Menopause Community
Prometrium Vs Provera To Thin Lining

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Prometrium Vs Provera To Thin Lining

I am 58 years old, have had an endometrial ablation, D&C and polypectomy in 2010.  I've had 4 biopsies (latest one end of January 2014, 2 sonohysterograms, countless pelvic/TV ultrasounds since.  I was given Provera (10 mgs for 5 1/2 MONTHS) last October (2013) to thin the lining.  All biopsies no signs of cancer, pre-cancer or hyperplasia.  I bled heavily and was so anxious that I felt paranoid.  I came off of it mid-March of this year.  Now the gynecologist wants me to take it again for 14 days every 3 months to produce a shedding of the lining until my estrogen levels normally drop.  My family doc gave me a prescription for Prometrium (200 mgs) because I was terrified of taking the Provera again due to side effects and heavy bleeding.  Any information on how one feels while taking Prometrium (vs Provera) and whether it works to bring on a flow but, not a flood?  I'm confused and cannot get my OBGYN by phone or even and appointment to talk to her.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

This discussion is related to Are Bio-Identical Hormones Drugs?.
Not an answer?  Nothing?  No comments by anyone?  Surely SOMEONE knows what I'm going through.  
It is hard to say how your body will react to the Prometrium because every woman is different. But from experiences I have read, Prometrium can tend to cause breakthrough bleeding / spotting but maybe that won't be your case. Would a lower dose of Provera maybe do the trick without such heavy bleeding? Being that you are 58, it would seem you should not have to deal with this for too much longer. Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes.
Hi, I am 38 and had the same terrifying experience with provera and am about to try 200mg prometrium after a month of heavy painful bleeding while on ortho tri cyclene (all to treat endometrial hyperplasia where I was spotting with clots continuously years after 2 D&Cs).  My body needs hormone balancing but I'm not sure what can help when not treated for sos long. I would love to know what to expect but even my well respected NYC obgyn didn't know what to give me.   I pray this stops the bleeding and am going to see an oncology obgyn this week.   They are the ones who need to treat these conditions, but often are hard to get to if its not true cancer.  Good luck to you and let me know how you feel on it.  I am currently sleeping with ice packs and getting up every hour or two to change.