Menopause Expert Forum
No period on Provera

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

No period on Provera

I am 49 years old and have been taking a 12 day course of Provera for almost the last 2 years to control irregular bleeding due to hormonal fluctuations.  I seem to be in perimenopause as I have been having hot flashes lately and all tests done (endometrial biopsy, ultrasound) have been normal.  I have always gotten a period within a week of stopping the Provera till now.  I took the last pill 16 days ago and never got a period.  I understand that this is probably due to not producing estrogen which is line with where I seem to me at this stage of life.  I am scheduled to start the Provera again in a few days.  

Should I go ahead and take it and see what happens next month.  Or not take it.

Thanks!

Jane
The menstrual cycle is divided into two parts. The first two weeks produces mostly estrogen. The second two weeks mostly progesterone. Then both hormones drop and the lining sheds. The Provera is progesterone and if there is estrogen production from the ovary (or hormones one takes), the lining will shed after the Provera. The fact that there is no bleeding suggests the ovaries are not making enough estrogen and egg production is near stopping - or at menopause. It is unlikely that another Provera dose will make bleeding occur.

Talk with your doctor about whether or not you want to take estrogen and progesterone and if that is a good choice for you. It is also a time to get a baseline bone density and colonoscopy if you haven't already. Also talk about starting a multivitamin and calcium supplements if you are not taking them.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
I am 40 years old and my doctor recommended Provera and it did not work for me.  He ordered a FSH and prolacting blood test.
The FSH came back elevated at 79.4 which is menopausal and that is the reason why the provera did not work for me.  The prolactin test came back normal.  Please have the doctor order a blood test to test your hormones (FSH, estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, LH).
You might be in the menopausal phase.
If your FSH is elevated the provera will not work.  
I spoke to my doctor today.  He told me no more Provera and to come in for a blood test and we'll take it from there.