Menopause Community
So scared of gyn tests

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

So scared of gyn tests

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right forum. I'm 61, post-menopausal, never had children and am not sexually active. Internal exams hurt like hell. Even the so-called 'painless' pap smear hurts. My urine samples had traces of microscopic blood. Also I recently saw extremely tiny specks of blood on toilet paper after wiping. Therefore I had a transvaginal ultrasound and it hurt when the probe was inserted. Ultrasound showed small cyst on ovary, fluid in womb and some irregularities in the womb, though the lining isn't too thick. I'm to see a gynecologist and it seems I'm to have a uterine biopsy and a hysteroscopy. Help!! In my area hysteroscopies are usually given without anaesthetic. I've heard women who have had children say it even hurts with a local anaesthetic. I don't want a general either (though don't know if that's an option) as I'm scared of being put under, especially having had bad reactions in past to GA. I'm tempted to refuse the tests as I really don't know if I can tolerate them, but I need to find out about (and hopefully rule out) cancer. I'm so worried. How have others in similar situations coped?
I've had a hysteroscopy and they can give you some versed to relax you and also make you not remember it....any time I've been given it I am asleep in seconds and have no memory!!!  ask and see if it's an option...not having this done is not an option as you need to know if there is something you need to be treated for!!!
Thank you for your helpful comment. When I see the gyn I'll ask what are my options about pain control. From what I've read it seems there is a diagnostic and an operative hysteroscopy. It sounds like most women find the diagnostic one tolerable with little or no anaesthetic (though I don't know if that means | will). I'll let them try if it's only diagnostic. You're right to remind me that not having this done is not really an option. My mother didn't like seeing the doctor or having medical tests either. She died of womb cancer.
You're post menopausal, you've never had kids and you're not sexually active. Those three facts would make any sort of vaginal exam more painful. Add to that your fear/anxiety about the tests and how that will cause all your muscles to tense, including the vaginal muscles, and it's easy to understand why this procedure would be difficult for you.

You need to be really open and honest with the doctor about your fears and concerns. There are a great many things they can do to make the procedure as painless as possible. Discuss your options before you go in for the procedure so you will know exactly what to expect. Knowing exactly what will happen will lower your aprehension.
And IF, during the procedure, you are uncomfortable or your pain level is more than you can tolerate, do not hesitate to speak up.

I think the most important fact you need to keep in mind is that your mother died of uterin cancer which runs in families. No amount of pain, discomfort or embarrassement should stop you from getting this test. All of those things are temporary. The "other" thing is, well, rather extremely long term.

You are only 61 girlfriend! I'm 60. I don't know about you, but I've got a bucketfull of stuff I still want to do.............so bite the bullet and get it done!
I'm sure you'll be fine! Let us know how you're doing, OK? We're all rooting for you!
Peace
Greenlydia    
Thank you for your support. It's very much appreciated. Even if the test hurts like hell I'll get over it. As you say, it will only be temporary. It'll be worth it to either stop me worrying that I might have cancer or to diagnose it early enough to treat if I have. Yes, we girls have only just reached our sixties. A 'bucketfull of stuff I still want to do.' Yes, me too.

By the way I enjoyed reading your 'About Me' profile. Wot an interesting life and positive outlook! Cheered me up no end!
Update:
.
I was admitted today as a day case for a hysteroscopy and biopsy under general anaesthetic. Woke up from the anaesthetic feeling a bit rough and with stomach cramps, but I felt relived to think it was over. Then got told they couldn't open my cervix and had to abandon trying for risk of perforating organs. So now I'm no further. Seeing gyn in 2 weeks to consider what to do next.

Has anyone else had a failed hysteroscopy for this reason? I thought they'd at least have been able to do it under general anaesthetic.