Menopause Expert Forum
No period for five months now spotting. What to do?

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

I am 52 years old or so to be.  I have not had a period since last November.  This morning though I have some spotting.  I know nothing about menopause.  My mom died at 47 with thyroid issues (which I have), was diabetic shooting insulin, and had suffered numerous spells of depression.  She died of a heart attack.

I have been dealing with the thyroid issues for years now with no success.  I am currently taking T3 to assist in getting my tempurature to 98.6 consistenly.  Other than that I don't take anything.

So - was just wondering if the spotting is an issue or to be expected.

Thanks.
A. Menopause is defined as 1 year after the last menstrual period.  So you appear to be very close to menopause, but still in perimenopause, the time around and leading up to menopause.  One episode of spotting after 5 months is often a very normal thing.  If you go to a gynecologist, tell him or her about this on your next visit.  It is also a good idea to get a pap smear to see if there are any abnormal cells on your cervix, the opening of the uterus.  Some women also have spotting after intercourse because their vagina is dry and sex is irritating to the vaginal lining.  If you have spotting again, be sure to see your doctor and ask them to check you to see if there is a problem.  They might do an ultrasound of your pelvic organs in addition to a test.  They might also do a pap smear and they might check the lining of your uterus with a small catheter to see if there are any abnormal cells. It is a good idea to be seen by a healthcare provider and have a breast and pelvic exam at least once each year.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD