Menopause Community
Period after 5 years of Tamoxifen (after 2 yrs of menopause)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

I am a 5 year BC survivor (I had a double mastectomy in 2009 (at 47 years old) - due to a large area of high grade dcis in the left breast and lcis in the right breast - there was no lymph node involvement). I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years.
On July 1, 2014 the oncologist removed me from Tamoxifen (in April 2014 I saw my gyn) - he did a biopsy of the uterus and I could have sworn he said I was in menopause.  Needless to say I had not had a period since approx. 2012 (and even before I stopped my period in 2012 I would get it every six months or so).
Anyways, this morning I got up and have some brown discharge (almost like the start of a period) - later it was mixed with some blood (not alot and still more brown discharge).  I am so scared and concerned - I am 53 years old (could this be a normal thing?)  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced having a period when in menopause and just going off of tamoxifen.  Any info is much appreciated. God Bless.  Tina
I have not personally experienced this but know it is not all that uncommon. Cancer treatments can induce menopause (cessation of periods). Once those treatments are stopped, the menstrual cycle may start back up.

Also, it is not all that uncommon for women who have not had cancer treatment to have bleeding episodes after going a full year without a period. The ovaries never really shut down after natural menopause. They continue to produce hormones into a woman's 80's. So they can have some sporadic production of estrogen which can cause the bleeding. I have read that this is more likely to happen in the first 5 years after menopause.

However, they do say that any episodes of post-menopausal bleeding should be investigated even though it is rarely anything serious. Hoping that is the case for you! Let us know what you find out.