Menopause Expert Forum
Menopause and constant cyst problems

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Menopause and constant cyst problems

I am 52 years old, 20 plus history of ovarian cysts and  uterine polyps, had an ovary and large cyst (9 cm) removed july of 2006 and have had no periods since the surgery.  
My question is that I have been problems with cysts on my remaining ovary since september of 2006.  Have had ultrasounds every 4 months and cysts (one for a while, now showing 2, 2-3cm each.)  Before the surgery I was having a period about every 2 weeks for months, and all the symptoms of cysts,  now I am having no periods, but still suffering the cyst symptoms (pelvic pain, bloating, urination, fatigue, etc.) What is going on here?  How can i be in menopause and having the same problems.  Should I be concerned after this has been going on so long?  My OBGYN does not seem to think I should be having any symptoms from my cysts.
I am getting tired of these symptoms, I was hoping menopause would "cure" me.
Problems such as yours are not always clear as to what they are or how to treat them. But here is what seems to be going on.  Your surgery to remove the cyst from one ovary and the ovary it was in likely threw  you into menopause, or at least lowered your hormone levels so that menopause is very near. Still, the remaining ovary is somewhat active (it is making cysts which could either be related to ovulation or unrelated to it), but not making enough estrogen to relieve your symptoms. Since  you are over 50, removing the remaining ovary might be an option to discuss with your Gyn so you won't have the cysts recurring and being a nuisance that must continue to be monitored.

Alternatively, you can ask your doctor about going on a low dose birth control pill. Sometimes that will make the cysts go away and will also provide you with estrogen and progesterone which should eliminate or reduce your symptoms. Most likely, the cysts are not a problem per se. But there is always a risk of cysts being a tumor in the post or perimenopausal woman and they need to be followed.
Machelle Seibel, MD