Menopause Community
Menopause and Depo prevara

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Menopause and Depo prevara

At 43 I took Depo for 4 yrs and stopped for a year, then I resumed for another 3 yrs after a bone density showed better bone health than a normal non-depo female.  I stopped the depo over a year ago, I am now 51 and I have not resumed my menstrual period.  Is it possible that I could have gone into menopause while taking the depo and it masked the systems?  I have no family history of the timing of onset of menopause due to my mother and sister both having hysterectomies in their 40's.
  • PERIOD AFTER DEPO (4 replies):
    I JUST GOT OFF THE DEPO AWHILE BACK AND IV BEEN HAVEING ...[more]
  • Periods and Depo (4 replies):
    My next depo shot is due 11/8 but I am not going to get ...[more]
  • DEPO SHOT .... (1 replies):
    So i got the depo shot in November 2011- January 31st. i...[more]
  • birth control (4 replies):
    why does the depo shot cause long time of bleeding
  • depo (7 replies):
    when will i get my periods back i was using depo and now...[more]
You're most definitely at the age for menopause so, it's more than certainly possible that you've gone through it.  

Don't forget that the Depo also keeps your endometrium thinned out so, it's possible that you may wait for awhile and without the Depo, your estrogen levels start to rebuild your lining over time and you could potentially go back to cycling for a bit again.  Anything is possible so, just simply keep track of what is going on with your body and get your doc to check your FSH levels and LH levels to see where you're at with that.  It'll give an indication whether you are indeed in menopause or whether your uterine lining has simply thinned out enough from the Depo that you haven't built up enough to have another period just yet.

Let us know!  Your update can help others too! :)