Menopause Community
Menopause and Bio-Identical Hormones

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Menopause and Bio-Identical Hormones

I have been menopausal since I was 46 and have been treated with Fasomax after being diagnosed with osteoporosis, 4 years ago.
I have been dealing for all of the common menopause symptoms included and awful lot of 'hot flashes' and almost no 'libido'.
I have refused HRT and will not accept treatment with any of the well known hormones so commonly used.
I have been reading and attended several workshops on bio-identical hormones. I truly believe that this is a much better alternative.
I also know that large group studies probably will not be done due to the fact that it will not be in the huge pharmaceutical companies
I was on bio-indentical hormones for menopause. I was on tri-est. In short I had to go off both my hrt because I had a uterine builup and they were worried it could turn to cancer, so I had a d&c and now my hot flashes have returned and like you could not care about sex at all.I feel like I am going out of my mind. I have hot flashes but I also feel warm alot of the time. I have thyroid disease too. It is a ***** being a woman. I don't even feel like a woman anymore.And thses are suppose to be the best years of our lives, not having to worry about pregnancy and having the kids out of the house. Yeh, right.
I'm a post surgical menopausal (since '03) 30 yr. old, w/ a history of severe gyn problems & strong family history of Cancer.  I too, like you, have refused synthetic hormones several times.  I've only been on trial & error synthetics for a total of maybe 6 months since April of '03.  I tried the bio-identical hormones & felt much better.  I didn't have any adverse reactions (no weight gain either).  I unfortunately had to stop taking them, due to an unrelated issue (possible malignancy from gyn problems).  I had a bone density scan done 1 yr. after I was thrown into menopause (full force!LOL) & was told there was significant bone loss.  I use essential oils, vitamins recommended by holistic drs., & try alternative therapies.  Hey, to each their own.......Peace.

I have been on bio-identical hormones for 3 years now and also progesterone....I could not take the traditional HRT in any form.  Since being on the beist I suffer no symptoms, apart from tiredness still....I had been suffering, flushes, depression, mood swings, trembling inside, crawling skin...basically the lot and I swear by bio-identical's......they have turned my life around
godd luck with your decision.
Merls
I am so happy that you have had success with bio-identical hormones. I too had no luck with HRT and have started on bhrt only for 3 days, how long did it take for you to feel some relief ? I have anxiety and sudden anger outbursts, I am very hopeful this will work I am at my wits end.
I am also hashi and meno but dont believe natural oestrogen is the answer, you are still way unbalanced!......... the 2 things that have given me my life back are just 10mg DHEA for sane-ness [which your body can then convert to only the amount of oest and testosterone it actually needs]  and natural progesterone cream like 'serenity' for libido!! [do dhea 1hr after your thyroxine so that is already digested first]
really even at the lowest doses I have finally found relief
[I live in uk and have to import them which is astonishing, the health service here is so stitched up by the pharm cos, at least in usa they sell this stuff over the counter]
check out Dr. Lees books on amazon or google him
I am post surgical menopause for 21 years.  I have used BHRT for the last 4 years in the form of estrogen and testosterone pellets that are inserted under the skin of my hip.    These changed my life drastically for the better!  I hope I never have to quit getting them.

njw