Menopause Community
Still having hot flashes-why??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Still having hot flashes-why??

Hi- Am I still going through menopause, started  menses at12 yo,started peri in 1997 and still having hot flashes. I am relarively healthy, but have some fatigue (I do not sleep well due to flashes...some during day but mainly at nite)

What could be the cause??
Deborah
You started perimenopause in 1997, but did you actually go through menopause yet?  Peri can last for more than a decade.  Have you had a period in the last year?  If so, it's not surprising the hot flashes are still with you.  Your body is basically going to give you hot flashes while it adjusts to changing hormone levels, so you still having them suggests your hormone levels are dropping and have not levelled off.
The first hot flash I got was in 2000. It was a cold day and I suddenly felt really warm! So it wasn't that unwelcome!
Anyway, I can say that on the odd occasion I still get them now (menopause well over-and-done with) Though they are few and far between nowadays. Extreme tiredness can bring one on, working when I should be resting, dietary indiscretions, (too much food before bed) etc.... But generally they do fade off, but it can take a few years.
I am now left with a slightly increased sensitivity to heat, which I didn't have before the menopause. I used to love the hot sunny days, now I prefer a cool breeze as well....put it that way. (nothing wrong with my thyroid by the way)
So what I'm saying is menopause sort of fades gradually away, but it can differ slightly with each person. Some women get a shorter period of symptoms, and some get a longer period.
Thanks for your answers...My last period was in 2004 ...I just hope the flashes and fatigue are over soon.

Thanks again
Deborah
Hello~I have read and heard from others that menopause can go one for many years, it really all depends on the individual.

To help alleviate the symptoms, I would like to suggest bio-identical hormones. These are hormones that are exactly like our own and they are very safe. You can get them at a health food store or on line. A good progesterone cream is worth its weight in gold and they really do help.

I also recommend the books by Dr. Lee, he wrote some great books that deal with menopause and they are really informative, I highly recommend them to all women going through menopause or perimenopause.
Thanks Sassy..Last year  the Dr. prescribed me HRT (a combo) and all that did was start my period again and make me very anxious.
I will try the bio identical hormones...willing to try anything as I am getting stresset to the max):
I found Agnus Castus herbal tincture helped me a lot. Sage also helps, which can be drunk as a tea if you don't mind the taste. Sage will stop the drenching night sweats which break sleep and can leave you feeling exhausted day after day.

Menopause really can drag your a** !
Oh lordy!  I am 47 years old... mother of 3 grown daughters...and going through menopause.  I have no periods. (Novasure took care of that.) But I do have the following:  hot flashes once or twice during the day...but severe hot flashes at night...several times....about once a month I have a period of time where they are the worse...and combined with moments of forgetting my pin number of my ATM card, not being able to quickly calculate things...forgetfulness...just for a few minutes.... exhaustion.... bloating at times..  I drink a lot of water.  I do smoke...I need to quit... I think it sometimes makes it worse... I hate menopause right now... I have hair growing out of my face...I'm constantly plucking wild hairs... my beauty regiment has increased trying to keep everyone from noticing what I am battling...hahaha... People say I look 35...but I am 47!  I hate the hot flashes.  I get drenched when they occur.  If they occur while I am out in the sun...I feel like I am going to pass out if I don't cool down immediately.  Its awful.  This has been going on for 3 years....please tell me there is something that will help.  I've tried Estroven over the counter...but it doesn't help.  What does?