Menopause Expert Forum
Stopping CombiPatch

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Stopping CombiPatch

I have been using the Combipatch for about 2 years. The dosage is 0.05/0.25 one patch a week. I want to quit taking it to see IF I still need to take it. Can you tell me, is it ok to stop taking it abruptly?
It is OK to stop the patch abruptly from a health point of view. However, for many women, it works better for them to taper off of estrogen. You might try increasing the time between patch changes from 7 to 8 days for a few weeks, then to 9 days, etc. While not necessary, it can help lower the chances for symptoms. Discuss more details of tapering off with your doctor, but this is the general approach. If the reason for taking the patch was hot flashes, the flashes return in about 40% of women.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thank you for answering it helped ease my mind......