Macafem Work?
Hi Everyone.  How are you?  I'm new to this board and am hoping that you ladies can help me.  I am thinking about trying macafem supplements and wondered if you have tried them and if you got an results?  How long did it take to start working?  I'm at the end of my rope and need to get some help fast!  I'm currently 42 years old and started into menopause around the age of 38.  I'm not sure if I have "normal" meno symptoms or not but I have been tested and that's what it is.  I am freezing cold all thur the day [yes I have had thyroid tested its normal] and than at night I'm so hot I can't sleep!  I have gained 60 pounds over the last year and a half [thinking it's due to lack of sleep as well as chocolate cravings that are unbearable!]  I have no sex drive at all, in fact I got married a year and a half ago and we have had sex once - that is not like me at all - before meno I had a high sex drive!  But the biggest issue for me with meno is the tiredness I have.  I am just so tired I can't do anything!  And I mean nothing - I lost my job about 6 months ago because I just couldn't do the job due to being so tired!  I have been to tons of doctors and they all say it will get better when you get peri - I can't wait that long!  I looked into going with BHRT but the cost for the first visit with labs would be about 1000.00 and not covered by my insurance!  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I read some great things about macafem and am thinking about trying it but before I order it at about 30.00 I would like others thoughts.  Any ideas or info you can give me would be great.  Thanks and have a great day  ~  Wellness_Seeker
Post didn't mention lazy??? You sound a little too defensive:-(
I also have menapause issues. In the last 6-12 months have been having difficulty sleep without getting up every 30 minutes or every hour. After reading your post and the others, I decided to do everything differently.
Then I had the best sleep in the last 2 days. This is what I did. 2 Calcium magnesium in AM and at PM which is = to 400 mg of mag., I ate an egg and a slice of turkey bacon (Tryptophan) which help relax you to sleep later. Started to do spurts of rest and spurts of work (vacuumed the house, then watched a 2 hr movie 3:00  in the afternoon, then I gardened for 1 hour, followed by relaxing as I ate dinner)
This is less stress on the body, fun to get work done that feels physically good (endorphins). Also- I do eat well, Lots of fruits, vegetables and protein and grains, but I was drinking too much caffeine (Coffee and tea)
I decided for every cup of coffee- It was suggested to drink 2 cups of water, so that is what I did and wala I started drinking less coffee, more water and more of a selection of teas which I started to put in the fridge to make them colder. I was finding that the hot drinks sometimes started a hot flash. I also Like my cup of red wine or dark beer in the evening. They too started hot flashes, so I drink either a half a beer with dinner or rose or white with dinner.(sandwiched between water ofcourse) I do not schedule things so close together anymore... and this helps. If I feel a hot flash coming on, relaxing and doing some yoga cooling breathing helps (breath slowly in and out of left nostril)  I do already play tennis just about every day. I also stretch. I have found out warm showers are better than hot ones. I wear layers of clothes. I try to have my day as an interval training class, full of variety, nothing too short or long, always fun, nothing too stressful or packed together too tightly—must not be stressed. Listen to lots of comedy stations in car. hope this helps.

signed- another menapausal momma
I had the same!  I just finished my first bottle. Took 3 pills for the first 3-4 weeks and just bumped it up to 3 in there AM and 3 in the PM.  No more night sweats, anxiety minimized, energy increased and sex drive- yup, it's back!  I am literally one month in.   Wondering what long term holds.  
To all using or considering macafem.

I have looked at the website and it seems to be nothing more than a general mixed supplement (with a source that sounds very unique, I admit).  I am a little short of money at the moment and going through similar, so I may look into the supplements it has, and see if I have an overlap with what I am taking already ( I am on a few things already for fibromyalgia symptoms), and work out from what I can get from Holland and Barret store to see if it is cheaper.

When I went to the US (I am in the UK) I found a lot of the over the counter supplements were cheaper than here, ie Walmart.

It might be an idea that we try and research the supplements in macafem and see if there is a cheaper alternative.  I am all for supplements that support production of natural hormones (like macafem) rather than replace them.

I also am having problems with the menopause.  I cannot get up in the mornings and find it hard to drop off to sleep now (dispite being on amitriptyline for it now for NINE years!!), and if I don't get up at 7 for work (only 3 days a week at the moment) I find myself in bed till noon feeling sick and hurting from top to toe.

At work I now have to go to occupational health to explain why I have had around 4 episodes of illness last year (only one and two days each).  

