Night sweats and hot flashes - how long will they continue?
I am 50 and have been in menopause for about 14 months.

Since April of last year, I have experienced periods of INTENSE hot flashes and night sweats - sometimes 30 within 24 hours!  These periods last 6-8 weeks and then the hot flashes reduce in intensity and occurance gradually over the next 10 weeks.  Then, unfortunately, they start again.  I am currently in my 3rd cycle of this pattern.

I haven't had a period since November 2005. My GYN has done blood tests - I'm definately menopausal.  I am not taking HRT.  I am taking herbs - I can't tell if they're helping or not.  I eat healthy food - no meat - lots of vegies.  I exercise a lot.

How long does menopause usually last?  Am I close to the end of this Hot Flash torture?

Pam

You can expect the hot flashes and night sweats to last for years after the onset of full menopause.  The herbs are not causing the symptoms and HRT is supposed to help reduce them.  However, I would be cautious of HRT because there is conflicting evidence on whether or not HRT increases a post menopausal woman to develop breast cancer.  Something to discuss with your doctor.  You should discuss your symptoms with your doctor and ask about ways to help alleviate them.
As in the previous post, I suffer severe post menapausal night sweats and hot flashes.  I have not been able to et more than 1 1/2 hour sleep at a time in months.  I am sure I am losing my mind.  I cannot take HRT due to previous breast cancer.  Nothing I have tried works.  I am willing to take the HRT risks, even if it costs me a few years of life, as I now have no life.  I cannot remember the last time I felt good or had a good nohts sleep.  I do take Fentanyl Patch (50 MG) and hydracodone (10m) for severe back pain.  I have heard that these drugs can cause night sweats but cannot find any hard evidence yet.  In  any case, without the Fentanyl I could not live at all with the back pain. Also, I take zanax,and sometimes Soma, mostly at night as sometimes they do help me to at least fall asleep.  My doctor has no options I have not tried.

They shoot horses, don't they?  
i've been told and read that hot flashes can last 10 years or more. i'm going on at least 10 and they are just now getting worse. but it's different for every woman.
Hi Pam

I am a sufferer of Night sweats and have developed some specialised bedding which is going on sale in January please see my blog
Hi Pam

http://nightsweatswendysstory.blogspot.com/
I am 51 and I got Natural hormone pellets over 4 mos ago inserted in hip.  This procedure is not covered by insurance, but only cost $200- a small price to pay for it.  Within a day or two the hot flashes stopped.  The only problem was; the estrogen in the pellets became dominant and I started having periods again--no matter how much progetin I took.  That was a problem the full 4 months.  However, because of the testoterone in the pellets & all the estrogen/progetin, I felt stronger and less PVCs than I'd felt in a long time.  I'd advise if you decide to get these, go on the "low" side with the estrogen, especially if you haven't been menopausal very long.  I'd only had hot flashes for a couple months.  So I guess my body started producing erratic.  They did take a blood test first to see how low I was.  I was very low on everything.  Now-- over 4 months later, all of a sudden they are all GONE, and I'm having a hard time!!!! Having PVC's (heart arrythimias)- and feel nervous like PMS all the time.  I'm not having hot flashes again yet.

I plan to go get my blood tested again this week & see what my levels are & act accordingly.  There is also a natural pill under tongue called Trochee' that has natural estrogen/progestin/testosterone that I may try.  You can always stop if they don't work good, but the pellets are there for 4 months once you get them.  It is minor (very minor) surgery.

Id highly suggest them if your doctor agrees that they don't produce the side effects of the other type of HRT.

good luck.
I have also been experiencing very frequent hot flushes, both during the day and night. However I am taking black cohosh and it does seem to be helping.

www.sleepdisorders-advice.com
I use to have 20/day until i started taking cold milled flaxseed!!!  It has to be milled - NOT the whole seed!!! Take four (4) tablespoons per day - two in am and two in pm.  Do Not put it on anything hot as heat e destroys the omega fatty acids. Put on cold cereal , salads, smoothies or anything you can bt make certain its cold or room temp.  I guarantee if u do this faithfully for two weeks Your Hot Flashes Will be Gone , Completely!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!!
How long have u been doing this ? I am 55   Have had my period since May of 2011. Now HOTTTTTTTT Flashhhhhhhhh city .. I am willing to try any thing I am at wits end.I will do this
Thank You,
Kat in Neosho, Mo
TEN YEARS?! You say 10 YEARS these hot flashes could run? Nohooooo....

