Menopause Community
One Ovary, Tubal Ligation, Menopause or Pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Hello, I'm 31 and am not sure if I could even be going through menopause at this point. When I was 15, I got pregnant with my oldest child. When I was 13 weeks pregnant with her, I suffered a torsed ovary and an oophorectomy was performed on the right side!! I now 16 years later have had 2 more additional children, and after my last child was born I had a tubal ligation performed. That was July of 2005. Well ever since I had my tubal, my periods were extremely regular, never missed one in 5 years. I have a 27 day cycle, 5-7 day periods. I am currently 2 weeks late in getting my period, home pregnancy test is negative, but I have all the symptoms of pregnancy. Would it be possible though if I'm not pregnant, that I could be in the early stages of menopause since I only have one ovary!! I called my doctors office and her reply to my question was that my tubal is PERMANENT, that there is no possibility I could be pregnant, and that I'm to young to be in menopause!! I'm so confused!! I have been told you can get pregnant if the tubal ligation fails!! They were not cut and tied, she just placed a ring clamp on my tube!! Was also told that I can be in early menopause because I only have one ovary!! Another piece of information I was given is that a home pregnancy test is not accurate if you have had a tubal ligation and you have to get a blood test!! Can anyone please answer for me, I'm going out of my mind with worry!!

It is possible you are having an ovarian cyst that is messing with your hormones and can be causing your issues.  Are you having any other symptoms such as an increase in gas or bloating, diarrhea or constipation, urinary frequency or urgency, back or abdominal pain?  I would insist on an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasounds to ensure you don't have an ectopic pregnancy (they can show less hormone in your pregnancy tests) or a cyst.