Menopause Community
Period return after 16 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Period return after 16 months

I am going through menopause and my period returned after 16 months and my doctor want to do an D&C to check for cancer.Should I be concerned and wait to see if my peroids return again next month?. Is this normal with menopause? I have been under alot of stress and thought this may be the problem... The period was normal it lasted 5 days.  what should I do?
This is a very common occurance!  If you were to do a search through the archives, you'll find this situation MANY times over.  There are women in here who have gone 5 years without a period or more and had them again! :)  

Generally, they will biopsy if we have any bleeding beyond a 12 month span of no bleeding.  It's standard and routine to do.  Some docs will use the "old route" and go directly to a D&C as their biopsy method.  It does have the benefit of cleaning out the uterus at the same time but, it also involves a general anesthesia and a half day or so of being in a hospital.  More and more doctors now are doing two things:  First is to do a transvagnial and abdominal ultrasound.  This checks out the thickness of the uterine lining and will tell the doc if anything is going on in terms of cysts on the ovaries or fibroids that may causing the bleeding.  If the uterine lining is above 4 mm's in thickness, they will automatically move to a second stage which is now, an office procedure, done in 15 minutes, no anesthetic involved, called an Endometrial Biopsy.  During this procedure, you are in "PAP position".  The doctor then inserts at thin tube, called a "Pipelle" in through the cervix and into the uterus, withdrawing a small sample of the endometrial tissue for biopsy.  It is a little uncomfortable at two points (entry through the cervix with a little pinch like sensation and a cramping feeling while they suction a thin bit of the tissue out).  The set-up takes up most of the time in this procedure.  The actual biopsy portion is only a few seconds.  

You may want to get a second opinion to find a doc that will do the in-office biopsy as opposed to a hospital procedure that requires a general anesthetic.  You especially might want to have a doc that will also do an ultrasound FIRST.  Generally, if the endometrial lining is 4 mm's (some say 5 is acceptable) or less, the likelihood of it being cancerous is pretty slim to nil.  

In the meantime, please know that 12 months of no periods is generally a guideline and an average as many women go back to cycling again for a bit even after that period of time has passed and nothing is wrong.  It can be a hormonal swing or one last hurrah for our ovaries.  Some women have found that they've gone back to periods again and really weren't in menopause at all to begin with!  Of course, it all still needs to be investigated and you're doing the right thing in doing so.  The only thing that I'd, personally want to do, is the least invasive testing method.  

By the way, I went 12 months with no periods and right on the dot of the 12th month, thinking I was done...I went back to cycling again.  I had 3 periods last year.  I've had an endometrial biopsy done several weeks ago (in office, no general anesthetic) for continual spotting now.  An ultrasound has shown a thickened uterine lining so, I'm going to be seeing my doc this week (22nd) to get the results of the biopsy and see what needs to be done.  I've been spotting now on and off since the beginning of April!  A royal pain! LOL  

Sending you best wishes!  Please update us as to how you are as your experiences will help others as well who are going through the same.  You know how you feel...others are going to go through the same type of thing.  You aren't the first and you won't be the last. :)  Hang in there! :)
If you haven't had a period for 12 months then it starts again yes it needs to be looked at..Dawn
yikes have been on every site. Have not been to an OBGYN in four years, my period stopped like two years ago. Got a period with severe cramps today. Have had severe endometriosis in the past. Should I wait till period stops then go to an OB
I looked up this site to read what others may be experiencing. I too had not had a period in 12+ months. Being 51 and the same age as my Mother when she went through Menopause. I thought it was be the end of periods for me and I was glad. Surprise, I  am now at the end of a five day period cycle. Apparently it is quite common from what I hear.