Periods after premature ovarian failure/estrogen therapy?
I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure in 2011 after not having had a menstrual cycle for three years. In June, my doctor put me on a twice-weekly dose of Premarin cream to treat vaginal dryness and atrophy. In August, I had premenstrual symptoms, followed by a surprise bright red period that lasted 4 days. I called my doctor in a panic, went in for an appointment, but was reassured that this can be normal with estrogen therapy (the doctor didn't even feel a need to examine me - I had just had my annual exam and Pap smear in June). I had also noticed some diminishment of symptoms such as hot flashes in the 2 or 3 months prior.

The doc did put me on a 10-day course of Provera to balance the estrogen. About 16 days after I stopped it, and 1 month after I had that initial "rogue" period, I had another 5-day period (September). And a month later (October), I had a third one, also 5 days. In both cases, the blood alternated between darker red and bright red before tapering off.

In November I had a recurrence of the hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms, which also corresponded with a period of heavy stress and anxiety. Those lessened gradually. I had vague premenstrual symptoms at the end of December, and today, I woke up to mild cramps and - you guessed it - another bright red period. It's also worth noting that I have missed my Premarin doses for the past 2 weeks.

Does this sound normal, as my doctor seemed to think, or should I seek a second opinion?
Cyclic estrogen and progesterone therapy will usually lead to cyclic bleeding upon withdrawal of the hormones. But it is difficult to comment without other details. Hence you may seek a second opinion. An ultrasound scan may be done to see the endometrial thickness and the condition of the ovaries.

Hope this helps.