I work for the NHS here, and I can tell you it doesn't always work - even when you work for them there is no help.  3 months ago I went to my doctor with these symptoms and was told I couldn't have a blood test till Jan (now) and only if I lost weight.  It took me 3 month to pursuade her that I needed a pelvic scan because I have problems that need monitoring down there (I have just moved to a new doctor a few years ago and my notes are all mixed up), and when I asked about whether all my pain and tiredness were made worse by the menopause, she said no.

Another (female) doctor I asked said there was no point in doing the FSH test and that she had a bad menopause and I should just "sweat it out".

Maybe a MALE GP will be better - he won't have an agenda maybe?

Any thoughts?
Xglenys
I agree.  ME and Fibromyalgia work like this.  Any exercise done should be with the aim of keeping weightbearing and keeping muscles loose only, and resting out the effects of overdoing it.  It might SEEM lazy to other people. Guilt is one of the biggest things with these 2 conditions, as most people who have it led an active life before, and most certainly were not lazy, and do NOT WANT TO BE!  That guilt is not only imposed on them by their own standards, but made worse by other peoples opininons of them,
Thank you for your blog. Was really interested in macafem as my libido was on the floor and was recommended to get some. Now I will check out the health store for macca. Hope your flushes have abated by now as it's 2014 lol
New here. In regards to your post in reply to another ill informed one...

May I take this moment to stand up and applaud.

That post is the one that is going to make me join this community.

I just started too! Hoping it works!! Lots of dryness! Nervousness, lack of sleep, restlessness! I will take your dosage..wasn't sure how to take it, thanks!
Try Revital Hair .... My husband has never been happier wen finally he has a full head of hair ... N result shows in 3 weeks ...
So so sorry to hear what is going on with you. Just a quick question. Have you ever had a hystretomy?? If not thats what I would do first and you will see most of these things with subside.
Best of luck.
Hi, thanks for your encouraging testimony.  I am 55 and gained 15 lbs. in the last couple of years.  I never used to have a weight problem until going through menopause.  I work out pretty regularly too and can't seem to lose one pound.  I have started taking Macafem and been using for about 2 weeks.  I have noticed a slight improvement with the hot flashes only.  How long did it take you to start losing weight and getting your libido back after taking Macafem?

Thanks and good luck.
FYI - Please stop by our new Bio-Identical Hormones expert forum where Kenneth N. Woliner, MD will answer your questions!

Click here:  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Bio-Identical-Hormones-/show/1799

Best,

Cheryl
MH Community Mgr
I am 52 and never thought much about my hair getting thinner or why my fabulous memory was getting worse. I have had trouble sleeping and waking up every hour and a few months ago started having problems digesting food and could not find out why . I also had a knee injury over the last year and blamed my weight gain on that . I had always exercised and never had a problem loosing weight until now . I have read all your stories and see we are in the same boat. Thank you for the info on Macafem and I also found Macasure online . I will test them out and let your know  .I would be interested to know if anyone else is having this stomach problem, basically no food stays with me and this has been going on for months and have tried everything . Thanks
I just turned 47 years old and I love this blog!

It's so good to know that I'm not crazy or going crazy because I can honestly say that doctors don't know anything when it comes to these symptoms.

My nightmare began last year when I began having severe lower stomach pain, both my primary doctor and my OBGYN pretty much blew it off as a sign of getting older. My periods were not consistent, I had severe lower back pain. Finally I went to my OBGYN and said this is NOT normal, he decides to do an ultrasound and guess what he finds? A fibroid tumor the size of a plum! He acts all surprised and just can't believe it. Says he wouldn't have thought that was the problem...WHAT....I was bloated, getting UTI's which I had never had trouble with before. It was crazy. He immediately schedules me for a hysterectomy but tells me my ovaries are good so he wants to leave them so I can continue getting estrogen and not get thrown into menapause. Surgery goes well enough, there were some problems, but nothing compared to what I was going through.

So now it's been almost a year and a few months ago I begin having migraines, mood swings, severe joint pain, libido (none), sleepless nights, there are times my breasts hurt so bad that I don't want to take my bra off and if I do I still have to hold them because any movement HURTS!  And to top it all off my hair coming out like it's never come out before. I pull it out in handfulls as I shower. Thank God I have thick hair and I'm hoping I won't go bald before this is all over.

I begin with my primary doctor for the migraines, she does an MRI, making sure there isn't a tumor, thank goodness that was clear. She puts me on Topomax which worked great for the migraines but the symptoms that comes with that aren't worth it. I was a "bear" to everyone around me. I stopped taking it and did my own research and found that even though I have my ovaries they may not be putting off enough estrogen which could lead to menapause and trigger all these other symptoms. By now I've had blood drawn by my primary doctor 2 times checking me for arthritus, lupus, and whatever else she can find. All is coming up clear.

Just yesterday I go to my OBGYN to discuss doing an estrogen level test. He actually acted like he didn't want to do it but to ease my mind he would. He said I'm too young to be in the process of menapause and that last he checked my ovaries were fine and that it only takes one ovary to give enough estrogen. I ask him about Macafem/Maca, he says he's never heard of that....WHAT? Again I'm amazed that these doctors haven't done the research I've done. I guess they aren't suffering, but their patients are. Anyway he says to me if it works take it, if it doesn't don't take it. I ask about HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy), cancer runs in my family, if my estrogen level is low I don't want to do the HRT, he tells me as long as breast cancer and ovarian cancer doesn't run in my family I'm fine and I can do the HRT. Well any kind of cancer to me that runs in your family puts you at risk, in my opinion. I lost my mom last year to cancer, so I'm not putting myself at risk if I can find something natural to take. Also just to let you ladies know, my doctor recommended a drink every night to help me sleep. Yeah...he did. I told him I'm not starting that habit. REALLY? He also wants to put me on anti-depressants. Which is not going to happen I've been there and done that, usually symptoms from those are worse as well.

My faith in doctors is not at a high level at this point.

I ordered the Maca organic herb on Amazon, $23.00 shipping and all. Two bottles 100 tablets each/800mg and I'm taking 2 tablets a day to begin with to see how that works for me. I've only been taking it now for about 2 weeks.

I'm curious to get my estrogen level test back and when I do I'll give an update.

Until then, I feel like we women are on our own to figure out what will work for us and what doesn't. Hard to believe this is the 21st century.

God Bless and good luck to you all! Any similar stories I would love to hear about your experiences.

P.S. Update....just got a call from my doctor. My hormone levels are half of what they should be. Wants to start me on hormone patches. I'm skeptical but thinking may be good to get levels up to where they need to be and then go back to the Maca. Anyone have suggestions or experience with the patches?
Having all the same issues, feel like I am going crazy.  How is the product working for you?  Lisa.
Yes, I have the hair loss issue as well.  Very thick hair down to showing through to scalp in just a few months.  Have you found anything that stops hair loss?
Most likely your thyroid. Hypothyroid.
At 51 I started menopause and was on nil medication previously. Now 55 and take Thyroid , BP ,Cholestroyl,Reflux, Vit D, Fish oil, St Johns Wort, Magnesium, and huge weight gains/ day night sweats/ dry hair/ broken fingernails/ dry skin/brain fog/ low libido/currently trying HRT patches. Have had bad crying episodes previously on them. Mother passed at 36 yrs from breast cancer so not happy on HRT.  Estrogen level is extremely low at 44.  At a loss at what to do.....
That is an awesome slideshow, thanks for sharing.
I started taking Macafem almost 4 years ago and it worked for me. All my severe menopause symptoms left and I lost 68 pounds in the course of the 1st year and a half. I was stoked!! I felt like a million buck!! It literally saved my marriage. At 2 years of taking Macafem,  I also found that the health food stores and GNC carried their own brand of maca root so I switched to them because of the saving. Well, after taking them for over a year I have put back on 23 pounds and those brands were not taking care of my menopause symptoms 100% like the Macafem had been. 5 months ago I switched back to Macafem and the menopause symtoms are gone again but I am struggling with getting the 23 pounds off, its not melting off like it did when I first started taking Macafem. I had a hysterectomy the 1st week of this past October and I have been out of work since mid September so I know I haven't been as mobile as I was and those have everything to do with my weight battle at the moment, as well as being 44. Getting old *****!! LoL. At anyrate I wanted to let y'all know what my experience with Macafem and the "other maca brands" was. I'm trying to get strong minded and get some sort of a exercise routine together soon and drop this extra weight but the Macafem is the only one out of, honestly, 11 brands that I tried, that really worked consistantly.
Luci - Your ob/gyn has not been honest with you or needs to educate himself. Removal of any female sex organ can disrupt the whole system (even if the surgery is done after menopause). Studies show that there is a 35-40% chance of ovarian failure after hysterectomy. And even when the ovaries continue functioning, menopause usually occurs earlier in women who have had a hysterectomy. Having only one ovary increases these chances. Here is one study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20729494.

How did the patch work out? I did not do well on the patch. I was a basket case in every way...was even suicidal!! Generic Estrace pills work much better for me. But we are all different so sometimes it can take a bit of trial and error.  
I know this was written a couple of years ago, but I'm responding in case someone comes across it while searching. I had what I thought was neurological symptoms. I felt certain that I had a serious illness. Finally, after reading other people's posts, I came to realize that the tingling, dizziness, muscle weakness, and other crazy symptoms were due to perimenopause. It has been a crazy ride, but I am much, much better these days. To anyone going crazy with meno-hell, hang in there! It gets better.  
Hi, I have had some good results with macafem and I'm happy! When I quit having my period I was having more than 20 hot flashes daily and around 10 at night. A friend of mine suggested I try Macafem and less than 3 weeks later I rarely feel even one hot flash a day and I don't have any more night sweats.
How much Macafem are you taking? And what brand? What time(s) of day do you take it? I'm considering trying it, as acupuncture, which worked very well for me for awhile, unfortunately stopped working. I tried a Chinese herb combo from my naturopath which had no effect at all.
I will have to say that Macafem has worked AMAZING for me!  I was having lots of hot flashes a day and mood swings. I have been taking for about (3) years now and cannot believe the difference.  I am almost 10 years into perimenopause and think I may finally have hit menopause (been 8 months since period).  
It takes a couple of weeks for full effect and you need to start out with (3) a day and increase up to (6) a day.  I would increase every 3-4 days until hot flashes decrease drastically.  The most you can take is (6) per day.  I take (5) a day ... (3) in the morning and (2) at night.  I have tried to decrease dosage a couple of times but the hot flashes and moodiness come back within a few days.

I also take (1) Vitex Chaste Berry Extract 225mg (Solaray Brand) at night with my night dose of Macafem.

Hope this helps!

Hi all, I just joined this board. When I turned 42 I started feeling menopause symptoms, especially hot and cold flashes. Macafem has been a solution for my symptoms. The first 2 days I felt bloated and then all was fine, I'm glad I didn't stop taking it cause it helped me A LOT!
Hello girls! I am 45 and in my peri but my progesterone is a bit higher than normal, oestradiol is low. Gained 12 kg in a last 1,5 years. Started having my weight gain problem earlier but it was manageable with the strict diet & exercise, NOT ANYMORE! I do spend 1 hour in gym everyday ( resistance training, weight training, cardio) + power walk 30-45 min + walk my dogs, there are a lots of things I dont eat anymore -  but my weight was slowly going up, no down, especially on mid section. Started Macafem 2 weeks ago 3 tablets a day - what a difference! I am not moody, not bloated, sex drive is back,my breasts fit in my bras again, fluid retention is not as bad as it was, and lost a kg !!  Not much but before Macafem it wasn't moving down at all. Apparently it is the only herbal solution which is not a replacement of hormones but a solution for balancing them.
I'm taking 4 tablets daily - 2 with breakfast and 2 with lunch. That worked perfect for me, but it really depends on each person, the dosage that works for my friend is 3 tablets and she takes 1 with each meal but her symptoms were different so try it and check what dosage works for you :) Xx
Good morning ladies, I think I have to be thankful and share my experience. I'm 51 and started the horrible menopause a little while ago with at least 5 hot flashes a day, 3 or more severe night sweats, my emotions were going up and down, thinning hair, palpitations, fatigue and more. So I found macafem and started 2 weeks ago, the first week the night sweats and fatigue disappeared, the hot flashes are less in number and intensity, and I'm hoping all the symptoms get disappear soon
Thanks for ur review on macafem.  I was considering using it to regulate my hormone levels and for my daughter's irregular periods.  Your review was very helpful.  Thanks!
can you tell me your result with maca.my hair is thinning too
I am 47 and experience gain weight with menopause.I hurt about Macafem,but don't know what is the dose to take and have effect?

Thank for your help.
Macafem has been really good to me for hot flashes and night sweats for over a year. I think it could help you lose weight  just because it will balance your hormones BUT you must play your part by working out and eating healthier if you want faster and better results. In my case I love walking my dog for at least one hour a day and I started preparing fruit and vegetable juices to stop cravings... that has helped me a lot to maintain a healthy weight. Good luck.
Dear Mari Belle Thanks for your up date post I also have those neuro symptoms  will start maca next week, already tried Climara patch no help. Gald to know at some point things improve. Take care Dee
Thank you for sharing your information, I had chemo and radiation a year ago and had a forced menopause,  I am doing some dilating... and even with a cream, it hurts, that is just because the gateway closes.  Thanks for sharing I will purchase some pills and if it works, I will share this information with my chemo and radiation friends. :-)
I am in exactly the same boat you are in.  I started this journey when I was 38.  It started off with heart palps, night sweats, and extreme allergies.  I didn't know what was wrong and it sent me to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack.  I did not have health insurance, so testing wasn't an option.  Finally, a few years of misery later, and gaining 50lbs (without diet changes), I exercised 3 - 4 times a week and in a year and half I went from 147 to 190.  I finally capped at 220...No matter what I did, the weight would not come off.  I finally got insurance, and had a pap.  They said I had cervical cancer.  That was removed in November 2014, I lost 20lbs in a month.  So, since then, I've began seeing a trainer, workout 4-7 times a week, both cardio and weight lifting (I am 43 now).  I finally had my hormones tested (which everyone refused to do because they thought I was too young), I found out my levels are all post-menopausal.  This was discovered just a month ago.  I've had cancer screenings, thyroid tests, etc.... After two months of non-stop working out, I've lost 10lbs (appx).  I fluctuate between 189-194 now.  Still slow going.  I get the fatigue you are talking about.  Got it yesterday, and it is debilitating.  It takes ALL my thought power to just move, dizzy spells, vertigo, etc.  I go up and down like a yoyo, one day abundant energy, then the next day, just dragging.  I was looking into Macafem too.  I am a biologist, so I will refer to my botany books and other scholarly resources I have access to and get back with you.  I really wish the medical community would pay more attention to women's health issues.  We are sole providers for our families sometimes and early menopause, or finding ovarian cysts too late to treat is just unacceptable.  
Hi ladies, from what I understand Macafem stimulates my body's own hormone production, that's why it does not work immediately but it DOES WORK!
I've been on macafem more than a year, it took away my severe hot flashes and mood swings.
I also take thyroid medication daily, along with a number of supplements (Vit C, Vit D, milk thistle, Vit B + and a multi vitamin.)  I was diagnosed with breast cancer 8 years ago- have been clear since treatment but am on my second round of tamoxifen, for a total of 10 years on the drug.  I have had night hot flashes since the age of 45.  Anyone know if the combo of tamoxifen and thyroid meds will affect the efficacy of something like Macafem?
katiejor, if you are in Tamoxifen better consult your doctor before taking it or any other.
same here Gina186, I haven't been able to sleep for more that a couple hours a night because of horrible night sweats, and I didn't feel like myself at all. After finding macafem I decided to try it out I started with 1 tablet and then some time later went to 2. No more hot flashes or nightsweats...couldn't believe it in such a short time! totally ecommended.
It was an unlikely answer, but this stuff saved my life: Deer Antler Velvet is used in Chinese medicine for virility, but I've got to tell you, I am so grateful to my trainer for suggesting I try if for my hot flashes, joints going crazy, sleeping and sex drive.  I feel so much better, partially from not being so disrupted by the heat all the time, but also from the deeper, longer sleep I'm getting.  I tried Macafem too and didn't feel as much of an impact as I did with the Longevitrol.  It (Macafem) also contains corn starch and the company did not answer me when I asked if it was non GMO corn.  So if GMOs are a concern, it's a gamble.  
I have been taking 2 or 3 tablets a day. I still have flushes and sweats once in a while but not constantly like before macafem. I just feel better with my mood and everythng.
Thanks for your info. Ive been looking all over for this. I just ordered sum Macafem. hope it works for me too.
Hi LasticsBody I was wondering the same before buying. To me this product is a godsend! I've had the symptoms of menopause for several years, including the scariest one to me, irregular heart beat. I exhausted all the other options but nothing work until I took the plunge with macafem. My irregular heart beat and hot flashes have disappeared... if only I had known about macafem sooner!
I am very happy already, with this product. I just received the product yesterday and feel better. My hormone fluctuations have been terrible for a few years and nothing I have tried worked. I am 45 years old and have perimenopause for a few years. I am now in early menopause and felt like I was dying. Macafem is amazing and I will be ordering every month from now on.
Did you have the same symptoms as me? I am 47 y.o. and experiencing all these symptoms too! I talk to other women that are younger and older than me but no one seems to have the issues I am having! I have a shooting pain in my lower back that comes and goes, with weakness in my legs- a dull aching feeling in my muscles; sometimes is in my legs other times in my arms. My menstrual periods are so light that come every 4 months. In addition, I have mini-hot flashes and feel anxious like I am about to die. This is just horrible! I am an avid hiker, I eat well, no gluten or carbs; take flaxseed oil, Vitamin D3, 1000 mg of C vitamin and glucosamine chondroitin for my muscles and bones. I don't know what else to do. I have visited a back pain specialist, a neurologist, primary care physician and had acupuncture but nothing seem to help. I am driving myself crazy thinking that something else is really wrong with me. Any thoughts???
Yes yogaguru, our hormones are unpredictable. I would recommend you to try macafem, I found the official product at google shopping!
1