Menopause Expert Forum
Post laparoscopic hysterectomy & menopause
About This Forum:

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post laparoscopic hysterectomy & menopause

Greetings,  I am two weeks out from a laparscopic hysterectomy with ovaries removed.  I am a 7 year breast cancer survivor, diagnosed at age 41 with Stage 2b Her +, ER/PR -, partial mastectomy followed by Cytoxan, Adriamyacin, Taxol, 12 months herceptin clinical trial and 7 weeks radiation.  Have experienced two bouts with night sweats, 1st at the beginning of chemo which was treated by oncologist (after trying Vitamin E & black cohosh with guided imagery & meditation) by low dose Effexor which I was on for 2 years.  Regular periods stopped after 1st A/C chemo treament and resumed with extremely heavy period after about a year and a half (about a month after final herceptin)  Was diagnosed with hypothryoid and began daily synthroid, periods stopped for another 12 months then another bout of night sweats set in.  I chose not to go back on Effexor because of the difficulty when I stopped taking it (even with the step down approach) and because of concerns for the effect my emotional state because I was not depressed.  

3 months ago prolonged uncontrolled bleeding led to lap. hysterectomy.  I feel great and the recuperation has been amazing, except, night sweats are back and I have not slept for most of the last 3 nights.  I have tried Evening Primrose Oil with high lignan content but no effect.  What else can I do, and do you recommend Effexor again as a long-term option?  My blood pressure is on the low side of normal so the bp drug that my Dr's say also helps night sweats is not an option.
Thank you in advance for your advice and information