Menopause Community
Severe Thigh Cramps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Severe Thigh Cramps

I am a 49 year old lady in meanopause.  Rather than have hormone replacement my doctor has put me on a mild anti-depressant.  He clearly is unable to stop the hot flashes but he feels we can control them and other symptoms by taking a mild dose of  Citalopram.  I have been getting SEVERE!! thigh cramps.  Most times in the night but I have also had them hit me out of the blue while sitting.  I feel like I have been kicked by a horse as it hurts so bad and continues to be sore for weeks afterwards.  I fear these cramps so much that if I feel the slightest hint of it coming on I fly out of bed and stand on that leg (not easy to do..lol)  For someone who has never had a thigh cramp...it paralyzes you.  The pain is intense and my husband bless him...gets up with me and tries to soothe me.  I scream and cry until it passes.  With the hot summer days here I drink as much as I can due to the heat and the hot flashes to try and replenish my fluid.  If I drink much more I will float away and as it is, I am up 4-5 times a night to empty my bladder.  In hind-sight, drinking the amount of fluids I am it cannot be related to dehydration...any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I find I am holding myself in a tense manner for fear another thigh cramp will hit me.  I get them in my toes too when I retire for the night.

I am tired and emotional with this menopause and just want to not have these THIGH CRAMPS!!!

So...what do you think?
may i suggest you find a sports clinic  / massage theraptist/ maybe take a muscle relaxer/  i also have the cramping , severe at times and have found the sports clinic i go to works wonders for me, mine is caused by post polio syndrome, i also do the mind control, using a method of sending a signal to each muscle to relax, by fighting the muscle torsion you are increasing the tension and the nerve jangling.  research body relaxing.  even now with my arm and leg both in casts i am able to control the spasems by complete  relaxation signals.  good luck
Your pain sounds awful! It must be worse not getting a proper nights sleep on top of it all. I used to get charlie horse in middle of night in my calves all the time and too would be woken up out of bed sensing it coming on. Yours sounds even worse. Have you tried stretching? I was having bad back pain and started some light exercise and it actually helped. Also, I always try the heat pad. This is not easy when you have hot flashes too but it helped my back pain also. I hope this goes away for you soon and you get some good ZZzzz's. Be well! Sorry...my advice seems lame but you never know!
Hi l all suffer leg cramps l bite my bottum lip gently it seems to help just dont bite to hard and yes l walk for 30 minutes a day helps with the hot flashes and mood swings all the best
I wanted to say thanks to all of you for taking the time to give me your thoughts.  I am going to go to the doctor and see what he can do for me.  It is 11:05 and I am afraid to go to bed for fear of a cramp in my thigh..lol.  It is already so very sore.  Thanks again and I will let you know what my doc says.  Thankfully he has a good sense of humor..lol
You may have LOW Potassium in your system.

If you have frequent and severe leg cramps at night, talk to your doctor. Treatment results vary. But the most effective treatments based on current research are:
? Vitamin B-12
? Gabapentin

If you do get a leg cramp, you may be able to make it go away by:
? Walking on the affected leg
? Massaging the affected muscle
? Straightening your leg and flexing your foot toward your knee until you feel the calf muscles stretch
? Applying a cold pack to the affected muscle
? Taking a hot bath
To help prevent night leg cramps:
? Drink plenty of fluids during the day.
? Stretch your leg muscles before bedtime.
? Get adequate potassium in your diet.

Do not take:
? Certain medications, such as albuterol, niacin, diuretics, and some calcium channel blockers and antipsychotic medications
? Alcohol use

