Tamoxifen better consult your doctor before taking it or any other.
same here Gina186, I haven't been able to sleep for more that a couple hours a night because of horrible night sweats, and I didn't feel like myself at all. After finding macafem I decided to try it out I started with 1 tablet and then some time later went to 2. No more hot flashes or nightsweats...couldn't believe it in such a short time! totally ecommended.
It was an unlikely answer, but this stuff saved my life: Deer Antler Velvet is used in Chinese medicine for virility, but I've got to tell you, I am so grateful to my trainer for suggesting I try if for my hot flashes, joints going crazy, sleeping and sex drive.  I feel so much better, partially from not being so disrupted by the heat all the time, but also from the deeper, longer sleep I'm getting.  I tried Macafem too and didn't feel as much of an impact as I did with the Longevitrol.  It (Macafem) also contains corn starch and the company did not answer me when I asked if it was non GMO corn.  So if GMOs are a concern, it's a gamble.  
I have been taking 2 or 3 tablets a day. I still have flushes and sweats once in a while but not constantly like before macafem. I just feel better with my mood and everythng.
Thanks for your info. Ive been looking all over for this. I just ordered sum Macafem. hope it works for me too.
Hi LasticsBody I was wondering the same before buying. To me this product is a godsend! I've had the symptoms of menopause for several years, including the scariest one to me, irregular heart beat. I exhausted all the other options but nothing work until I took the plunge with macafem. My irregular heart beat and hot flashes have disappeared... if only I had known about macafem sooner!
I am very happy already, with this product. I just received the product yesterday and feel better. My hormone fluctuations have been terrible for a few years and nothing I have tried worked. I am 45 years old and have perimenopause for a few years. I am now in early menopause and felt like I was dying. Macafem is amazing and I will be ordering every month from now on.
Did you have the same symptoms as me? I am 47 y.o. and experiencing all these symptoms too! I talk to other women that are younger and older than me but no one seems to have the issues I am having! I have a shooting pain in my lower back that comes and goes, with weakness in my legs- a dull aching feeling in my muscles; sometimes is in my legs other times in my arms. My menstrual periods are so light that come every 4 months. In addition, I have mini-hot flashes and feel anxious like I am about to die. This is just horrible! I am an avid hiker, I eat well, no gluten or carbs; take flaxseed oil, Vitamin D3, 1000 mg of C vitamin and glucosamine chondroitin for my muscles and bones. I don't know what else to do. I have visited a back pain specialist, a neurologist, primary care physician and had acupuncture but nothing seem to help. I am driving myself crazy thinking that something else is really wrong with me. Any thoughts???
Yes yogaguru, our hormones are unpredictable. I would recommend you to try macafem, I found the official product at google shopping!
Hi I'm 51 years old and Ive had menopause for 4 -5 years now and my main problem is breast pain I was looking at buying macafem its expensive and I was wondering is it really worth it - I do get the hot flush (when you don't want it) my body is changing all the time, one week I can fit into my jeans no problem the next week they don't.  I'm fed up and need something so you would all agree with macafem ?
Hi, I've been taking Macafem for several months and had not even had one flash! An it's helped with other menopause symptoms as well. I have adjusted the the amount I take and every now and then I take a break and see how my symptoms go. I'm extremely happy that I found Macafem
I was experiencing terrible hot flashes and night sweats, so I tried Macafem and it stopped my symptoms after only two weeks. Some time after I found it also calmed another list of symptoms but the one it most relieved was joint pain, I can totally recommend this natural product, it has calcium and other vitamins and minerals that we all need.
I've been taking Macafem since 2 months ago, three tablets a day and my night sweats are virtually gone, I see a big improvement in the fatigue too. I am feeling healthier and I'm so happy I found this product online!
I've been in menopause for 5 years but haven't got any therapy yet.
I found this product online, it was hard not being skeptical about herbs but now I think I LOVE MACAFEM!, after 20 days of taking it, it took away my fatigue. My skin is looking and feeling good and my hair looks gorgeous to me now.
I hope my experience is helpful to you. Warm regards!
My sister-in-law swears Macafem helps her and she had horrible symptoms before taking it!
Hello everyone, I am going through the menopause and im 49. Im suffering with terrible lower back pain.  Night sweats and generally feeling lifeless. The backpain feels like trapped wind, but im not so sure it is. Been the GP, she wont give me hrt but gave me strong co-codomol, which didn't help at all.  any suggestions to help with my back pain, its far worse in the morning at 4am.
butterflybee, If nothing caused the back pain I would say start walking. It helped me. Is it in the bone or muscle? I can't take HRT either but I read that Estrogen/progesterone patches aren't bad for blood clots and many other problems as they don't absorb as much. I'm going to ask about these next week. I am just on estrogen vaginal cream and have been spotting for 2 weeks. I had night sweats they come and go. I keep a shirt and towel by the bed. So i can wipe down change into the new shirt and lay on the dry towel or wipe the bed down and flip the pillow and go back to sleep. It isn't great but it helps. My friend keeps a fan by her bed year round and that helps her. It is a small fan. For me getting a personal master trainer at the gym has helped me to almost get rid of my back pain. I had a muscle imbalance from sitting too much. It gave me tight quads in the front of the leg which pulled on the back buttock area. So i do certain exercises with weights and a quad stretch about 4 times a week. Try to not sit too much. If you are also up to date on your pelvic/Paps that is important too to make sure you dont' have any other problems. I know it is a rough time.
mkh9
Macafem is WONDERFUL!! After years of suffering hot flashes, depression, mood swings... I am finally back to my fun self again. My hubby´s comment last night was “Please don´t run out of those!” I have recommended Macafem to all of my friends.