Menopause Expert Forum
Question on FSH levels

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Question on FSH levels

Can a woman's FSH level fall instead of increase during perimenopause?  I recently had my hormone levels tested, my FSH level was only 4!   Last year it was 13.5.   I am almost 56 years old!
Is this normal?  I am tired of bleeding, periods, etc, and considering an ablation now.
If the FSH level is as low as 4, ask your doctor to check a blood test for Estrdiol at the same time. It is possible your body is making estrogen and that is lowering the FSH level. However, until menopause is reached, FSH levels do fluctuate in a rather wide range. However, 4 is not typical and suggests something is not usual and should be explored further. At the very least, send the blood to another lab at the same time so it can be seen if the lab testing is just off. That is unlikely, but one explanation.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD