Menopause Community
Macafem Work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Viewing 201-204 comments:
I was just looking around to see if anyone had anything to say about Macafem one way or the other and ran across your post. I just wanted to run by you a situation my son just went through. I know you had your thyroid tested but have someone look into your parathyroid for small benign tumors that drag your energy level down to almost unfuntionable levels. He was a rarety because it usually affects women. Even slighty high levels of calcium in your bloodwork are a sign of this disease called hyperparathyroidism. He just had surgery 2 weeks ago and feels like a new man. The hormone in this gland robs your bones of calcium and the no. 1 symptom is extreme fatigue. I hope by now you have resolved that issue, but if not speak to your doctor. We would never have made the connection except for an on the ball doctor. By the way did the Macafem help any of your symptoms?
hi ya i have been having symptoms of extreme tierdness and joint and muscle pain for about 2 years i am 48 and a personal trainer and nutritionist i train reguarly but am finding it increasingly difficult due to slow recovery after sessions i can completely sympathise with your predicament my best advice for weight loss is lower carbs increased meals 5 small meals a day to increase metabolism carbs should be fist sized i have plenty of other little techniques as for the menopausal symptoms i am at a loss will watch with baited breath to see how you all get on good luck
Speaking for myself, I know my husband suffers right along with me.  Though he is man enough to admit he has no clue what the medical side of hormonal imbalance must be like for a woman, and though as he says, he would take the suffering from me if he could, he truly wouldn't want to ever experience menopause.

He is also man enough to admit that until the day comes when a man has to go through child birth, having a period, and the fluctuation of hormones before, during and after a menstrual cycle, he has no damn business presuming he knows what a woman's body goes through, physically emotionally or otherwise.  

If your mother, God rest her soul, never had to deal with PMS, she was a fortunate woman indeed.  Not all women are blessed in this way.  However, not all women suffer from severe or debilitating side effects of menopause either.  This doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Saying that PMS is a made up illness is like saying men aren't prone to angry outbursts when their testosterone levels are too high.  Or that a man's hair doesn't start to fall out when their testosterone levels are too high OR too low.  Or that when a man gets older and he starts losing testosterone and can no longer get an erection it's all in his mind.

Before insulting women, and presuming to know what a woman's body goes through during hormonal fluctuations, perhaps you should speak to a medical professional like a gynecologist, or a doctor who fully understands hormones, so you can have a clue.

It is fortunate for your wife, she has never had to deal with PMS, because it's pretty obvious you would have offered her no comfort during her times of physical distress.

I will say a prayer for you, as I hope all the ladies in this group do as well, that you never suffer any debilitating illnesses where your loved ones turn their back on you in your time of need.

I am 46.  3.5 years ago I had very strange symptoms...lots of sudden anxiety, 25 pound weight gain in 9 weeks, I was a regular gym person.  I started to have night rushes of adrenaline, very hot...figured they were hot flashes.  They all went away in about 12-14 weeks.  The only thing I took was ativan for about 5 days.  I had my cortisol and thyroid, hormones checked, normal.  Now, all this time later, my hair is significantly thinning (has been for 6 years), and I am recently experiencing a strange kind of buzzing or vibration feeling.  It is not tingling, like when your foot goes to sleep.  It is more like an alka seltzer is in my blood.  Lots of muscle twitches from time to time, too.  My gyno tells me since my periods are regular, I am not in need of hormone supplementation.  She has never heard anyone complain of this buzzy feeling.  A trip to a neurologist and I am now on neurontin, takes the buzzy away..but no diagnosis.  Wants to do an MRI for MS, but I have no other symptoms and even if it's negative for MS, I could still have MS.  I feel like I was myself one day, and the next I was someone else.  I feel like I will never be who I used to be ever again.  What the heck is going on with me?  My libido is zip, dryness, and cyclical yeast infections...always after I ovulate.  I have cut sugar out of everything I eat.  Nothing packaged, I cook it all now.  Still have the itchy crotch problem at least every other month.  I began to work with a nutritionist 2 weeks ago and I have lost 7 pounds.  Encouraging, but 45 pounds is a lot to lose.  I am not even officially having hormone changes, so I have to get this off now, so when I gain what seems like the normal 40 pounds from menopause I won't be 80lbs. overweight!!  Ugh.  
How did you know 3 pills was too much?

I just started taking Macafem.
Good Heavens! I thought I was going crazy, and/or was dying of something for sure! I just started with so many of the symptoms this past year. My period is over - 3 months now. My mother never went through menopause, so I had no idea! I'm 52...you all have just given me back my sanity!

Licorce Root 3x's per day helps a little with hot flashes.
Apple Cider Vinegar 3TBS 2x a day is my new trial and is working for hot flashes.
Smooth Move Tea has flattened tummy considerably - one cup after dinner - watch out in morning - stay near bathroom until you adjust to it...about 3 days and you'll be good.

Need help with muscle aches - ouch
Thanks Bunches!!!!
I'm so sorry for us all...
One more thing...I'm not sure how anyone feels about this but I take 1 Benedryl before bed if I think I'm not going to sleep...it works. The active ingredient is the same as in Tylenol PM
I have been on Macafem on and off for over 3 years.  I find that taking 4-6 tabs a day truly reduces night sweats and daytime hot flashes.  I do find that after about 4 months I need to go off them and start up again about a month later.  They have been a life saver for me as night sweats were keeping me awake most of the night and then I was tired and irritable the next day.  Try them for at least 3 months and see how you feel.
I'm 47 and having some menopausal symptoms too. they are not to bad. Some sleepless nights, exercise does help. But my biggest problems are hair loss and mood swings. I have lost more than half my hair. I had very thick hair and I can now see my scalp. It's very embarrassing. Also the mood swings are bothering me. Hopefully it won't last too long. I have read most of these posts and only saw 1 mention of hair loss. Anyone else with this problem?
I'm 47 and having some menopausal symptoms too. they are not to bad. Some sleepless nights, exercise does help. But my biggest problems are hair loss and mood swings. I have lost more than half my hair. I had very thick hair and I can now see my scalp. It's very embarrassing. Also the mood swings are bothering me. Hopefully it won't last too long. I like the idea of B12 drops, but what is the hcg drops?
I am so glad I found this blog.  I began feeling ill 4 years ago.  I passed out in my kitchen and broke my nose, browbone, and severed the optic nerve to my right eye and lost my sight in that eye.  No hospital, no doctor NO ONE could tell me what was going on.  Every month right before my period I would get SERIOUSLY ill.  I was nauseous, exhausted, began having migranes (migraines) and was either homicidal or suicidal.  I began bleeding so intensely I go thru 5-6 super plus tampons a day with the blood still running down my legs. Sleep is a thing of the past.  Sex is a thing of the past. Energy is a thing of the past.  I have gone to three different OB's and they confirmed I am in menopause but the last OB just looked at me when I described what I was going through and said, "I've never heard of that". PERIOD.  Are u kidding me??!!!!  Well, apparently you women have!! At last I can remove one symptom (thinking I was going crazy).  I have lost two jobs due to memory loss and confusion and am currently wondering who to foist myself upon next.  Until I read this blog my self-esteem was in the bucket because I thought I had early dementia.  And DONT GET ME GOING on those Viagra commercials!  If you can't get it up I DONT CARE RIGHT NOW so why are you taking those damn pills?!!!  I am taking my vitamins and forcing myself through my daily routines but I have lost any lust for life.  My insurance will not cover bioidenticals and they run around $60/month plus going to see the 'I don't know' doctors.  I guess I should be happy I still have the energy to be pissed off.  I will take any suggestions you have.   The last doctor told me to go back on birth control.  I am tired of doctors playing with meds to see if my symptoms are alleviated.  I get the impression they know about as much as I do about what is going on.

Signed,
Lifeonpause
I also get the buzzy thing.  I just thought it was the result of sheer unadulterated exhaustion; another menopause symptom.  Since it doesn't bother me as much as the other symptoms I had ignored it, but want you to know someone else out here is suffering with it.
What a great forum!  I have just spent an hour or so reading right from the beginning and now its past 2am!  Another sleepless night!  I have been writing down all these natural remedies and will go to the shop tomorrow and see what they say.  
Thanks ladies for sharing all your problems, it certainly has helped me.
Macafem is an expensive brand of the herb maca, which can be bought at a health store.  When I first read about Macafem on its website, I was desperate and ordered it for about $35, since it claimed to be the only place selling it.  Then I found out that the health store nearby sells the identical product, maca, for $7.00.  So I returned the $35 product and bought the one for 1/5 of the cost.  My headaches and hot flashes were noticeably improved for a few months, but now they have become bad, though I'm still taking maca.  I'm guessing I am more intensely into the progression of menopause and I need to increase my dosage, so I'll try that.  I've been taking 2 or 3 capsules a day.  But I advise everyone to not be ripped off by Macafem.  Get the same product at a nearby health store.
Hello wellness-
I just would like to let you know that I've been trying macafem and It really works!!
It's been already a month and you can actually start to feel better in the second week,, try 4 caplets the first week everyday with your breakfast, and then 3 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon,,

