Ovulation after menopause possible
I am 50 years old, last period was 2 1/2 years ago. I recently began having breast tenderness, "egg white" vaginal discharge, and swelling in my vaginal area just like I was ovulating and preparing to have a period. These symptoms have lasted for 2 weeks. Could I really be ovulating without a period currently and is it possible after going without a period for so long? I thought I was in menopause. Additionally, 3 years ago I had a pitutary tumor removed. The symptoms of that were a discharge from my nipples and ceasing of my period. I have an annual mri to ensure the tumor has not returned with the last one just 6 months ago.
I think that you're still in the age range where fluctuations of hormones are still quite possible as the cause of your symptoms.  It could be an influx of estrogen and it may be that your surgery for the pituitary tumor threw you into a bit of an early menopause because it switched around your hormones drastically since our pituitary glands can also produce or affect our hormones.  It may be that something is "waking up" again in the hormone department.  50 years of age is not too young for this to happen.  I don't think that your menopause (period cessation) was natural so, it's possible that there's one or two hurrahs still left in those ovaries! :)