Doc said to ask mom how long her hot flashes lasted because her hot flashes are a good indication of how our hot flashes will go, too.
Sorry if this is scarey but I've been having hot flushes for 16 years and they are now getting worse, I get them every half an hour or so and have tried so many remedies that I could open a health shop.

At the moment when I have a hot flush I also get a pounding in my head so the best thing for me to do is to ride it out by just sitting still until it passes.

Not much help I know but keep your chin up.
I stopped periods and just went right into menopause at age 42 (now I am 58).  For me the hot flashes have never stopped.  It gets so bad I can't even talk to someone without frying.  I am on HRT and have been the whole time.  I try every so often to stop HRT, but always end up back on it.  Now the last time I tried to stop HRT I got insomnia too.  I can tell you that HRT really works.  I have a sense of well being when I am on it.  I highly recommend it.
I to have sweats. I had a hysterectomy in Feb 2011. The sweats kicked in one day later. I've tried everything but HRT. However 3 weeks ago my Chemist advised me to use PHYO Soy. I tell you I have gone from 7 sweats a day to 2/3 and sleep no problem. Try them.
Interesting. Do all of you exercise very regularly and eat healthy? I believe I am just entering menopause, and the worst symptoms are my moods. I have maybe a hot flash a week. I didnt have a period last month. I'm thinking that my hot flashes correlated with my diet. For me when I don't eat grains at all (they really arent necessary) and get most of my carbs from veggies I do really much better.

I also do better when I get enough cardio. I strength train a lot and am really strong for a woman my age (50)

IDK rather than popping a pill for those of you that havent tried dietary changes and vigorous exercise....
Thank you for that information, I have been having hot flashes and sweats for 18 years and have tried everything possible, but nothing apart from HRT has worked for me. I stopped taking HRT over 2 years ago and Im really suffering.I wil try your recommendation and hope it works. Thank you
what is hrt?
they are hell I been having them 20 years and getting worst
HRT is Hormone Replacement Therapy
Isn't it strange how so many women are saying it lasts for years. I am wondering if it has to do with diet now because whenever I cut out as much sugar from my diet as possible my menopause symptoms including hot flashes diminish and have even disappeared. But I am also a sugar junkie so this is really tough for me. I am willing to try the flax seeds and more exercise. But I suspect that if I am vigilant about no-sugar it may disappear. Trying **** Quay too right now but not long enough to confirm it's success.    
I haven't had hot flashes for at least 6 mths and now they have come back worse than ever!! Has anyone else experienced this?

I am 58 and started with hot flashes at 47. My periods stopped at 51 or 52 and I'm still having them and night sweats too. In fact they are gettiung worse again. At least 5 times a day. I've never been on HRT and have to watch how much soy I eat because I am hypothyroid and have a family history of breast cancer. Really getting tired of this.
My hot flashes and night sweats are frequent and daily. Not fun, for sure. I hit the year anniversary of no cycle and like clockwork . . . I fell into Depression and Anxiety, so bad, I had to go back on anti-depressant's (Paxil). And with the anti-depressant's came hot flashes/night sweats and severe insomnia (or menopause). Now, I'm a freaking pharmacy -- I have to take Ambien to get four hours sleep each night; developed a sleep issue with gulping, gasping waking me up every five minutes. Someone tell me these things pass . . . I know the hot flashes can last years; but the Anxiety/Depression and Insomnia? Anyone have those and have it pass/ease with medication? Is there hope? I'm 49-years-old with one ovary (since age 20).
If you have only just started menopause, and by only missing one period I would say you are probably only just peri-menopause, hot flashes are probably not yet a problem. When you get 5 years down the track, with hot flashes that cause the sweat to actually drip off you face and run down your body, and this happens up to 30 times a day, then you can honestly comment on what you have done to try and eleviate the problems. I hope you are one of the lucky ones who is able to just "sail through menopause "but until you are well and truly into it, please do not mak e rash suggestions. Heredity does go a long way in determining how much or not you will have to endure during this challenging time of your life. To those suffering like me.. hang in there.
YES!  Mine started the beginning of 2012 - lasted a few weeks, then I had a period & they were gone.  A couple of months later, same thing, then I went about 4 months until the next "round" of hot flashes, and now I'm about 2 weeks into another cycle of them.  Everytime they come, they're different - in the beginning they were more up my back & the back of my neck, the next time they were towards the front & my face was flushed, now my entire body gets hot, sweaty, and I get intense chills after it's over.  It's ridiculous.  Haven't talked to my gyno about them yet...i think it's time.  This is driving me insane.
I forgot to add that the hotflashes are 24/7 - about one an hour or so - sometimes more, sometimes less - but they are definitely worse at night.  I am 49, and periods are now irregular.
OMG, your story sounds like mine. I entered full menopause in september 2012. I had a couple of hot flashes during my 12 month count but didnt realize that was what they were until I passed my 12 month mark and then wham, hot flashes came on suddenly and often. I take black cohosh and it seems to help a lot, but not so much with the night sweats. Now the anxiety and depression? Well that is just downright ridiculous. I hate it. It has made me anti-social. And now I am starting with insomnia.
I hate menopause. Oh yeah, the 20 extra pounds is no fun either
I have been having hot flushes for 13 years!.  It is driving me nuts.  It is worse at night and I really dont thinkd I have had a full nights sleep in all that time.  I have neverheard of PHYO Soy but I wll certainly give it a try.  If someone told me to put a bucket on my head and jive with a chicken I would give it a go if it stopped them.
Hi..I went into this curse at 40, I am now 58...did the same thing went off the HRT and thought hmmmm maybe I don't need em anymore...NOT...I need em, the sweats are still comin on and scatter brained...so got my doctor to reorder my HRT's...so that makes it 18 years for me...the I went from a size 5 to a 14 over the years and my hair has thinning badly....I'm hanging in there and patiently waiting on my script for my HRT to come thru....how much longer, I was honestly wondering if it may be something else but all the blood tests do not lead to anything else, my Mom wasn't even this bad...
I am 50 since 11/2012 I haven't had a period since April 2013 then about 4 weeks ago I started with the hot flashes.  I had no idea that this was just going to be the beginning of a very long process....kind of depressing.  I only have about 4-6 h.f. a day and maybe 1 during the night...I count my self as lucky compared to some of you....how horrible that some of you hardly get any sleep...don't know how one functions without a decent night sleep...ugh.  I can only pray mine don't increase, but it sounds like they likely will some day.  I am going to try all of the remedies that have been mentioned above...would be wonderful if one of them worked.  Oh I do have another to add.  It didn't work for me, but my message therapist said many do get relief from it.  The dose varies so it may take some time to determine how much to take....Apple Cider vinegar 1-4 tablespoons twice a day.  I tried it for about 4 days and didn't feel any difference so I quit (I just drank it straight and plugged my nose and then drank juice to get taste out).  You can mix it with whatever you want if you choose.  She then told me about trying Black Cohosh...so that is next on my list.  Good luck to you all....I will be praying for all of you too if you don't mind....I just feel so bad that we all have to go through this for such a long period of time...it's quite ridiculous.
I am 50, and have been struggling with hot flashes and interrupted sleep for about four years, with the last two being particularly bad.  My gyno recommended black cohosh (545 mg, not to exceed 900 mg per day) and valerian root (1030 mg).  Do a little research about them, as at least one of them can elevate liver enzymes - but after taking them both in the am, and the valerian again at night for about two weeks, the flashes have reduced significantly.  But I have been packing on the weight this summer, which is frustrating.  Good luck!
I am 54 & in desperation after years I went on HRT . It took a couple of months to work & now I sleep better & do not constantly sweat, I have also actually lost a few pounds in weight. To anyone suffering give them a try but the pills are best ,I found the patches fell off so were not effective. Don't just hope these symptoms will miraculously go away, they don't
I am so sad to see that this lasts "forever". I got on to see what I could do to minimize night sweats and to see how long I had to put up with this faze of life. It is almost funny that we never talk about this and it has come as a surprise; I am not sure I can ever look at women the same way again; I will always wonder how miserable they are. I guess that I shall get more serious about my exercise, get in to see my doctor, and know that this is normal!
You are so polite, lol, I am not so polite anymore. I hate this stage in my life but- now I understand how so many older women become bad tempered old bags, it's menopause! I was never taught anything about female problems as a child or told later for that matter so all of this was a big worry for me, I thought I was really sick. Now I have something that helps the sweating & insomnia, I can cope better with the other symptoms that simply cannot be helped. I would much prefer to live 5 years less but have a quality of life that allows me to be sane at least while I am still here
HRT brings relief to Hot Flashes BUT.... and there is ALWAYS a BUT isn't there.... it causes WATER RETENTION!  Hey I am beyond caring about the other side effects of HRT like breast cancer etc... but when you swell up so bad that you cannot get your feet into your shoes well......it is a catch 22.   HRT worked well for me for a couple of years then I developed EDEMA (water retention) so had to give it up, I went onto plain progesterone cream, it helped for the water retention but the HOT & COLD FLASHES are back with a vengeance!  I piled on weight whilst on HRT and just could not lose it, then found out it was the beginning of my water retention problems.
I am just viewing this so you probably won't see.. but in case you do I wanted to write about my experience.  In a nutshell, I cut out polyunsaturated fats to a minimum and after a few months my hotflashes went away.  PUFAs as they are known, are very inflamatory.  I also added vitamin k2 because it is probably the hardest nutrient to get from food.  Best.
The Menopause Overlords are taking over our bodies!  I had a hysterectomy clear over 20 years ago when I was 32.  Within a month, I had started night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, the whole nine yards.  At this point my doctor put me on HRT.  Immediately, I started feeling better.  I didn't feel like I was going crazy, and I actually got a decent night's sleep.  Since then, I lost of job and my insurance, too; HRT was no longer an option for me, and it's been a hot, sweaty, emotional roller coaster ever since.  It's been so bad that in the wintertime, I have gone out and stood naked in the snow.  (Thank God for high wooden fences, I wouldn't want to scare the children and horses!)  I did do some research; a study a couple of years ago did show that women that currently took HRTs had less symptoms (no surprise there), but those women who had taken estrogen in the past were MORE likely to have both the night sweats and hot flashes.  I'm not overweight (5'4" and 104 pounds), and fairly healthy - or would be if I didn't look like I had just ran the Boston Marathon...
I must say.. Hot flashes are horrible, have had them since 2009 and still going strong.  

I tried the Estroblend - regular and extra strength from Walmart and it seem to help for about 3 weeks, but it took a week for it to kick in.  But then it quit working.  Then proceeded to try Estroven, it did the same thing. ugh

I try to stay away from Sugar, Chocolate, Alcohol and spicy foods which seem to trigger or escalate them.  Sounds strange but I make sure to get a glass of ice when I have any of these, seems to help to chew on a few as well as stick a few down my shirt (crazy right? but it works!)

If I could walk barefoot, short sleeves with no collar (so nothing is touching the back of my neck) year round I believe my hot flashes would be cut in half.  

Well said! I have been going through this now for over 12 years. The last 5 years have been the worst. I had to stop leaving my home because I would get so frustrated after changing 2-3 times " due to me clothes getting drenched and my hair literally  looking like I just stepped out of the shower from Sweat " or actually making it half way to my grandson's birthday party with the AC on Maximum only to again have sweat dripping down my body. What I have tried is the Herb Black Cohosh. They say it can take up to 6 weeks to see all the benefits. I took it for 3 1/2 months with no relief. I have girlfriends that have said it helps them though.
I keep 4 Gel Ice Packs in my freezer and wrap one in a washcloth. I sit and have one on my neck and one for each wrist!! It is the only thing that cools me down. I am going to try the Flax Seed I read here on a post.

Good luck everyone. Post anything you have tried that helps so we all can pass it along and try it ourselves. Have a great day.
I have been having hot flashes on and off now for 5 or 6 years. They usually go away or become more infrequent in the winter when it gets really cold. I thought I was done with them but when it got hot this summer they came back. So, yeah , they come and go, just hoping for that day they're gone for good!!!
Just was wondering how you are doing with the flaxseed. I have been 7 years post menopausal and have been experiencing many hot flashes daily. They seem to go away and then bang, they are back. It has been about 3 months now with about 20-30 daily. I also experience the aura prior to the flash which consists of dizziness, an uneasy feeling with an upset stomach, and minutes later the flash comes on. It has created anxiety as well. I have been eating hemp hearts hoping they would help, but they have not. My last period was at age 52...I am now 59. It has been so bad. it is nice to hear I am not alone
Looking forward to your reply
Ellen.
Scandalous, I agree with your approach as oppose to pill-popping.  I had a GYN appointment today & she suggested Paxil to help alleviate the night sweats.  After watching so many prescription medication commercials, my own list of side effects started running thru my mind immediately - just like a commercial - side effects may cause blindness, liver damage, retina failure, etc.  I couldn't turn it off, so I jumped on the Internet as soon as I got home and started researching the possible damage(s) this drug can cause which is what led me to your post.   Long story short, you're right - diet & exercise are the key.
i am turning 49 in less than a week.  my periods haven't been regular for two years now.  

i was having hot flashes every morning from 3:30-5:30 and then again through out the day.

I recently tried Black Cohosh and it made a difference immediately.  i take it every day at lunch with food.  
Hormone Replacement Therapy
yes.

I was able to eliminate my hot flashes for a couple of years with a weekly estrogen patch, but now they have come back especially at night.  I am now 53. Not sure if a higher dose will help...I had planned to stop the patch in five years to reduce cancer risk.   Now I'm not sure how my body will react.
I have had hot flashes for almost ten years and lately they have become worse.  I also have insomnia and am becoming more forgetful.  I am going to consult my doctor and ask her to test for hyperthyroidism.

I have taken HRT in the past and would be willing to discuss this again with the doctor.  I laugh when I read posts telling me, "Oh, you can't do that because you might get cancer."  Insomnia is also a health risk.  It causes weight gain, fatigue, problems with memory, and depression for every sufferer.  It also increases risks for heart disease and diabetes.  

If men suffered from hot flashes, there would be an effective treatment for it.  Just sayin'.
I'm hearing you.. Men have very little understanding of what a lot of women endure. Wonder how many male doctors take this seriously. I fear i am going mad at times.It is just on 20 years since i had my hysterectomy. Straight into menopause at 37 is not fun!  Tried all the naturopathic remedies, increased my Soy content, water,  flaxseed, cut out sugar,caffeine, alcohol, don't use marj/ butter spreads.Cook only with light sprinkle of Olive Oil. Have tried anti depressants.Having a family history of heart and thyroid disease limited the type of HRT i could use. Until recently i used  HRT ( patches and pills) with mild effect ( still suffered 2 or 3 night sweats and 4 to 5 hot flushes during the day) Have not had a decent or uninterrupted sleep for over 10 years.Not fun working in retail sector working up a sweat in front of customers. Very debilitating and embarrassing. Have a foggy feeling in the head most of the time. Being anxious or flustered can bring on an internal!. I carry a little hand held fan in my bag wherever i go, it's my best friend. We recently lost our daughter to estrogen positive Breast Cancer. The jury is still out on whether soy products and other phyto estrogens and xeno estrogens ( plastics etc)  are cancer causing. So i am now off HRT and have tossed out all products related to soy. Sweats in the day are again every 30 mins and about every 2hrs at night. Have a friend who swears by estrogen capsules that is rubbed directly onto her tummy each night. Dr would not prescribe for me though as it could unfortunately increase the risk of breast cancer. I feel like i am getting no where fast.Last 20 yrs are a blur.  Surely this cannot go on forever?
I have been post menapausal since my late twenties and have experienced hot flashes from the beginning I am now 60 years old and the hot flashes are still going strong. I have tried everthing from hrt to herbal remedies and absolutely nothing works and it don't get any better with time I have been told by my doctor that the flashes will never go away.
Does anyone have reflux with their hotflashes? I sometimes worry I am going to have a heart attack......But I know it is aniexty
I'm 56, almost 57.  I had a hysterectomy when I was 44 and kept my ovaries, so it's difficult to tell when you're actually going through menopause..  I've been "heat intolerant" for several years and thought, at my age, that I had gone through the worst of it.  Not so!  I just started with hot flashes, all day, sometimes every hour or two, and night sweats, some nights worse than others.  Feel like I'm losing my mind!  I'm pretty dead set against HRT. I tried Estroven, and it made me so nauseated that I had to stop taking it.  I do have a friend that takes antidepressants, and it worked for her, but I'm not so sure about that either.  I decided I was going to muscle through it, but it gets so bad sometimes, I wonder what I'm going to do when the summer months kick in!
Yes, I have a lot of stomach trouble when I'm having bouts of hot flashes and chills. I'm 64, and haven't had a period for about 13 years. I had a few hot flashes and that was it-or so I thought. About 6 years ago I was having some work problems, and began having hot flashes chills reflux, couldn't eat, sick as a dog for about 6 months. finally straightened up, with an occasional hot flash until about 2 weeks ago when I started having hot flashes chills and the whole nine yards again!! Why would they stop for years, and then return?
Look at webmd.com under fentanyl patches. you have to hit the link at the bottom to see all the side effects. I had a total hysterectomy in 1999 and am still suffering hot flashes. I have been on 25 mg fentanyl patch and 7.5 norco for chronic pain and neuropathy. I have only been on the fentanyl patch for a week but my hot flashes have tripled. On webmd, one of the side effects is excessive sweating. I am going to talk to my dr tomorrow about using black cohosh.
Is this still helping you?? I thought my sweating was over...but they have come back with a vengeance!!! I am 57 and had a hysterectomy in 1992 and they left my ovaries. I am SO sick of sweating at any random time during the day and night!!! I will try almost anything!!!
When my hot flashes first started, I tried Black Cohosh. It worked for awhile. Then I ordered Amberen online. It worked great for me for about 2 years. Then it slowly stopped working (you can buy Amberen OTC now). I then started taking Estroven and it worked for about 6-9 months. I stopped for awhile and the hot flashes did not immediately come back, but they are back now. I started Estroven again about 1 month ago. So far, not a lot of relief but I'm going to stick with it for another month and see. My GYN recommends Evening Primrose Oil. I have not tried it but may do that and the milled Flaxseed. A friend takes Womens Ultra Mega Green from GNC and she said it works good for her. I will try that if the others dont work. Fortunately, mine come and go and aren't constant, though at times I feel like I'm losing my mind. I feel for all of you. This really *****! :)
Hi, Ive been going through hot flushes now for 4 years on and off...just went through the worst 8 week one...only sleeping 45 minutes., and waking with a night sweat, all night long.Day flushes not as severe as at night.  Been taking Blackmores vitamin E as it is a oestrogen inhibitor, also Blackmores brand is a naturally sourced vitamin E, less synthetic,Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 Executive complex every morning.  4 days hot flushes reduced completely, now 1.52pm and had one this morning about 8am and not severe at all. Im dancing on air and looking forward to sleeping tonight.  I know not all things work for all people, but give it a try. Good luck