I suffer from Charley Horse cramps as well.  They are always in the inner thigh and at night.  The pain is so severe I have to walk for sometimes 15 minutes around the house and after the pain subsides, the aftermath of the pain remains in the thigh for sometimes a couple weeks.  Last year I was told that my blood pressure was slightly high and the test said my potassium level was very low.  I was put on a medication called triamterene 37.5MG/Hctz 25 MG.  I too had to urinate 5 to 6 time a night and the doctor said I was urinating all my potassium out and that this pill would keep the potassium from leaving my system.  When I take the medication right, I do not have Charlie Horses as often.  So to the lady that has to urinate all night, you might be urinating all your potassium out and need some kind of supplement, if not medication.  The medication is not expensive, aroung 14.00 a month.
I have searched for "severe leg cramps" before and never found anything until I added "severe inner thigh cramps" and found all these interesting tips on this page. It made me realize I've been having these for about the same length of time I've been on triamterine! I now have new ammunition when I return to my doctor. She didn't have a clue when I explained the symptoms (same as Lynn and Penmarko). I will certainly keep a bottle of potassium on hand and hopefully this will help. The cramps seem to be increasing (formerly maybe once a year, now up to 4-5 times a year....and once I have one, it's easy to get another and another over 2-3 days, and the pain afterwards is pretty bad, too. Thanks to all of you for your answers (and symptoms....I thought I was the only one!)....and I hope all your pain goes away.
This was my second inner thigh cramp good lord they are painful.  Until reading here I thought I was having a significant problem.  I want to share a quick fast remedy to assist at the time you get a cramp anywhere.... Please belive me it works like a charm...
pull down hard on the opposite ear lobe and do not stop until the muscles have relaxed.  Naturally get out of bed and get your feet on a cool flat surface if necessary and I found this helpful hold onto the back of a chair or piece of furniture and increase the amount of pressure to your feet then when things are subsiding start to walk around... Keep ahold of that ear lobe always applying pressure it relieves a significant amount of pain and helps you move through the process a whole lot quicker.  I am getting me some bananas today I agree that if you dont have a good dose of potassium in your body it leads to this last week I ate a banana every morning this week I had not boughten any and I have had cramps daily.  Good Luck!
The cramps I have are like yours exactly. I'm so sorry - people just don't understand the horror of it. Be sure to have your doctor check ALL your meds, and don't have too many of them that draw water out of your system (for instance, diuretics -  in my case, triamterine for high BP, and also Miralax because of all the other meds I take!). I take potassium any time I have even an inkling that a cramp might be coming. Be sure to follow guidelines by BEST59. Since I read that, I haven't had a cramp in quite some time, knock wood. Best of luck to you, and much thanks to all on this board, especially BEST59!
I've finally discovered that putting both hands on the thigh and using them to jiggle it back and forth seems to work better than anything else I've tried. Deep massage just seems to make it worse. Sometimes I'll take a muscle relaxant before bed if I've been getting them frequently.
I have suffered form severe inner thigh cramps form 20 plus years and they have been so bad that I have actually passed out from the pain! Im glad Im not alone and crazy. I guess I will tell my doctor about this I thought it was just me thanks for all your comments From Little01
wow i thought i was the only one having this pain. i have had this for years but now i notice since i have been doing the atkins diet for the last month they are coming more frequent.I use to get 1 inner thigh cramp and then maybe couple of days later the other one but lately its both at the same time and its driving me crazy and in tears  and not getting any sleep is killing me i will try some of the remedies hopefully will help.. by lydia
You are an angel Best59!!! i happened to have a inner thigh cramp on sunday morning(june 28) about 2am i thought about how you said to flex your foot up and that help immensely!! and my thigh isn't sore either...i also had another cramp on the other thigh today(july 1st) did the same thing that helps alot if i only can get rid of those inner thigh cramps all together!! i have boost up my potassium intake which is helping now i will go to the health food store and purchase some b12 vitamins so stay tune.....

For leg cramps I found that drinking a small glass of tonic water or diet tonic water each day cuts out the cramps.  Mine were mostly while on Atkins diet and either leg cramp hylands homeopathic or tonic water, both of which have a small amount of quinine were the only things that helped for mine.  I hope you're able to find what helps for yours.
I am a new reader for this and it has really helped me to know that I am not alone with these thigh cramps, I expirenced this for the very first time ever and I agree Lord have mercy, its aweful and I truly believe in my case its not enough fluids and my potassium is low, this happen on a Friday night and I had to get up out of my bed I couldn't run nor stand that well the pain is so bad that you are in tears, my husband tried to rub but I thanked him for his concern but I to try whatever I could to help me. I have had the cramps in the calf and I thought that was bad but I feel better to know you all have shed much light on this situation, I  going to get some bananas and take my potassium and I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for this moment. RAYBOV1  
I get severe inner thigh cramps and cramps in other parts of my body that no one I know has ever had. My doctor has suggested I drink tonic water for the quinine but there has to be a better idea. I drink plenty of fluid and take calcium
I too have these horrible cramps.  I have always attributed to the cause of dehydration but have noticed lately that there is no way that is the problem.  I drink water all the time.  I think it has more to do with potassium.  Anyway, not that its a cure but it helps the pain go away faster, take a teaspoon of yellow mustard.  Tastes nasty but the cramps will go away really quickly. Of course if you have reflux it doesn't do too much for that but I can deal with that a lot easier than cramps that cause me to cry.
Hi, I was just wondering what the albuterol does to you?  I just got these cramps in my thighs, @ the same time.  And I have been using my inhaler cause of my alergies (allergies)..
A related discussion, Magnesium was started.
GOD! Just flew outta bed with my third inner thigh muscle spasm of the night. I have been diagnosed with congenital spinal stenosis so its not gonna go away. I medicate but its not helping. Even had two nerve root blocks last week. When I get them, its in both legs from top to bottom at once and is the worst pain I've EVER had!  HELP!
hi,  i also have  severe thigh cramps that start just above the knee on my inner thy then spread   to encompass the hole thigh. id rather have a baby. like you i  dread the horrid things.  potassium dose help a lot in my case. i didn't find the banana as good as the tablets though.  i fix the pain  with one method two ways. firstly i have constantly plugged in at my bead side a hand held heat massager using the  smooth top not the bumpy add ones and  pres it firmly in to the inner thigh or rub the hole thigh witch ever works best. alternatively i have two massage  one for each leg if they both go  at once. i think there called beans naturally there beans shaped soft massagers and great to travel with as there light. i put one under each leg and relax if possible ( there supposed to be rubed but that dosnt work). the wight of my leg turns them on you might have to shuffle it a bit if your legs not heavy enough, cross your feet and push down with the other leg if your just using one, or sit up on the side of the bed and use the wight of your body to do it. they both work quickly of the two i think the bean's just win the trick is getting enough  wight on top to turn them on i do hop this is of help to some one it really is the most awful pain kind regards kay.
  p.s im dyslexic so please excuse any errors i have not spotted.  
I have these at times, had one in my right thigh last night and if I wrote about it my story would look just like yours.  I have em if I sit too long watching a movie, and sometimes for no reason. Worst pain ever and no one can help you I have had them in both thighs before, thought I would die, I drink pickle juice and eat salt, an old remedy a 105 y/o lady told me, the over the counter medication for leg pain helps also.  I took Quinine for awhile but it has side effects so I am still looking for something and my Doc has no clue what is causing them.  Good luck and if you find a remedy please let me know..  Deb57
I am so sorry to hear that so many of you SUFFER with these inner thigh cramps.  I have had my share of leg and foot cramps but nothing compares to the pain caused by the inner thigh cramps.  For several months I was having them twice a week.  I was to the point that I feared going to bed. I tried everything but nothing worked.  THEN someone told me about soaking in Epsom Salt. IT WORKS!!! I soak in a hot tub, half full of water,with 4 cups of Epsom salt, usually once a week. It has stopped the foot, calf, back of thigh,and inner thigh cramps. I don't know if it has to do with the magnesium, salt, or what,  but IT WORKS! I notice that I sleep really well after soaking and have learned that magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer.  Read the label...it's not for everyone but hopefully it will help a few of you.
Hi:
I too have suffered from excruciating thigh cramps! Dehydration is one cause. The best solution I have found that helps in minutes is a tablespoon or two of vinegar in a less than half glass of water. I'm telling you it works !!! Everyone that I have told to use this says it's an instant life saver. My biggest fear is being in public and having a severe leg or thigh cramp, so I mix some vinegar and water, in a water bottle and keep it with me at all times. Also keep it by your bedside because it can be painful to try and walk to the cabinet to get it ! I hope this helps others on this site. My family and friends swear by it!
omg i was thinking it was when i was only on the atkins diet  i get severe theigh cramps so bad i scream in horror nothing works ive tried pottassum pills and quinnie in tonic water but they still come at night i pray i find a way to get rid of them.
i will try anything  thankyou so much
that hylands leg cramp do not have quinnie in them anymore  so it hasnt worked for me they just changed it to have no quinnie in them  im so upset so i tried tonic water and still had the severe cramps.
I get these when I am on my feet a lot and busy. I think it is part dehydration foe me and standing to long. It is so PAINFUL! I jump out of bad and scream and cry like a baby. I can't breathe, my husband gets out of bed and for me I need to stretch completely up and straight and elongate the muscle. Breathing is key also. The leg upper inner thigh hurts for days afterwards. I am afraid to sleep afterwards. I prop my pillowsup and lay with my leg completly straight.
Just an update. Over the past couple of years, the Drs have reduced a LOT of my meds, and I've been taking only 37mg triamterine and no Miralax. Also, she said I might be getting TOO MUCH water (about 12-13 glasses a day), and took me off all vitamins and supplements except for 1 senior centrum every other day, and 1 triple strength glucosamine/chondroitin a day. I do take 2 neurontin, and 2 tramadol a day for pain. With this routine, I have had only a very few "close calls", where I was able to leap to my feet and do the stretching, which prevented the full cramp (once it grabs hold, there's no getting out of the position you're in, and you have to wait it out and just cry. Thank goodness, I haven't had that one in a couple of years). I even had vicodin on hand for that, which helped keep it from coming back (once you have one, it's easy to have another). Good luck!
I meant to mention that I had forgotten about Seamyst's "pulling down hard on the earlobe opposite the pain" (see above Feb. 2008). It's definitely worth a try!

Incidentally, "leg cramps" and "charley horses" were mentioned above. I've had both of those, and the severe pain is about 10 times worse. I'm serious.
I am so sorry you are having so many issues.  I too, suffer from many ailments and the thigh cramps is one of them.  The docs had me on many medications (Neurontin - gave me seizures), (Tramadol - made me have blood in my stool), and (Vicodin  - very addictive and ultimately becomes ineffectual).  I also ended up in the hospital for not getting enough oxygen to my brain from taking too many medications - so beware.  But I digress...
the best thing I have found for nighttime leg cramps is good old TUMS.  I just had a cramp, rolled over to my night stand and took 2 and within a minute or less it was gone.  (I would have gone back to sleep, but I woke up the dogs and had to let them out! lol)  Good luck and please, if I leave you with anything, remember this...  the more pharmaceuticals you take, the less your body is able to help itself heal.  Obviously, not all medications, but many are prescribed to mask the symptoms,  not to cure or heal them.  Take care!