Menopause Expert Forum
Not Sure

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Not Sure

I just turned 30 in April. I am 5'3 125 lb. and my husband is 6'5 and 450lb.s My husband and I have 4 beautiful kids, which the last 2 cause a lot of damage to my insides because they were very big babies, one being 11lb. 3 oz. My periods have always been abnormal, but over the last year or two, they have been dwindling down to only 1-3 days a month. I missed August and still have not had one. I have been feeling nausiated, mood swings, but feeling more than exeptional over the last 2 days, sleepy during the day, not able to get to sleep at night. Trouble concentrating on work. Weight gain around my lower abdomen and hips like I am retaining water. The funny thing is that I never get the weight gain in the glutes or hips, but now i cant get it off. I took a HPT yesterday, after chugging lots of water, but it was negative. I read that water can dilute the results and I am planning on re-testing in 2 days, but still, I dont think I am pregnant. I am experiencing mild cramps throughout the day, but no signs at all of a period, which I usually get the brownish discharge about 1 week before my actual cycle. Nothing. I do, though, have a clear discharge when i urinate and clean. It is not watery as I have read, it is thick. I have also been experiencing a headache for the past 2 weeks that I cant seem to get rid of. My mother went through menopause in her 40's. Do you have any clue as to what might be going on with my body?
The first step is to get a pregnancy test. You can get one over the counter. If that is negative, it would be a good idea to be examined by your doctor and have some testing done. Hormonal problems like diabetes and thyroid disease can cause the types of problems you are having. So can an increase in the hormone called prolactin which can also be tested. Your doctor can also run a test to check for menoapause called FSH. That test will increase as menopause approaches. Depending on your exam results, your doctor might also want to do a pelvic ultrasound. The information from these tests should be very helpful in understanding the cause of your problems.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD