Menopause Community
Menopause and psychosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Menopause and psychosis

In January 2002 I found myself in a horrible psychotic state that lasted continually 24 hours a day for six months until a doctor finally put me on an antipsychotic that brought me out of it.  It came on suddenly, involved hallucinations and delusions and sort of morphed over time from one very religious theme to a suddenly evil theme about 3 months into it.  That year I was going through menopause and was in a horrible work situation unlike any I had experienced before (my stress level was very high).  To date I still have no idea what brought it on (I was 49 at the time) and I have not has it since that time.  At not time in my life until then had I experienced any type of psychosis.  It appears to have been a one time episode that lasted for six months.  It was truely horrible.  Have you ever heard of anything like this happening to a woman my age?  I have tried to find answers and not even my doctor can give me any.  Thank you for your time.