Menopause Community
Pimples and Perimenopause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Pimples and Perimenopause?

It looks like I've entered Perimenopause a few months ago, at least, judging by how erratic my periods are being now and after talking to a doctor.

Now I have another unpleasant side effect. I noticed last month and this month (around the time of my period) I have been getting one to two pimples in a cluster on my chin. No where else, just there! I never got pimples much during my teenage years, just the occasional one or two pimples, but not a full blown acne on my face. Well, it's still just one or two, mainly, but it's horrible because it is big, painful, and even a bit itchy, and I can barely touch the area, it is so sensitive. Last month I couldn't stand it anymore and popped it (sorry if TMI) but I don't want scarring and I'm trying to be careful and keep the area clean. But it's back and in the same area. It swells up and it's so tempting to pop the stupid thing again because it's painful.

I've tried different acne washes and spot treatments but it didn't seem to work and in a way made it worse and the area around the blemish got so dry and flakey so I stopped using it. The products I used were supposed to be gentle, too. I don't know what to do or try now. I just hate this, not only because of how it looks during the breakouts, but it's downright painful and itchy.

I've always had good, clear skin and I hate this. :( I'm guessing it's all hormonal but is there anything at all that can help? Anything at all, especially for someone who already has dry, sensitive skin?
Anybody else have this? I feel like a teenager again but without the youth and vitality!
Hi April2,

I just finished reading your comments. I would suggest going to see your
family doctor first. Tell your family doctor what has been going on.
Your family doctor will probably give you a referral to a dermatologist.
At least that's how my family doctor works. Your own doctor may have
a suggestion for you or she or he may refer you to a dermatologist.
You can also ask for a  referral to a dermatologist. Good luck finding
some answers and getting some relief. Eve
I hear that Proactive skin treatment is excellent.  It's a bit pricey, but apparently it works.  Blessings, Blu