Menopause Community
Post-menopause period
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post-menopause period

I am 60 years old and have not had a period in 8 years. Earlier today I had slight cramping (which I occasionally do have) but this evening have started having a regular period. Bright red looking and feeling like I had several years ago. I've made no changes in diet or medication and am totally bewildered. Any ideas about what could be going on?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi Betsy,

What kinds of medication are you taking?

This is not terribly uncommon, but you really need to have this checked out by a doctor as soon as possible - just to be on the safe side.

Take care!

Lisa
Blank
I'm having the same problem right now.  I'm going to the doctor next Tuesday.  To tell you the truth, I'd by lying if I said I wasn't worried.  Any input anyone has will be appreciated.

(I appreciated your comment, Lisa!

Linda
Blank
Any stressful events in your lives lately?  

Have you both had your thyroids checked?  

These can cause hormonal fluctuations and bring on a period.  There are other causes as well such as fibroids that haven't shrunk fully or polyps.  So, try to calm down.  Most cases of post menopausal bleeding is not cancer.  It can range from benign growths to hyperplasia (overgrowth of endometrial tissues due to a bit of estrogen dominance or low progesterone levels) to atrophic vaginal tissues that can cause bright red bleeding (thinning of the vaginal walls) and may require hormonal vaginal creams.  

Of course, when this happens, it needs to be checked out thoroughly to rule things out but, by and large, the majority are not cancerous.  Even a precancerous thickening of the uterine lining which will require treatment by hormones or a D&C or possibly, at most, a hysterectomy.  There's all sorts of reasons so, remain calm and just have it looked at.  

Please come back and update us!  We're thinking of you!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Menopause Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank