Menopause Expert Forum
Perimenopause and Day 23 of Bleeding
About This Forum:

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Perimenopause and Day 23 of Bleeding

I am a 49 year old women and have experienced symptoms consistent with premenopause for the past few  years.  For the past year I have had irregular periods;  Some months I experience very Heavy periods and other months light periods, or I may miss 1 month, then bleed normal the next. I also have months with symptoms consistent with PMS when my period is due and then not bleed at all or the bleeding may start after all symptoms have disappeared about 1-2 weeks later.  Each of these have seemed consistent with what I know about perimenoupause and last under 7 days.
I am a wee bit more concerned this time around.  
About 5 weeks ago I experienced intense symptoms consistent with PMS.  2 weeks later I had 2 days of very light breakthrough bleeding or spotting.  I did not bleed for about 1 week and then approximately 18 days ago I began bledding again.  The bleeding was bright red but  fairly light without any other symptoms.  I continued bleeding for the next 14 days and then without any interruption in the spotting/bleeding,  5 days ago bleeding became much heavier with clots and I experienced symptoms consistent with getting my period.  The bleeding appears to have lightened over the last 2 days and is more consistent with the end of my cycle but is still bright red in color.
23 days of bleeding seems a bit odd and definatley unpleasant.
I wondered if you could give me a bit of insight into whether or not this consistent with Perimenopause or if this cycle of  bleeding is reason for concern.