My hot flasshes are gone and i feel more happy than ever,, I'm already 50 years old and my meno started 3 years ago,,
wish you the best!
I take Macafem and they do have an unusual smell... kind of reminds me a little of burned butterscotch!  I took Macafem for months and it really did help me, then I stopped and just started again!  I am very health oriented and do not just try anything without reading and talking about it first!  Go ahead and please take the Macafem, follow the instructions and give it some time, everyone reacts differently to things, but if has helped me because I was climbing the walls with night sweats and hot flashes constantly.
I wish you good luck!  
Vicky
5 years ago I had a terrible time with no sleep, joint/muscle pain, brain fog, itchiness, etc.  Perimenopause + stress.  Drs. checked everything and said I was healthy. It ends up I am very sensitive to foods that change hormone balances.  I needed to give up caffeine, chocolate, and soy primarily with tiredness issues related to yeast.  It's hard to watch my diet this much but totally worth it to be relatively pain free and able to sleep.  I need regular exercise as well, but no-one focuses on diet as much as I think is necessary.  If you are having undiagnosed problems with sleeping and other menopausal symptoms PLEASE try tracking your diet and try eliminating hormonal foods.  It has been a lifesaver for me.
Good luck,
Michelle
Hi reen and all women with hair thinning - my gyn said my hair loss was due to meno but that it would level off after two years...great, right, hope I'm not bald by then! Anyway, she suggested to lessen the amount of hair loss I begin using shampoos without sulfates or sulpher ingredients, and use a conditioner (sulfate free) only once a week (yes, it hurts trying to get that brush through my hair, but worht saving my hair.) Guess sulfates is an irritant at our age and causes the hair root to fall out. I have been doing this for two months and although there is hair loss, it certainly doesn't fill the sink as it did before. Another interesting tidbit, if you color your hair after 50 years old, any shampoo/conditioner with sulfates will take the color out quicker.
Your situation is terrible. I sympathize with the hot flashes, sleeplessness etc. I have not gained weight, although if this goes on for too long I might. My carb cravings are insane. I do work out but not to ridiculous levels. I have tried everything. Including bio-identical hormones. Incredibly expensive and caused terrible symptoms, breast enlargement and dreadful associated pain. Did fix the hot flashes, but brought back periods and had to cease taking them because of the dangerous breast side effects. Now periods stopped again thus hot flashes, night sweats back with a vengeance. And yes, worst of all, no libido. Zilch. And I love sex, well I used to. It's very sad. I have tried all the natural treatments on the market with no success. So was thinking about this macafem, but no-one appears to have anything great to say.
I really hope you find a successful treatment.
if you are on any other Meds.please check with your Pharm.for any drug reactions with herbal supplements,I took the black cohash without checking and ended up with a full body rash that lasted for weeks until  it was out of my system i guess.and it was my beta blocker/blood pressure pill that i was taking that i was not supposed take any herbal supplements with.so just check to make sure
I have the same symptoms you have that fuzzy feeling but also accompanied with tingling. I am getting tested by a neurologist but with all the other symptoms I know its menopause. Periods have been erratic and now have stopped for three months. I am looking at taking maca. All the best with your symptoms and keep me posted. One doctor recommended neurontin but neurologist told me to wait till my test results come out.
Am curious, you said you may still have MS although you have tested negative? I had a cat scan and MRiIand came back negative for MS although I also have parasthesia on mostly my feet. I would rather it was menopause than something neurological. You are the first person who has similar symptoms to my menopause symptoms so can relate to you. Please stay in touch. I will try maca though. All the best.
I was diagnosed with menopause last year at the age of 40. My main complaint was joint pain/stiffness. I am on a low dose Estrogen but try to take the minimum amount. What is most helpful is a hormone program called Women to women...they have a regimen of supplements that have helped me tremenduosly. Also, trying to stay away from triggers such as alcohol & caffeine...which is hard. It's a balancing act, when I take too much estrogen, my breasts become engorged & so painful. When Ireduce the dose, my joints hurt so bad. There is little support in the medical community. My Gyn doesnt really know much about it either. They put you on estrogen & forget about you. She cant really answer my questions either. I feel like Im in the dark trying to treat myself. Thankfully, Im a nurse with some knowledge & I try to listen to what my body is telling me. I actually diagnosed myself even though my Gyn kept saying I wasnt in menopause. Sure enough, checked my levels & I was in full blown menopause. So dont trust that your doctor knows what they are talking about.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a complete masectomy and reconstruction four years ago.  My cancer was estrogen fed.  I have had a complete hysterectomy a year and a half ago due to fibroids and irregularites in my ovaries.  I suffered massive bleeding during my periods and was constantly anemic before, but due to my breast cancer it was thought that I may have ovarian cancer since the blood test they ran came back elevated.  Totally different between breast cancer and hysterectomies.  Breast cancer is diagnosed and treated whereas a complete hysterectomy is a wait and see if you already have cancer or not but we must remove everything to find out.  Hmmmm... not so great!  Since my breast cancer was estrogen fed I was told I needed to go Tamoxifen which is a drug that acts on your estrogen so it doesn't create more cancer but my cancer growths were small enough I said no.  When the hysterectomy came up last year I was left with nothing and I could not take any kind of hormone because of the estogen fed cancer.  Well, after the hysterectomy I started experiencing all the horrors of menopause. Hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, sleeplessness(of course who can sleep when you are either burning up or freezing to death).  My doctor (who was a female and specialized in female cancers) prescribed an antidepressant.  One of the side effects of this particular drug was preventing hot flashes, so you know I said great!  I am not a drug taker even though I take a handful of vitamin and mineral supplements each morning(my mom is a health food nut and the vitamin thing is engrained in my brain).  The thought of relying on something that is not natural for my health does not get it but at that time I was game for anything and nothing else was in my realm for relief.  I have been taking the antidepressant for a year and a half.  I started out taking two a day with some relief but still night sweats and hot flashes persisted.  I started seeking other remedies, soy, black cohosh, and additional menopause miracles.  Nothing! I could have spent $$$$$$ but I had faith that one day I would be free of the heat.  I decided I was going to try to get off the antidepressant, I was told that there would be some withdrawal but not that bad.  I reduced my pill taking by half and the flashes were bad, so I started taking the whole 2 pills a day again.  I have gradually gotten down to one a day and my flashes and night sweats have all but disappeared.  I will reduce  another half a pill for a couple of months and see what happens.  I have gained about 15 pounds since the hysterectomy but am trying to eat right and walk everyday for 15 minutes.  I have to make myself!!!! Eating right is hard and ice cream is so good!!!!  I am a new grandmother and have two babies.  I take my happiness from them, my family and my wonderful friends and yes of course my husband.  
I might look at this hysterectomy/menopause thing differently if I hadn't had breast cancer but I don't think so.  Look for the little things in life to take joy in and try to be happy with life.  Things could be worse!!!!
I have been busy reading over a lot of these comments. I am fifty years old and a mother of 6.  For a few years I had quite a battle getting up in the morning, due to depressed feelings and achy stiff knees and joints. No libido!Tending to the house, husband and children, was becoming increasingly difficult. Then, my close friend, told me about a product called Laminine. Out of a courtesy to her, I bought it and started taking it. Within a month, no more stiffness, and my mood, energy, libido and sleep greatly improved.  I am fifty and still have a regular period, no major menopausal symptoms, and I feel fairly good. I still have bouts with an irregular heartbeat and heart palpatations. Cardiologist couldn't find anything wrong. Very frustrating, so I think I will check out my thyroid and parathyroid since my mother had similar problems. My brother suffered with fybromyalgia, and he started taking this product Laminine, He suffered for 4 years and he has been taking in for 2 months. He says he feels 95% better. Two other family members have had issues with depression and joint aches and it has helped them. I don't know if there is a connection, but I thank the Lord for His help.
Have you ever considered that some people can wind up with shocking adrenal fatigue in the situation she is in and need help NOT to work themselves stupid and make the adrenal fatigue worse. You have absolutely NO right to assume everyone is NOT exercising either!
As a 58 yo Nurse Practitioner and a Hot and Heavier women going thru all the same symptoms as you folks...I will offer what i am doing and recomending to my own patients with some success.
1. changed to a "whole food" lifestyle..no dairy or gluten, Organic (trial for 6 months) eating on the outside edges of the grocery store. Processed foods cause chronic inflamation (inflammation) in the body...with all kinds of outcomes, especially fatigue, insulin resistence, belly fat, achy joints & muscles. (Soft back book called "Practical Paleo" by Diane Sanfilippo, BS, NC is wonderful. $25.00 Costco or online.) I am so busy, travel on the road and work 2 jobs, and have 2 grandkids...I need easy! It has 30 day meal plans, grocery list, how to do everything to get healthy. Check if you have "my fit foods. Try Whole food and gluten free foods at restaurants. many have special menus. Delicious! it taught me ideas on how to make and pre set up for lunches in my cooler on the road. LARA bars &/or nuts for snaks.
' in your area, great for prepared food glutenfree and some dairy free if on the run or don't know how to start paleo. not expensive!
2. Exercise 3 x w; zumba twice; ball room instruction on Saturday early pm.
I go alone to both as well as others and all of us just worrry about moving our bodies not trying to be perfect. I very briskly walk my crazy puppy almost nightly.
3. When insomnia bad...Melatonin Plus. It has melatonin to get sleepy, Theanine to keep you asleep mid-nite, and Valarian to calm and promote rest. Its at Sams club for $6.58 for 300 tabs. (outside pharmacies want $22.00 for 30 tabs.) does tend to give me very colorful dreams...not all bad or scary but it does work for many with minimal hangover effect.
4. Laugh hard, alot, often...see funny in everything!!! (for those who have SiriusXM radio they have "Laugh USA" clean humor. really helps while  on the road)
5.Drink, Drink Drink, min. 64 oz (8 glasses) filtered water that removes 99% of everything .End after 7pm with only sips to keep mouth wet so not up all nite peeing.
6. I tell all my patients to go online or listen on the Sirius Radio to "Ask The Pharmacist" with Joe Demateo. (just google it) He is amazing, sincere genius! His credentials of very impressive and you can email in symptoms and he reads it on the show. Or for $75.00 he will do a personal eval with you of problems. I have learned so much from him.
7. Keep a "Thankful Journal" daily. No matter how bad a "Job" day you have had, there is always something you can be thankful for (which increases endorphins as does vigorous exercise. This is natural feel good drug! the more depressed, the lower the chemicals in the brain causing more clinical chance of chronic depression and possible need for treatment.
8. I agree with the other commentors... your situation is serious and you need a therapist to talk to so you can develop some healthy coping mechanisms to get thru this...and you will! Apply for Medicaid, State medical insurance if it is available- sliding scale or go to free clinic for your therapist and healthcare needs. You would be amazed at what services are available when you have nothing but you have got to search for them.
9 don't try to do all this above at once!!! start small, 1 step at a time, make better food choices even when you can't afford organic right now. Be patient with yourself. the real you (normal harmones) is inside, and you will see her again...this is a season, keep repeating this to yourself.
With much compassion and love...we are a sisterhood of sorts. Use us!
www.slideshare.net/hectorham/lighteninginajar, this should put life in better perspective. just a beautiful slide show on u tube. It really makes u think.
Hi there, and I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time.  I have been someone who works out all my life and what I noticed as I've aged is that I am much more tired and it is much more difficult to melt away pounds.  The pounds I used to gain and get rid of within days, now stick around very stubbornly.  I had this discussion with my doctor who is very open to alternative therapy.  He gave me a pamphlet on Macafem that also included other information about other alternatives.  Since then I have used Macafem for about 9 months and have had amazing results.  My libido has kicked back in and when I exercise I find the stubborn inches around my mid-section tend to respond much better.  My exercise routine consists of walking most every day (often I do a walk-run routine where I walk and few minutes then I put a hop in my step to kick it up a notch for a few minutes then alternate back and forth that way during my walk).  It works wonderfully for me and I find I don't dread the thought of exercising this way.  Sometimes I take my dog and sometimes I go with a friend and sometimes I go it alone and enjoy the serenity which is also good for my soul.  Exercising this way has given me more energy.  Now the amazing thing is that I ran out of Macafem and did not get around to ordering more for about a month.  Guess what?  The stubborn mid-section pounds once again began to be difficult to lose.  I'm back on my Macafem and they are melting away.  Of course, I have to keep exercising in order to make that happen though.  I am 51 years old and love Macafem.  I hope this helps you or anyone else who might read it.
Every women want get relief from menopause symptoms. She tried many things like patches, cream, supplements. Supplements is the easy way to get relief from menopause. But the menopause supplement must contain the natural ingredients. Macafem is one the menopause supplement. My aunt tried that supple but she was not satisfy much enough. Read the product reviews before buying any product. Choose the product wisely.
http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/macafem.html
Without taking in extra calories, a person doesn't gain 30-40 pounds in a short time because they're not exercising.  If what you said is true, every woman over 50 who doesn't exercise would be morbidly obese.  I took a drug for a few years that caused weight gain, a lot of it, and the crappy comments by know-nothings like you were lies based on pseudoscience and harmful to the person going through whatever problem they're having.  Once I stopped taking the drug, the weight slowly came off with no dieting or exercise.  All the lectures about calories in, calories out, workouts, etc., were bull**it, just like your comment.

cc101---your problem sounds extreme for menopause, so you may want to get your thyroid and adrenal gland checked as well.  Keep bugging the doctor until you find something that works.  Good luck.
You most certainly did insinuate that she was lazy.  This woman is having some serious health issues and you're spewing your nonsense about 2 hour workouts to make YOU feel good.  Idiot.
Hi. I bought some black cohosh about 2 months ago and started taking it. I had really bad hot flashes in the daytime as well as feeling dizzy sometimes. At night I was hot and cold .....sweating till my clothes were damp, then freezing. I didn't think it was helping and was going to stop until about a couple weeks ago I realized it had finally started working. I rarely have any hot flashes now and I'm sleeping much better at night....except for when my husband snores! I have read some articles that say black cohosh can cause weight gain and others say it can help with weight loss so who knows. I gained weight over the last few years due to other things....I don't think the black cohosh changed that either way. I'm going to stop taking it for a while and see what happens....but keep some on hand.
Hello everyone! Nothing like misery loving company, but as many of you have stated,  it is reassuring to see that others are going through the same hell and that weird symptoms are shared by others. What a long strange trip.

I am in my third year of peri-menopause (I am 53) and after having had most of the severe symptoms somewhat regulated with dietary changes (I have given up on most dairy and gluten at the suggestion of my acupunturist), acupuncture treatments and varied vitamins and herbal supplements, have now had the hot flashes, tingling fingers, insomnia and other fun stuff come back with a vengeance. Not being able to sleep is the worst, I am so tired that I can barely get through the day, which doesn't make me want to keep up with what I have been doing. Vicious cycle.

Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with Amberen? I tried it, it worked for me, went off of it and had everything come back, went back on and it has stopped working.

Good luck to all of you...hang tough, you are NOT ALONE. I read someplace that due to the size of the baby boomer population, this is now the largest number of menopausal women in history!!
Hi there:

Not sure if you are still checking this site, but I'm wondering whether you are still having success with the Macafem?  Was just reading about it today and am interested in perhaps starting on it.
You are a sweetheart for giving us all that good information on Macafem.
I was about to make a purchase until the information you provided
made me change my mind. I did not know the common name was
Maca.  Why pay so much extra for a fancy name.
I have lost weight by eating 3 small meals and 2 snacks.a day. I feel so much better. My stomach doesn't hurt as much, When I do eat junk food I always regret it.I don't deprive myself from eating sweets. I exercise occasionally. I drink a lot of Kerr mostly for breakfast. I'm not in menopause, but I was searching the net to find a natural way to improve vagina lubrication.I will be 55 this year.I wonder what menopause is going to be like for me.
Hi my name is Tammy  I'm really sorry that people can be so very cruel and rude. Im just  starting menopause and don't have weight problem . but I am very fatigue to where i am stuggling so much. im going to making a doctors appointment some time next week. if i come a cross something that works i sure will let you know. hang in there you not along :) Tammy
Hi My name is Lisa if anyone comes up with anything that works please let me know I am suffering also.  I am execrising so that my need,  I looking for vitamins something natural that would help us all.  Maybe we should start a TV show that we can get some help for real
Hi Ladies! I stumbled upon this 4 years and running post looking for reviews on Macafem. I thought it might give my regimen a boost. What I didn't count on is that it reminded me how bad I used to be, so I thought I'd share what works for me. Firstly though, cc101 sounds like many of the doctors I have talked to. They mean well, but they don't know crapola.

Anyway, I am 34 years old and been suffering from hormone fluctuations since I was 25. I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago because of adenomyosis but kept my ovaries. They best way I can explain my "periods" now is that I have every other horrible symptom minus the heavy bleeding, clots, and cramping. I am estrogen dominant, but also have low hormones. What that means is that all my hormones are low, but my progesterone is rock bottom low. I was told a year ago that I have started menopause. No duh.

I began exercising years ago and even though I have gained muscle mass, I have kept my fat. So I am just bigger everywhere. Exercise is wonderful and has helped tremendously, but starting slow is key and never overdue it or you'll just make matters worse (I have learned this the hard way). I have also had thyroid fluctuations but my docs (yes, docs, unfortunately I have several) have all said it is too mild to treat. I did my own research in the last few months and now know that their "normal range" is probably not my normal range, especially when I got my hands on thyroid tests I had when I was still healthy and hormonally balanced.

Look up on a thyroid website how to take your basal body temperature and average out your temp over 5 days. If it is low, then your thyroid is not working well. Check the symptoms of hypothyroid of course to make sure your temp isn't low from something else. If you have a good doc and can afford it, have them test TSH, Free T3, Free T4, and Thyroid Antibodies.

Here is what is working for me:

(You can buy the following at amazon.com)

EstrSmart (EstroSmart Plus made my headaches worse)
ThyroSmart
Pure Encapsulation Multi t/d
Pure Encapsulation 5,000 iu vitamin D (don't skip this one!)

(You can buy the following at progesteronetherapy.com)

Natpro Progesterone Cream
(I used 400 mg daily for 3 months and saw great results, it's expensive though and the above regimen works without it, only slower. I now only use progesterone cream at 40 mg when needed for occasional anxiety, night sweats, insomnia.)

Exercise in moderation and beginning very slowly
DRINK MORE WATER
Green smoothies
(A basic recipe is juice of 1/4 lemon, juice of 1/2 lime, 1/2 tsp ginger root powder, 3 cups sliced fruit (your favs, but adding 1 banana makes the smoothie frothier), 1 packed cup cilantro or parsley, 1 packed cup dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc.), 1 cup chopped veggies (cucumber, celery, etc.), 2 cups packed lettuce (red leaf, romaine, green leaf, butter, not iceberg), 1 cup water. Blend and blend and blend. Drink two to four glasses a day. Use a straw, it makes it go down easier and yes, I love the taste. You will be surprised at how good it tastes.)

I hope this helps some of you ladies. I not only have lost almost all of the weight I gained, but I am feeling normal again. Don't give up! Oh and stay away from parabens (they act like a bad estrogen on the body and worsen symptoms, they're in lotions, conditioners, and the like). In fact, don't ingest anything that acts like a estrogen even if you are low in estrogen (black cohosh, soy). It makes the body stop producing its own.  
Post didn't mention lazy??? You sound a little too defensive:-(
I also have menapause issues. In the last 6-12 months have been having difficulty sleep without getting up every 30 minutes or every hour. After reading your post and the others, I decided to do everything differently.
Then I had the best sleep in the last 2 days. This is what I did. 2 Calcium magnesium in AM and at PM which is = to 400 mg of mag., I ate an egg and a slice of turkey bacon (Tryptophan) which help relax you to sleep later. Started to do spurts of rest and spurts of work (vacuumed the house, then watched a 2 hr movie 3:00  in the afternoon, then I gardened for 1 hour, followed by relaxing as I ate dinner)
This is less stress on the body, fun to get work done that feels physically good (endorphins). Also- I do eat well, Lots of fruits, vegetables and protein and grains, but I was drinking too much caffeine (Coffee and tea)
I decided for every cup of coffee- It was suggested to drink 2 cups of water, so that is what I did and wala I started drinking less coffee, more water and more of a selection of teas which I started to put in the fridge to make them colder. I was finding that the hot drinks sometimes started a hot flash. I also Like my cup of red wine or dark beer in the evening. They too started hot flashes, so I drink either a half a beer with dinner or rose or white with dinner.(sandwiched between water ofcourse) I do not schedule things so close together anymore... and this helps. If I feel a hot flash coming on, relaxing and doing some yoga cooling breathing helps (breath slowly in and out of left nostril)  I do already play tennis just about every day. I also stretch. I have found out warm showers are better than hot ones. I wear layers of clothes. I try to have my day as an interval training class, full of variety, nothing too short or long, always fun, nothing too stressful or packed together too tightly—must not be stressed. Listen to lots of comedy stations in car. hope this helps.

signed- another menapausal momma
I had the same!  I just finished my first bottle. Took 3 pills for the first 3-4 weeks and just bumped it up to 3 in there AM and 3 in the PM.  No more night sweats, anxiety minimized, energy increased and sex drive- yup, it's back!  I am literally one month in.   Wondering what long term holds.  
To all using or considering macafem.

I have looked at the website and it seems to be nothing more than a general mixed supplement (with a source that sounds very unique, I admit).  I am a little short of money at the moment and going through similar, so I may look into the supplements it has, and see if I have an overlap with what I am taking already ( I am on a few things already for fibromyalgia symptoms), and work out from what I can get from Holland and Barret store to see if it is cheaper.

When I went to the US (I am in the UK) I found a lot of the over the counter supplements were cheaper than here, ie Walmart.

It might be an idea that we try and research the supplements in macafem and see if there is a cheaper alternative.  I am all for supplements that support production of natural hormones (like macafem) rather than replace them.

I also am having problems with the menopause.  I cannot get up in the mornings and find it hard to drop off to sleep now (dispite being on amitriptyline for it now for NINE years!!), and if I don't get up at 7 for work (only 3 days a week at the moment) I find myself in bed till noon feeling sick and hurting from top to toe.

At work I now have to go to occupational health to explain why I have had around 4 episodes of illness last year (only one and two days each).  

I work for the NHS here, and I can tell you it doesn't always work - even when you work for them there is no help.  3 months ago I went to my doctor with these symptoms and was told I couldn't have a blood test till Jan (now) and only if I lost weight.  It took me 3 month to pursuade her that I needed a pelvic scan because I have problems that need monitoring down there (I have just moved to a new doctor a few years ago and my notes are all mixed up), and when I asked about whether all my pain and tiredness were made worse by the menopause, she said no.

Another (female) doctor I asked said there was no point in doing the FSH test and that she had a bad menopause and I should just "sweat it out".

Maybe a MALE GP will be better - he won't have an agenda maybe?

Any thoughts?
Xglenys
I agree.  ME and Fibromyalgia work like this.  Any exercise done should be with the aim of keeping weightbearing and keeping muscles loose only, and resting out the effects of overdoing it.  It might SEEM lazy to other people. Guilt is one of the biggest things with these 2 conditions, as most people who have it led an active life before, and most certainly were not lazy, and do NOT WANT TO BE!  That guilt is not only imposed on them by their own standards, but made worse by other peoples opininons of them,
Thank you for your blog. Was really interested in macafem as my libido was on the floor and was recommended to get some. Now I will check out the health store for macca. Hope your flushes have abated by now as it's 2014 lol
New here. In regards to your post in reply to another ill informed one...

May I take this moment to stand up and applaud.

That post is the one that is going to make me join this community.

Viewing 201-204 comments: