Menopause Community
Post menopausal bleeding
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post menopausal bleeding

Hi , I'm 55, last period was over 6 years ago. For the last 8 weeks I've been experiencing slight spotting , not often at first but lately almost every couple of days. I went to my GP who immediately fast tracked me for an emergency gynaecological consultation. I subsequently had a transvaginal ultrasound and outpatient uterine biopsy , still awaiting the results of the biopsy . Consultant has said if the biopsy comes back clear he will recommend Vagifem pessaries be prescribed by my GP.
On reading about Vagifem, I'm confused. I cannot find any information that says it is used to treat post menopausal spotting/bleeding, in fact quite the opposite , I've read it can cause spotting/ bleeding as a side effect. I have no other symptoms ie dryness, itching etc etc , which it appears is why Vagifem is usually prescribed.
I'm also concerned when reading the contra indications for prescribing Vagifem, as I have benign breast disease, and a family history on maternal side of breast cancer.
Anyone else been prescribed Vagifem for post menopausal spotting?

Tags: Post menopausal spotting, Vagifem
Hi,
Vagifem is a local oestrogen therapy (inserted into the vagina) that can help to relieve the urinary and vaginal symptoms associated with the decline of your body's oestrogen production during menopause. Vaginal bleeding after menopause may be a warning sign of cancer of the uterus. Your doctor should check any unusual vaginal bleeding to find the cause. Hence the ultrasound scan and biopsy has been done. If your biopsy report comes normal then cancer is ruled out. However with family history of breast cancer, estrogens should be used with caution. You can take a second opinion from another gynaecologist.
Hope this helps.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Menopause Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank