Menupause - bleed after 3 years
I am almost 53 and have had no periods for since 2011. I have had not flushes etc. I am worried as to why now I have a period after this time. I am not sexually active.  Could someone give me any help answer to this...Many thanks..
You will need to see your doctor for investigation. They usually do a pelvic exam and ultrasound. They may also do an endometrial biopsy. However, it may give you some relief to know that most cases of post-menopausal bleeding are nothing serious. I have read it is more apt to occur within 5 years of your last period. After ruling out abnormalities, it is usually chalked up to sporadic ovarian activity. The ovaries actually continue to produce hormones into a woman's 80's so bleeding can happen. Also, if the lining gets too thin, it can cause bleeding. Hope yours is nothing serious.